Egg Freshness Test

Options
ChristieisReady
ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
I thought this was common knowledge, but everyone I've shared this with so far has never heard of it, so for the uninitiated-- the Egg Freshness Test.

Since expiration dates can be kind of off at the best of times, here is a test to see how fresh your eggs are.

Fill a pot with cool water (about 6-8 inches). Place your eggs (gently) in the water.

--If the egg sinks to the bottom and lies on its side-- It's VERY fresh. If a recipe calls for a raw egg white, this is the egg to use.

--If it sinks to the bottom but stands on end-- it's fresh. Eat it!

--If it bounces up and down from top to bottom-- it's iffy. This is it's last day as a usable egg. Fine to use in baked goods.

--If it floats to the top with it's point up-- this is not a good egg, throw it out.

--If it floats to the top with it's side up-- this would smell AWFUL if you cracked it open. Throw it away outside.

Hope this helps!!!

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    I didn't know most of that either, so thanks for sharing!
    I just know they should be on the bottom of the pan and not floating if you go to hard boil them.
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    I have heard of this test.

*old wives tale warning coming up*
    BUT BUT the warning is that you should be careful when you submerge eggs in water, if you do, you shouldn't store them very long afterwards / if at all. Eggs are porous and if you block the pores, they don't breathe and well, they go rotten ><
    *is going to go google that now haha. just to see if it's true!*
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Once you take them out of the water, the pores are not clogged anymore. If they have pores. What'd you find out?
  • Addikit
    Options
    That's really cool and super convenient, just today I asked my roommate if the eggs were still good and he said he had no idea (: lol