If you hit or dinged someone's car...

Options
njmp
njmp Posts: 277 Member
Would you leave a note/wait for the person?

I found a huge dent in my car door yesterday...someone really would have had to nail it. Anyone this has happened to knows how frustrating this is!!! I have dinged someone's car before with a bump of a shopping cart, and I left a note. So where's my car karma???
Grrr...

Replies

• bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I would have waited or left a note. Had people hit my car before and just leave, annoying as hell!
  • SaltWaterTaffy78
    SaltWaterTaffy78 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It's no fun! Happened to me as well but they were nice enough to leave a note. Hope the fixing is not too costly. :ohwell:
  • ruth3698
    ruth3698 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I would leave a note.I will never wait again...some guy in our area accidently dinged someone's car and was killed over it.You never know what kind of psychos are out there.
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I would have left a note. Someone side swiped the drivers side of my car with such skill they tore off the front door handle but missed the side mirror.. What skill!!
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I would have left a note. Someone side swiped the drivers side of my car with such skill they tore off the front door handle but missed the side mirror.. What skill!!
    wow that is talent...and douchey...
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I would leave a note.I will never wait again...some guy in our area accidently dinged someone's car and was killed over it.You never know what kind of psychos are out there.

Wow, that's terrible!
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options

wow..that's crazy! But good to know for the future...!!
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I don't understand people who do that; it makes me totally question their character. Someone left white paint all over my husband's bumper the other week while he was at work. It's disheartening!
  • danapenguin
    danapenguin Posts: 161
    Options
    i hit someone's car at work once and freaked out and went to lunch and didn't tell them until I got back. But she was really cool about it and we settled on just buying paint for the marks and she had her husband pull out the dent. No biggy =)
    I have had people bump my car before and not leave notes and it really does tick me off!! Honesty is the best policy!
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    This happened to my brand new car in my work parking lot more than once, no one left a note or waited. I wouldn't be able to wait either if I did that while en route to work. I would just jot down their plate number in my cell phone ( I would not have anything on me to leave a note with either) then I would have to run into work to not be late, but would most likely I would leave a message at the building security office.

If in a public place, like a huge shopping mall, you could be waiting hours for someone to shop, eat, see a movie, so no I wouldn't be waiting around, again maybe let mall security know and give them your info incase someone inquired or went to report it.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I would write this note-

"Hello, I just hit your car. I'm sorry. There are quite a few people watching me write this note. They assume that I am leaving you my contact information. They are wrong."

Just kidding :laugh: Sorry for what happened to you.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I was with my Mom when a lady put the first ding in her new car (one year old car). She was putting her kids in the back seat of this SUV with the door having swung into Mom's car , which is a rather tiny car, anyway, she's all oh, well, I have kids... as if that means she can't be careful with her car! It was a small ding, but sooo not the point!
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Definitely had that happen with my car! I attended college, so NO ONE knows how to drive there, I'm convinced. I get out of class with my TWO WEEK OLD CAR and there are white skuff marks ALL over the driver side back door. I was FURIOUS. Luckily, they rubbed right off, but still! Then, not 6 months after I owned the car, my step-mom accidentally backed up into me. I was asleep and she backed into my car across the street from the driveway. A new door had to be ordered for it to be functional.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    There are cameras everywhere these days and you'd be foolish not to leave a note. I'd leave one anyway.

My car was parked on the street back in the 80's and I came out to find a huge dent in the front quarter panel. Not fun.

Recently, a young person bumped me from behind right after I got my bumper replaced from a similar incident not even a year ago. There was a tiny indentation on the top and I took his info but ultimately let it go.

Sometimes it's just not worth all the trouble that comes with repairing something so small.
  • F1TCH1K
    F1TCH1K Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Grrrr, I have had this happen several times. I know it's the life of a car and comes w/the territory of parking in public places, and if it's not a huge dent (severe damage, not dings) then insurance won't do anything anyway - it's "road hazards, etc".

I know it would be polite to leave a note but I don't think I would be leaving my name, number or address for some person to contact me over a door ding - it happens.

P.S: you are overly cautious and need to park in two spaces diagionally to "protect" your car then mark sure you do it at the back of the parking lot :)
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I was backing out once and scraped someone's bumper. His bumper was already scratched and peeling in most places, but I had to report it because it was my first time and someone saw me, lol.

The dude told me it wasn't a big deal. I had full coverage anyway.

Of course, later I came to find that my full coverage lapsed WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE after I paid them due to the company not recieving proof of prior insurance (it was my Dad's car anyway). After I told the guy I DIDN'T have insurance, he went balls to the wall and replaced his bumper. That got $856 out of me.

There's a special place in hell for people like him. I mean, it was my fault, sure. But for a little scuff on an already heavily scuffed bumper? Come on.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Another time, we witnessed a van back into a car at a restaurant. It left a sizeable dent in one of the back passenger door (enough to make it no longer functional). They tried to drive away, but my husband and I chased him until we got the plate number.

We went into the restaurant to find the owners. It was a small family. They were so grateful that the dad slipped my husband a $20. lol
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, I haven't hit/dinged anyone in a long time but whenever I've tried to find them and talk to them or left a note. Last time (about 3 years ago), a gust of wind caught my door and left a mark on the obviously well used car next to me. I found the girl in the beauty salon across the parking lot and offered to have it repaired, she declined but I left my card anyway in case she changed her mind. :-)
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I would be waiting, ready with insurance or my information. I would make sure that they were reimbursed.

People who damage the cars of others and run are as bad as drug dealers and should be shot!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGRUnPGb69psk8TmNXMnkIXdDn9Obbvyx2ctjWw7_rP3v0Vf9nAw
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I bought my new Taurus a couple of months ago. The very next day after I bought it I went to the local grocery store and parked out in the middle of no where. I came out and my door had a dent it in...and the car was still parked right next to me. Couldn't believe it. I couldn't "prove" they did it, but I left them a "nice" note on their windshield and fortunately my insurance is covering to have it fixed.