Female-5'7-143lbs WHY do I still have a 34 inch waist?

Options

Replies

• jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Options
    I agree with the above posters. A lot of it is probably genetics. I lost 30 pounds but my calves are stil 14 inches. That's the same as when I started. I would have to stop working out and drop to an unhealthy weight to get them smaller.
  • YouLittleJerk
    Options
    I'm going to go for the obvious question. Are you measuring your waist in the right place?

Measure at the narrowest part of your torso, where your body naturally bends. That's your waist.

A lot of women measure at their belly button, and that's often NOT the actual waist. My waist is about two inches above my naval.

THANK YOU! I keep getting conflicting responses as to where exactly to measure. I kept measuring where my jeans/pants sit with is my bellybutton or a little above....I just measured where my body bends, which is also 2 inches above my navel, and got 32 inches (which makes me feel a bit better). Since I have more of an hourglass shape my hips are a couple of inches wider than my waist....Now I just have to tone and hopefully those 2 inches will melt away in 7 weeks.

Thank you again :)
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You work three jobs, and go to school, sounds stressful. Stress causes you to release cortisol which causes your body to hold onto, you guessed it, belly fat.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think 1000 calories is way too low, especially as you are nearing your goal.
    Your body will hold onto fat more if you are eating too little. Even 1200 is too little for someone doing as much as you are.
    Also, weight training might mould your body better than focussing on the scale number will.
    My waist shrunk from doing weighted side bends, using a 10kg weight.
  • lileas
    lileas Posts: 4
    Options
    Forgive me but 1,000 calories isn't much and that's not even enough for your body to survive on in a day. I'm 5'4" and have a 32" waist and I eat about 1800 -2000 calories a day. The mid-section is made in the kitchen as they say.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'm going to pretend I didn't see the 1000 cals a day info and just answer the thread title.

It is either:
    1. Genetics: That's your genetic shape. Lots of shapes out there: pear, apple, hourglass, round, rectangle, diamond, and a million ofther names.

2. Genetics: That's the last place you lose weight.
  • morganmt
    morganmt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    1000 calories a day?!?! Sounds like you need a new nutritionist.

That is exactly why you aren't seeing changes...you aren't eating enough. It also looks like your fat, carb, and protein counts are way too low. MFP gives you a bare minimum of 1200 calories per day and that's not even really enough to reap the benefits of the exercise you are doing. It looks like you are putting some good work with exercise though :smile:

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It will give you some insight to how much you should be eating based on your activity level.

Best of luck!

It's really me, not her :( she has me doing 1200 but I work 3 jobs and go to school at night so I don't find myself eating the full 1200 calories. I work my butt off (literally) and to come this far and not reach my goals because I am not eating enough would be silly. I am going to make sure that I eat my full 1200 a day (add more lean protein possibly) and see how that works out for me. I am also going to read that site more in depth as well! Thank you :)

Honestly, even 1200 cals is too low. You're not doing yourself any favors by eating that little, especially if you work 3 jobs and go to school - you're a busy lady and you need to fuel your body! Getting enough calories in requires preparation and planning, which is exactly what this site is for. 1000 calories a day is starvation and is not a sustainable plan for weight loss.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Some of it is genetics and just your body shape but you don't have much muscle. You have tiny arms and legs so I'm guessing you hold all your weight in your midsection and a little bit in your hips. If you don't already lift, start.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I had a much, much thicker waist when I lost weight eating 1000 or under a day than I did eating 1800-2000+ and strength training.

Example... here's the pair of jeans I wore when I was about 130 lbs eating 1000 calories a day several years ago, vs the jeans I wore at about 130 pounds with more calories and strength training. Eating and exercising right made me retain more muscle and lose more fat, so I'm smaller at the same weight.

IMG_3265.jpg
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Your nutritionalist needs to be shot ! * bangs head on desk*...... she has basically ruined your metabolism, made you skinny fat and has not done you ANY favors. 1000 or 1200......either way is about 1000-1500 calories to low for your height.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    This thread is the prime example of why you need to be careful when seeing a "nutritionist".. Is this person also your trainer? At your gym? Cause ya.. 1200 calories at your height is still not acceptable and your not even hitting that.. Ya know whats gonna happen when you eat.. ya I do.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    You work three jobs, and go to school, sounds stressful. Stress causes you to release cortisol which causes your body to hold onto, you guessed it, belly fat.

Beat me to it.

OP, Your lifestyle, plus your restricted calorie intake is almost certainly increasing your cortisol. When we're stressed, we release cortisol, which in the jungle would have been burned off by running away form the tiger causing the stress. Now that we don't have jungles or tigers, it doesn't go anywhere. When exposed to prolonged, high levels of cortisol, women (and men) store fat around their waists because it's close to the liver, which is the organ responsible for converting fat to energy. Because we're stressed, our bodies believe that they might need to do that fast (look, there's a tiger!) so the fat is kept close by.

Eat more - via the Roadmap link, which you should ALSO show your "nutritionist"! - and see if you can take 15 minutes a day to relax more. I do have personal experience of the change in shape a reduction in stress can cause, as I went from apple to pear over the course of year or so without changing weight, and then back to apple again when I got stressed and gained weight.

ETA - yes, genetics is part of it, but it's almost certainly not a huge amount compared to the cortisol.
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Here is the Heart & Stroke on how to measure your waist. I though I would link it to you as it has step by step instructions on how to properly measure your waist.

http://www.heartandstroke.com/site/c.ikIQLcMWJtE/b.3876195/

34 inches is considered healthy, so that is very positive! However I agree with othe posters that you are NOT doing yourself a favour by consuming too few calories. Up your amount and chances are you'll see the scale start sliding in the proper direction. Also, keep track of your sodium intake. Here is Canada they recommend that healthy adult women consume no more than 1500 mg of sodium per day.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I agree with almost every post here. I am pear shaped to the extreme. I'm 165lbs, 5'7 and am 27 waist, 32 belly button and 43 hips, its my body type and I drop from my lower half last. With 10lbs left my thighs and hips are just now progressing, a one point. I was at a 20" waist to hip difference, down to only 15ish.

I also eat 1900-2000 calories a day, at my lowest was 1650 calories when I first started. I would look for a new nutritionist as it seems as though this one is a bit off on healthy methods for long term. (Unless you have some health condition you didn't include in this thread
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Your nutritionalist needs to be shot ! * bangs head on desk*...... she has basically ruined your metabolism, made you skinny fat and has not done you ANY favors. 1000 or 1200......either way is about 1000-1500 calories to low for your height.

Agreed, 1200 is still too low. you need to feed your body enough to support all this work you're making it do.
  • YouLittleJerk
    Options
    Once again, the whole reason I lost my weight to begin with was BECAUSE of my nutritionist....Due to her, I lost 87 pounds in a little over a year.... I started last June with her doing about 1500, 2000 calories until 2 weeks ago. She only changed it because my body plateaued and I only had 10 more pounds to go which I wanted to lose by late August. I have been eating this entire time but just need the last 10...actually 7 pounds to lose. I spoke to the head trainer and my gym and we did an assessment...turns out all I have to do is tone by continuing my strength training/boxing and my waist will shrink.

Thanks though.
  • YouLittleJerk
    Options
    This thread is the prime example of why you need to be careful when seeing a "nutritionist".. Is this person also your trainer? At your gym? Cause ya.. 1200 calories at your height is still not acceptable and your not even hitting that.. Ya know whats gonna happen when you eat.. ya I do.

I have been eating this whole time (2000 calories) until the last 2 weeks b/c I am down to my last 7 pounds...I have kept it off and will continue to. Plus, I work out 5 times a week. Thanks.
  • YouLittleJerk
    Options
    Here is the Heart & Stroke on how to measure your waist. I though I would link it to you as it has step by step instructions on how to properly measure your waist.

http://www.heartandstroke.com/site/c.ikIQLcMWJtE/b.3876195/

34 inches is considered healthy, so that is very positive! However I agree with othe posters that you are NOT doing yourself a favour by consuming too few calories. Up your amount and chances are you'll see the scale start sliding in the proper direction. Also, keep track of your sodium intake. Here is Canada they recommend that healthy adult women consume no more than 1500 mg of sodium per day.

Thank you! I looked into it and sodium tends to be pretty high for me. Thank you.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and 143 lbs, and I have a 26 inch waist, 39 inch hips, and 23 inch thighs. We're all build differently. :) With that said, wanna trade me your 18 inch thighs for my 26 inch waist??
  • YouLittleJerk
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and 143 lbs, and I have a 26 inch waist, 39 inch hips, and 23 inch thighs. We're all build differently. :) With that said, wanna trade me your 18 inch thighs for my 26 inch waist??

I am actually decently happy with my build ha just not happy about all the weight I had gained but that is life. If I can get to where I was 4 yrs ago (size 7/8 jean) I will be happyyyyyy as a clam....and YES PLEASE, that sounds like a great trade :) I accredit my thighs and legs to spin class. As soon as I started doing an hour of spin once a week, inches began to drop off everywhere on my legs :)