New to the site and embarrassed to even try

Options

Replies

• zoober
    zoober Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    First, nobody is looking at you. Everybody is worried about people looking at them. Remember this.

Second, who cares what you look like when you work out? The people who matter don't care. The people who care don't matter.

And for goodness sake, keep it up. In 6 months, you won't even remember this stretch. :glasses:
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Oh hon. Please don't think anyone is looking at you and judging. If anything they are looking at you and saying "Atta girl!".

Go to the gym for YOU. No one else. Who cares if you sweat.....its the one place you're allowed to! My gosh...I get on some machines next to guys who I swear never heard of antiperspirant LOL I just nonchalantly move to another machine away from them if it bothers me..but I know he is getting a good workout!!!

Everyone had to start somewhere. No one here ever went into the gym already fit and toned. We were all the newbies at one point.

The people at my gym are all friendly. I don't even look at anyone when I work out..I watch TV or just focus on what I am doing. When someone talks to me I have to ask them to repeat because I'm so zoned out.

One day at a time....thats all it takes. You can DO THIS! You're the only one holding yourself back!!!
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Sweating just means you are working really hard. When I was in 7th grade, I was the sweatiest girl on my volleyball team. All of the other girls who were good at volleyball were running around doing their thing and looking pretty and I was always jealous because I wasn't very good and was overweight and sweaty. Until one day my coach yelled at everybody for goofing off, and to this day I remember her pointing at me and saying - "Look at this girl! She's not the best player on the team, but its clear to me that she is trying her hardest, and the rest of you aren't."

This was embarrassing to be called out, but it taught me a good lesson - it's important to get out there and try your hardest, and even if you aren't as good as everyone else that is ok. I think that moment made me a better person.

I applaud you and everyone (and me!) who is getting out there and doing their thing and taking on challenges and working their *kitten* off - literally!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    When I work out I look like I am about to die. My face is red, I am sweaty, I probably smell like a moose but honestly its a good feeling.

Start slow - go for a walk in your neighborhood, I walk through the park in my neighborhood with my dog, its a big park and then to double back home its about 1.9km. If you can swim, do swimming - you wont even know you are really sweating and trust me no one is looking at you if you are in a lane swim. I am over 200 pounds and lane swim in the morning with the older folks and they are wonderful people.

Really though find something you like, even if its just modifying things like yoga (I modify some poses because I can't do them ) home work out DVDS work too - then you only sweat in the privacy of your own home.

I know its scary but I promise you that eventually the fear goes away, put some head phones on ignore the room and go to your happy place.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    SWEAT... feels icky, but it is great! Your body, when burning FAT, converts it to water and energy. So sweat is literally your fat cells shrinking! Try to find something you can feel comfortable with; maybe a Wii workout at home?

And I will also say from experience-- if people in the gym are looking at you, it's admiration that you are there and working it. It does take a lot of guts (no pun intended) to get out there and sweat! I know it's silly but I feel proud of the very large people who are working out, because they are trying to improve themselves.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Swimming or you can also buy a weighted water belt that you can use in a pool to walk in the water. It helps you keep upright while you walk along the pool floor or 'walk' without touching the bottom. You can also tether yourself to the side of a pool with the weighted belt on and 'walk' in place. It's about moving - If you are too embarrassed to do it in public - do it at home - walk in place in your living room. Do NOT give up is the key! Think about how good you will look when you've been doing it for a while. Just 3 months ago I was wearing size 16 pants and I couldn't fathom wearing the clothes that were in my goal bucket! But this week I have more than half of those clothes back in my closet and I am wearing them (size 12) everyday!
    Good luck!
  • Lulufifi1994
    Lulufifi1994 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I havn't read all of the previous posts so I'm sure I'm just repeating what everyone else has said. But I'm going to say it anyway.

Feel free to start at home if you like, though classes are really good to make sure you have proper technique, or a personal trainer if you can afford one. However - if you do go to the gym most people will just not take any notice of you other than to register that you're using x bit of equipment so they'll use y bit of equipment until you're done. If anyone does look at you I can guarentee they'll be thinking "Yes she's big but she is completely kick *kitten* for coming here and trying to lose weight and improve her fitness." What inspired me to join my gym and get my a**e in gear was seeing people bigger than me jogging or going into the gym.

Don't feel embarrased, feel amazing. :D Sweat is a badge of honour for me. :)
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    One thing I've noticed as I've continued along my journey: when I'm amongst a large group of others who are also working out, no one really is looking at anyone else.

I've recently started the Zombies, Run 5K training. I do most of my training at the Rose Bowl (there's a 5K track that surrounds the Rose Bowl and neighboring properties). When I first went there, I was a bit intimidated because I knew it was a popular workout spot in the area and I was sure people were going to look at me.

I was right about the first part: it is a popular workout area for runners. walkers and bicyclists. But, aside from an occasional smile of acknowledgement, no one really paid much attention to me (except to make sure we didn't get in each other's way). Because we're all there for one thing: to get our active on.

The other great thing is that there is such a wide variety of people there, of all sizes and fitness levels. I realized that my concerns were not founded. Now I love to go there.

Start out by working out in your home, if that's where you feel most comfortable. But realize that, once you decide to get out there in public, you'll be just fine.

ETA: I'm no beauty when I work out. Sweaty, frizzy haired, flushed cheeks - I won't be winning any beauty pageants. But you better believe that all of those women who you think are ridiculously pretty when they work out hard also think they look horrendous. We are always our worst critics.
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Don't feel embarrassed. Everyone has to start somewhere and for us mere mortals it is always at the bottom of the ladder. Just keep thinking to yourself that you're doing 100 times better than staying home and sitting on the couch. If you keep at it, eat right and exercise correctly, you'll start seeing a difference very soon. I felt much the same way that you do, but I've come so far since then and I proud of myself for trying. To this day, I still leave the gym looking like I've just walked out of a swimming pool. It's an honor to look that way. And when you're walking out, all sweaty and well worked out, take a quick look around. Everyone else is sweaty too and they didn't get to look they way they do now, by not being sweaty or staying home. Don't worry about everyone else, just try to concentrate on yourself. I don't study people in my gym, so chances are they aren't studying you.

Head down, concentrate, and keep going at it for a better you. Don't let anyone stop you!
  • about_time_4_change
    about_time_4_change Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been in the same boat as you, but I reached a point where I realized people aren't judging me like I think they are. As of last week, I get out and run every single day now with my dog. At first I felt self concious that people would laugh at me, but now I just don't care. Not one person has commented, laughed, or done anything of the sort to my face and I have actually had some people smile and say hi as they are also running or walking. I look at it as being a good healthy role model to my children and the feeling afterwards is amazing.
    I walk a lot, dance with my kids, do yard work, clean. It doesn't matter what you do, dear. Just move your body and it will add up. At home dvd's are awesome and they may give you that bost of self confidence to be able to go to group classes. Just know you will not be judged like you think. In fact, you will see it is the total opposite. :)

Feel free to add me and by the way....YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

You are smart
    You are kind
    You are important
    You are beautiful
    You are loved :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Try being an adult figure skater, overweight, who sweats in the cold rink (I'm talking, steam rises from my wet hair)...I might be the only one who sweats in the rink. And little girls asking me why I'm so sweaty. Even other adults and coaches, complaining about how cold it is, then seeing me and saying, "wow, you sure are working hard, aren't ya?" Yea, that's fun. :grumble:

I get it, though. That self consciousness. I have no magic words. You've just got to not let it stand in the way of what you really want. It may not be believable, but it'll get easier. The longer you do it. Maybe not ever easy. But easiER.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    When I work out I look gross and sweaty and I am so afraid to have people stare at me. My tummy prevents me from yoga poses and other things I would like to do. The feel of my own body jumping around bothers me. My feet problems and Achilles tendinitis make even walking a challenge. It's discouraging.

Embrace it and get over it. You will never get all the way out of "I'm feeling bouncy" or "I just can't get my x out of the way enough to do y" but you will, over time, feel less bouncy and have less of x to get in the way of y. No one is staring at you and if they are they're either thinking "you go girl, with your bad self" or something the opposite of that which deserves a punch to the taint. Will people say things directly to you? Maybe, but that has nothing to do with you, that's just because some people are *kitten*, kharma will take care of them, you just take care of yourself.

As far as sweating . . . no matter what I do I sweat like a *kitten* in church, it's just the way I'm made. I wear a tennis sweat band on my head and carry a towel . . . the reason gyms hand those tiny towels to you when you walk in the door is because that's what you're supposed to do there, sweat and wipe.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Try being an adult figure skater, overweight, who sweats in the cold rink (I'm talking, steam rises from my wet hair)...I might be the only one who sweats in the rink. And little girls asking me why I'm so sweaty. Even other adults and coaches, complaining about how cold it is, then seeing me and saying, "wow, you sure are working hard, aren't ya?" Yea, that's fun. :grumble:

I get it, though. That self consciousness. I have no magic words. You've just got to not let it stand in the way of what you really want. It may not be believable, but it'll get easier. The longer you do it. Maybe not ever easy. But easiER.

I think sweat is hot . . . both literally and figuratively.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite quotes is "If you look pretty after working out, you aren't doing it right." I am a hot, sweaty mess when I finish working out. But that gives me a sense of accomplishment. I don't care if people stare at me, I am there for me and nobody else. Keep going and you will see the results.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    have you tried swimming or water aerobics? you don't look like you are sweating and the water doesn't let you feel the flab move too much..... I love it!!!
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    You need to get past that, if you don't you aren't going to be able to move forward. The only way you are going to succeed is to believe in yourself and if you keep going all of these things you say embarrass you will become non existent, if you don't keep going they are always going to be there and you will never change:) You have the ability to do this, believe in you, that you are worth the effort!!:happy:
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Just try to remember that if you are trying and sweating you are one step further towards your goal than the person just sitting on the couch! People will respect you more for making the effort.
    As far as not being able to walk due to pain...If you can afford to go to a running store and get fitted for shoes, that will help you tremendously. It is worth the investment in yourself.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I sweat a ton! I work out at a personal training studio with 6 extremely good looking fit trainers. I do jumping jacks and my shirt comes up and my boobs flop around, but they love their job and love that I'm willing to work hard to change my body. There is no shame in the awkwardness that is exercise. It is truly a badge of honor showing that you are willing to work to make yourself healthier. Do not let the possibility of looking a little silly get you down. I fall over and get stuck on equipment but god do I feel good knowing I put in the effort. Your self esteem will go way up once you start to feel the accomplishment that is taking control of your body!
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I felt this way for a lot of years. Now I'm mad at myself because I know that I really hindered keeping myself in shape. Don't worry about it--like others have said, if you're not sweating you're not getting a good workout! (Maybe except for really lucky people who don't sweat much naturally :))
  • jennifermlake
    jennifermlake Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's hard - it really is. But remember - everyone is on their own different fitness journey and we are all in different places along the path. But EVERYONE started at the same place - the beginning. At some point, every single person in that gym, on the track, in yoga, etc. was there for the first time. Trying something new or different is always hard - but we do it so we can grow and improve and be better.

The more you stick with it, the better it will get. And honestly, at some point, the journey itself (into fitness) starts changing my mind and your perspective. Even without weight loss, just getting moving will start to give you a better overall perception (and likely a more realistic view) of yourself. You absolutely can do this!

I would also recommend keeping a diary or a log of whatever it is you do. Swimming, walking, elliptical, etc. - Set realistic goals to start. Maybe it's just 5 minutes. But log the time and write down how you feel, what's in your mind. Do it every time and maybe every week or every two weeks or so add just one more minute what you are doing. After a month - 1) you will be going longer with your cardio and 2) looking back you'll see just how far you've come. It can be pretty powerful.

Best of luck to you!