Best hiking dogs.

Options
princesspea234
princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
We have a small pack of rescued babies at our house. Prissy Posh broke her leg when she was two and we had to put a pin in it....Plus she's a pomeranian and not very athletic. Ellie, a Jack Russel/Pointer mix, is 12 now. She used to be able to catch a frisbee in her mouth and go on runs... now she prefers to snuggle.

I'm looking for a dog that would love to go on weekly hikes and light jogs...but one that likes to be indoors cuddling as well. The breed must get along with children and cats. We have a 13-year-old short haired kitty that is the queen of the house.

I think some new, young energy may revitalize our older babies too!

Suggestions?

Replies

• KidTarget
    KidTarget Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I really do not think breed matters so much. A tired pup is a happy pup. We took our Dober-mix hiking with us until she was claimed by cancer, and out Boxer mix loves the trails also. While hiking I have seen all sorts of dogs out there.
  • pennelope515
    pennelope515 Posts: 369
    Options
    Jack Russell, Pug, Beagle, Rat Terrier.

Pretty much any breed without exercise restrictions.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Not really any breed restrictions, my pit is very happy to lounge all day and cuddle, kisd and nap with the kids, hang out with the cats, horses, chickens, ect as well as go on a hike and tear up the hills. My lab/corgi/queensland cross is the same way, except shes better with kittens. My pit is so scared of kittens he will run away and hide! Lol Fine with cats though. Dumb dog lol.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    My German shepherds can do anything , they super dogs :glasses:
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    All dogs needs good exercise to be well rounded, calm pack members. Just take into account the terrain, heat, size of dog and capabilities and all should be well.........We have a 85lb American Bulldog, and a 15lb Boston Terrier & both love to hike! Though are last hike, 5 miles or so, was just a tad much for the little one. She was a trooper, but she gave up the last 100 yards to the car and the hubby had to carry her. Also don't forget to bring water for your dog too! A lot of people carry water for themselves, but forget about the dogs.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I've taken my pitty for runs, hikes, cycle rides, swims, skateboard, etc...she is 8.5 years old and almost everybody mistakes her for a tenn puppy because she is in great shape. Generally perfect for a active lifestyle.

Also I've yet to meet one that isn't a cuddler if you allow it.

• BraydanTaffy
    BraydanTaffy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    All of my siblings have different dogs, who are good hiking/walking/running dogs, from chihuahuas (yep, they love to run on-leash) to Boston terriers to big dogs like German Shepherds, chows, huskies & AU Shepherds.

The key to me seems to be that all were trained. And, I suppose personalities differ for different dogs, too, not necessarily breed... at least that's been my family's experiences.

In particular, those young & nutty huskies were out of bleedin' control until my sister finally tripped over them rough housing in the house (75 & 90-lbs slamming into you at 5am when you're a 5' girl, ambling around with 1 eye open, pre-coffee isn't fun) & went to PetCo (or a similar local store) for free lessons. She couldn't even properly walk them on a leash (not even 1 at a time) until then... they just ran in her small yard, but it wasn't enough exercise for such large dogs.

Some of the larger working dogs, in particular siblings with German & AU Shepherds, use vests with water bottles as weights so the dogs get a better workout & expend more energy... they all sleep like babies after vests are used.

Now all is well in every Taffy household, with all dogs, big & small.

Good luck.