Absolutely Starving

Options

Replies

• lacyjay87
    lacyjay87 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    IM STARVING TOO!! I accidently went over my goal today!! This was my first day!!! I just want to eat FOOD.
  • DaybirdE
    DaybirdE Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I should add, you typically subtract 500-1000 calories from what your BMR calculation gives you, to lose 1-2lbs per week (but never go below 1200)
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Life is too short to be hungry!

I don't know your stats, and I don't know if you really need to be eating 1200 calories, but assuming you do...

Move more! I'm a tiny person, and the reality is I need less food than my giant husband - but I like food just as much! What to do? Move more. Burn more calories through exercise so you can eat more.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is too low for most people, might as well start off with more calories and adjust from there if necessary.
  • OtakuMusician
    OtakuMusician Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm going to lower my total daily calorie intake as I go along; MFP suggested that I start with 1550 and under, and it works fine for me. As I continue my diet and exercise routine I'll lower it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    With only 16 lbs to lose, you hopefully picked the recommended weight loss amount - 1 lb weekly.

And at 10 lbs, that should be backed off to 1/2 lb.

The fear here is you'll lose the hunger as your hormones get screwed up - you'll wonder how in the world you could ever eat as much as 1200 now - and you'll burn off enough muscle mass and lower your metabolism that you'll barely if ever screech in to goal weight, still eating 1200, as the losses slow down and stop.
    So now you can't start eating more.

Confirm to you eat back exercise calories, that offsets the bare minimum for sedentary person you got.

Also be honest you are really sedentary, 60 hr desk job with little walking, long commute, butt in chair in evenings and weekends outside of exercise.
  • Lisamom11
    Lisamom11 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been doing the 1200 calories for a couple of years. You just need to find low calorie foods and you can be full all the time. Also, I've found it's better to eat whenever I'm hungry. If I wait till I'm starving, it's much harder to make the good food choices. Eat lots of lean proteins like baked skinless chicken and fish (watch the portion sizes). Fill up on veggies and fruits. Be careful with breads and other refined carbs - lots of calories in that. Also, keep in mind that you should be eating your exercise calories. The more you work out, the more you get to eat. :) It really works if you can stick to it. Good luck!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    1. Agree with a lot of people on here that 1200 is a rock-bottom minimum and really only appropriate for short-term emergency weight loss. According to your ticker, your weight loss goals are quite moderate. At 1200 you're not building sustainable long-term habits, you're going hungry, plain and simple. Getting healthy is a marathon, not a sprint. Slow down, and build better everyday long-term eating habits along the way.

2. I'm not a big one for magical hand-waving about macros for weight loss, BUT here's the caveat. It's true that carb calories -- especially sugary ones -- are less satisfying than an equal amount of fat and protein calories. If you want to feel less hungry, you might want to try upping your fat and protein intake some. It will make you feel more full, and when you eat the full feeling will just last longer. Spend fewer hours of the day hungry. I'm a fan of light string cheese (only 50 calories a piece!) for a quick fix.

3. I see that you are eating at least a moderate amount of protein, which is good, and you're not afraid of cheese (high five, sister!) Consider shifting some of that protein to earlier in the day. It doesn't affect weight loss in any magical way, but again eating protein provides long-lasting satisfaction, and it's can help keep your mind clear of cravings early in the day. I'm a fan of a small smear of peanut butter on whole wheat toast, myself. An egg a few times a week. That kind of thing.

4. It's hard to be sure because you've haven't set fiber as one of your 5 nutrients to track, but I'd say more fiber is probably in order. Fiber also makes you digest food more slowly, fill up more completely on fewer calories, and level out your blood sugar (which also affects satiety). You should be getting *at least* 7 grams of fiber with each meal, 8 or 9 would be better. (If your daily fiber amount is currently less than 15 g per day, work up to it gradually to minimize, ahem, gastric distress). Whenever you're eating carbs -- grains, or fruit / veg carbs, doesn't matter -- you need to be getting significant fiber to feel full. And spread that fiber out over the course of the day; again, it will help you feel more full, and minimize gassy consequences.

5. Especially when you are on a low-calorie diet, be skeptical of protein bars and "health food bars" and "fiber bars" and the like, because they can be pretty high in calories per mouthful (at best they're often designed as a quick protein and sugar boost for people who exercise A LOT; at worst they are extremely sugary candy bars in disguise -- more calories than chocolate bars, many of them), so you're eating through your calorie budget pretty fast. Most people's brains need to spend time chewing food for satiety to register, so if your whole meal is done in 4 or 5 mouthfuls, it's hard not to just feel DISAPPOINTED when you've licked the last crumbs off your fingers and wonder how you can be done already.

6. Psych Ops. If necessary, play head games with yourself to eat more slowly, because it does take time for your brain to register that you've eaten. The first week I went on a diet, I only ate with the smallest spoons and forks in the house for instance, just to kind of "reboot" how I looked at and inhaled a small plate of food. If you eat a lot of wet, sticky food (e.g. that cheesy pasta), eat off the end of a plastic knife or a popsicle stick instead of using a fork or spoon, just for a week or so. If you eat a lot of finger food, or if you snack on dry cereal, try using chopsticks. I KNOW IT SOUNDS LIKE MADNESS but I'm not kidding, that really helps. :-)

7. Lay in snacks that cost less than 100 calories each for emergencies. The idea is that keeping your hunger monster pacified sometimes means letting it know that you respect it. It should be food you like, and when you eat the snacks of course you should log them. I've already mentioned string cheese -- cheese is my personal kryptonite. I also actually kind of love raw bell peppers. Many people eat a few almonds -- it is kind of amazing how just a couple of almonds make you feel unhungry very quickly. If sweets are your jam, fruit is best, but if you have decent willpower and can afford to keep candy in the house without being afraid you'll eat it all, individually wrapped small candies in a dish can be a very helpful morale booster. Something where eating JUST ONE won't hurt, and will calm the beast. I keep a dish of Dove chocolate "Promises" around, they're 42 calories each. I rarely eat them (like maybe 2X a week unless I have an unexpected windfall in my calorie budget), but it's weirdly comforting just to see them there on the counter.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is too low for any grown person unless you're petite, like 4'9'' and 100 lbs. female. There' re are a few of these sprinkled around the world.

The body is dynamic. It will always respond to environmental stimuli. So this means that for every set of eyes that sees your post, they think they know what works for weight loss or just cop out with "every body's different." The problem is that there we all have the same biological pathways for energy. We're not really that different. It's just that in order to lose weight, one doesn't have to do much research. So now you have anecdotal advice.

You should slowly add calories in. About 100 a week, and lay off the mindless cardio crap people are suggesting and stick with high intensity work or weight lifting. typical cardio sucks And at 1200 calories a day, whether its gross or net, you're slowing your metabolism down i can guarantee that unless you're a freak. And to think that is just speculation/gambling and it's a bad bet with high risk.
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You're probably hungry because you're not eating enough. 1200 is the minimum number MFP gives anyone based on how you input your goals. In reality, most people need to be eating more than that. If you give us your height, weight, age, and goal weight, we can help you figure out how much to eat. Or you can go here to calculate your calorie needs: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Hey there, I just went to that site. It measures activity a bit different than MFP. I'm a teacher, so I'm on my feet a good part of the day. On here, I have my activity set at "Lightly Active" and I set a goal of exercising 3 times a week for 30 minutes. On that website, I put "1-3 hours of light exercise" with the 20% calorie reduction option. MFP says my "calories normal daily activity" is 1980 so a goal is set for 1480 for the 500 calorie deficit. The other website lists my BMR at 1502, my TDEE at 2,065, and my daily calories (based on the 20% reduction) set at 1652.

SOOOOO, should I up my calories from 1480 to 1650? I just started with a trainer and I work out at least 2 days a week for 45 minutes each time. I'm working on getting in the routine of adding a 3rd day at home. I eat my exercise calories (like I should) for a net total goal of 1480 (right now). I just don't know which number I should be going with after checking out this website!
  • Sh5073a
    Sh5073a Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You'll find that people have different views on how many calories to eat here. I can only add that I was definitely NOT satisfied with 1200 and felt supper hungry in the beginning; so I started reading some of the nutrition threads and found info on metabolic rate and why the body needs energy to consume when you're exercising and trying to lose weight. I think several people have already copied some of the threads here so hopefully you've taken a look at those.

If you're just starting you may want to up your calories a little more. It does help to eat more protein and drink water, but the point is not to starve your body. Some of the things that helped me too was having ready snacks to have between meals that were filling. Good luck!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You're probably hungry because you're not eating enough. 1200 is the minimum number MFP gives anyone based on how you input your goals. In reality, most people need to be eating more than that. If you give us your height, weight, age, and goal weight, we can help you figure out how much to eat. Or you can go here to calculate your calorie needs: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Hey there, I just went to that site. It measures activity a bit different than MFP. I'm a teacher, so I'm on my feet a good part of the day. On here, I have my activity set at "Lightly Active" and I set a goal of exercising 3 times a week for 30 minutes. On that website, I put "1-3 hours of light exercise" with the 20% calorie reduction option. MFP says my "calories normal daily activity" is 1980 so a goal is set for 1480 for the 500 calorie deficit. The other website lists my BMR at 1502, my TDEE at 2,065, and my daily calories (based on the 20% reduction) set at 1652.

SOOOOO, should I up my calories from 1480 to 1650? I just started with a trainer and I work out at least 2 days a week for 45 minutes each time. I'm working on getting in the routine of adding a 3rd day at home. I eat my exercise calories (like I should) for a net total goal of 1480 (right now). I just don't know which number I should be going with after checking out this website!

Despite MFP asking for your exercise goals - they have no bearing with your diet goals at all. Diet goals are on the Food diary tab, exercise goals on the Exercise tab.

No exercise is assumed or accounted for on MFP until you do it and log it. That's what the 1980 is. Non-exercise maintenance.

So on non-exercise days you eat 1480. That has 500 cal deficit.
    On exercise days you burn and log say 300 calories. Your real maintenance that day is now 1980 + 300 = 2280
    Same 500 cal deficit means your eating goal that day is 1780.
    Hence the reason MFP gives credit for actual exercise done.

That TDEE deficit method already includes your exercise, so you would eat 1650 daily, exercise or not. As long is you did what was planned by your choice of Lightly Active.

1480 x 4 days + 1780 x 3 days = 11260 total.
    1650 x 7 days = 11550 total.

Works out about the same. Unless you start missing workouts and eat the same 1650 daily.

So depends on what is more encouraging to you - reward for exercise by eating more, and you can plan it and do it? Or a set goal of so much exercise and you strive to meet it?

If you want to use the rough estimate of 5 activity levels with the TDEE deficit method, might try this with your time - because 1 hr of walking is not the same as 1 hr of running.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018770-better-rough-tdee-estimate-than-5-level-chart
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options

Despite MFP asking for your exercise goals - they have no bearing with your diet goals at all. Diet goals are on the Food diary tab, exercise goals on the Exercise tab.

No exercise is assumed or accounted for on MFP until you do it and log it. That's what the 1980 is. Non-exercise maintenance.

So on non-exercise days you eat 1480. That has 500 cal deficit.
    On exercise days you burn and log say 300 calories. Your real maintenance that day is now 1980 + 300 = 2280
    Same 500 cal deficit means your eating goal that day is 1780.
    Hence the reason MFP gives credit for actual exercise done.

That TDEE deficit method already includes your exercise, so you would eat 1650 daily, exercise or not. As long is you did what was planned by your choice of Lightly Active.

1480 x 4 days + 1780 x 3 days = 11260 total.
    1650 x 7 days = 11550 total.

Works out about the same. Unless you start missing workouts and eat the same 1650 daily.

So depends on what is more encouraging to you - reward for exercise by eating more, and you can plan it and do it? Or a set goal of so much exercise and you strive to meet it?

If you want to use the rough estimate of 5 activity levels with the TDEE deficit method, might try this with your time - because 1 hr of walking is not the same as 1 hr of running.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018770-better-rough-tdee-estimate-than-5-level-chart

Thank you for the reply. I did understand the net calorie concept, but I appreciate you explaining it concisely. What about using the TDEE number and subtracting 500 for the 1 lb weekly loss goal? Or does that not make any sense? 1480 vs 1565 vs 1650.

Oh, and FWIW I have a heart rate monitor and my 45 minute training sessions have me burning 500-600 calories each session.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    My dinner was less than 300 calories and tasty as hell. Veges and chicken stirfried with lime and chilli.

1200 is less than I eat, but it's doable. As several people have said you need to focus on bulk for calories. If you're eating that little, you have to eat to feel full
  • slyall08
    slyall08 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your awesome advice I am going to make every attempt to eat smarter today!
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    On two previous occasions, I lost a lot of weight by sticking to 1200 net calories a day. I was hungry and cold all the time and by the time I reached goal I was permanently, stomach-painingly ravenous. I ended up yo-yoing both times.

This time round I took a different approach. I looked up what the net maintenance calorie requirement would be for a person of my goal weight. And for the past few months I've been aiming for an energy balance at that level. I regard it as an exercise in getting my body accustomed to eating the right amount for the person I want to be permanently. It has worked very well.

I usually have a hot chocolate before bed, by the way, because I sleep much better if I'm not hungry when I go to bed.

Oh yes, and any exercise other than walking makes me ravenous, too. I tend to eat back far more calories than I expend. After some research I gather that some people are like that - we're 'exercise over-compensators'.

But basically I'd say yes, eat more. It makes the whole process much more feasible and bearable.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I started with a 1200 calorie base and found it pretty difficult. I followed the TDEE method posted here on the forums and upped it to 1300 (I'm a desk jockey, so my life is pretty sedentary). It's amazing what even 100 calories can do.

When I work out I eat somewhere around 1600-1700 calories. I have to agree with the others here who said that the low calorie count is a great kick in the butt to work out.

Some of the things that work for me so I don't feel hungry are eating healthy foods throughout the day, drinking water, walking around the office when I feel snacky, eating lots of protein and leafy greens. My staples are hard boiled eggs, spinach, broccoli, avocado, roast chicken, any kind of fish, greek yogurt and apples.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    not really--you will just have to adjust. A cup of hot bouillion gets me thru the rough spots. ALso Walmart carrys in their deli dept JOSEPS flax and oat bran wraps that are wonderful. ONE sheet is 100 cals, and a serving size is halt that. It is my bread replacement now. I also keep some small squares for a snack with some hot tea, AND the best part--cut them into bite size squares, spray with some olive oil and celery salt and toast in the oven on both sides. For100 cals you have a great crunchy snack for home OR the movie
  • lovenaire
    lovenaire Posts: 10
    Options
    Im on 1580 calories, but I am 244 pounds right now. I find that eating smaller meals throughout the day about 6 times a day, helps. It feels like I am always eating, and therefore satisfying some of the urges. I actually eat about 1800-2000 calories, but take my twin 2 year olds on a walk every night after work in their stroller. We walk as fast or slow as we want. its not really like excercise because I am with them, and spending time with them. If our dog was not so old, I would take her out also.

Everyone is giving good advice. You have to move your body. If you are only focusing on food intake, you will be hungry, and will indulge too many times and will fail. I know, I have done that too...

You have to move your body. Besides, its not the weight that is your real goal. It is to feel better, look better, and live better. You will only feel better and look better if you move your body - and moving your body will help you live better.

Find something you enjoy, and go do it. If the only thing you like is shopping, then go to the nearest mall, and walk briskly through the entire place... Up and down every isle, every store, around the building. Whatever, it does not matter, just move that body. Skip escalators and elevators. use the stairs. If you are using an elevator for 1 or two floors, shame on you! (i slapped my own hand too, its ok)

Just keep moving just keep moving moving moving moving.. Damn Nemo.... Gotta love having little kids LOL.

And surprising to myself... Using MFP all day really keeps everything in focus. I have it on my phone too. I scan barcodes before I eat. I add my weight every morning. I even installed a free app called runtastic and it tracks my walks and calories and automatically updates MFP. I see everything in realtime. I know when I have to walk a little more, eat something different etc.

And if you are still having a bad day here and there, its OK. Its not what you will have to live with all the time, it is just a bad moment. Stand up, move that body, and talk to someone. You will rock it!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Going by the TDEE, I should be eating 1580, that seems excessive!

It's not. I eat 1760, and I'm not tall and not too far from my goal weight. Most people can eat way more than they think and still lose weight!