Drugs and Exercise

Options
I have been taking several meds for years, including BP meds and pain meds every day.
Do these drugs affect one's metabolism when used during exercise.
I take pain meds generally before working out, because it boosts my energy 100 percent, but does it slow down the metabolic process?
Any experts?

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I have been taking several meds for years, including BP meds and pain meds every day.
    Do these drugs affect one's metabolism when used during exercise.
    I take pain meds generally before working out, because it boosts my energy 100 percent, but does it slow down the metabolic process?
    Any experts?

What kind of pain meds? I have LorTab for my back when it gets bad but I don't dare take that before going to workout.
  • orangebuttercat
    orangebuttercat Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    its norco which = lortab.

It has the opposite intended effect on me.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about something like Percocet, I can see that it would have that effect before a workout. I took it 6 months ago following surgery, and it is truly a happy pill. It's aptly named as it certainly "percs" you up!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Forgive me for answering a question you didn't ask, but I think taking a strong pain killer like hydrocodone before exercise is not advisable. Especially if you are finding it allows you to push yourself harder than you normally could. You are increasing your chances of injury, and of compounding the injury if the lortab masks the pain.
  • orangebuttercat
    Options
    its a hydrocodone derivitive so yes.its happy. .But it slows your heart rate, which if it does so, does it lessen a workout?
  • JNick77
    Options
    Interesting. I don't know why you take it but without knowing the reason I would say that it would diminish your neural response when trying to exercise. With the way I lift I would kill myself for sure if I tried that. LOL
  • orangebuttercat
    Options
    I had a stroke, so I will have a searing pain in my stroke arm forever, it won't get better.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I had a stroke, so I will have a searing pain in my stroke arm forever, it won't get better.

Oh, gotcha. Nerve damage is probably the worst pain I've ever felt. I'm not sure what to tell you on that one, just be careful I guess.
  • orangebuttercat
    Options
    Forgive me for answering a question you didn't ask, but I think taking a strong pain killer like hydrocodone before exercise is not advisable. Especially if you are finding it allows you to push yourself harder than you normally could. You are increasing your chances of injury, and of compounding the injury if the lortab masks the pain.

That has been a concern, as a result I focus on cardio rather than something that could be injured severely. While on an elliptical, i basically need it because small jerking movements are like lightning going through my arm. This lessens that pain.
    But your point is very valid, and will take it under advisement.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Any experts?

No.

Go see your doctor. Seriously. Asking this on an internet forum is ridiculous.
  • orangebuttercat
    Options
    I will obviously discuss it with my doctor.
    I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this.
  • tiger4nikki
    tiger4nikki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200mgs of Tegretol per day for Trigeminal Neuralgia. I HAVE to take it or I would have severe electrical and stabbing pains in my jaw (enough to drop me to my knees). I am pretty sure it slows down my metabolism. And mine is already jacked up from being hypothyroid. I am extremely tired a lot and really forgetful at times. That's why I gained the weight. I got sick of looking at myself and decided to MAKE myself eat better and exercise. So far I am doing fine and losing weight even though it's not as fast as I'd like it. Only 10 lbs since May 20th, but I weigh again Friday, and I think I've lost more. It feels that way anyway. Good luck! :smile:
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    all I know is its very hard to lose weight when on bp medication.

as far as the pain med, it certainly gives you false sense of strength, imo.
    its an odd combination that your "up" from the pain med and "down" from the bp med, meaning your taking it to manage your body from over exerting itself so you don't blow a gasket in your body.
  • nettasue35
    nettasue35 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    some bp meds can lower your heart rate.
  • phonepest
    phonepest Posts: 43
    Options
    I have no advice, but did want to tell you I admire you for even trying to exercise with what you're dealing with! Also, as you lose weight, you may need less and less of the BP meds!