If it contains water, it counts as water. (Except booze)

Options

Replies

• escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I don't agree but, to each his own! :drinker:

And I don't agree that the earth is round. That doesn't somehow make it not round though.

It's not round, it's an oblate spheroid...

the-more-you-know-o.gif
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    What is it that you people have against dead horses?

5 years of seeing the same post come up. You'll note I joined MFP around 3 years before you did. In that time I have seen this topic come up potentially hundreds of times. The goal is to create something that was worthy of becoming a sticky so hopefully we can have less clutter and repeated questions.

Ill adhere to the this new practice as soon as they revise the BMI index. (kinda like people that refused to marry until gay marriage is legal) I cant believe im still fracking OBESE! Thanks for sharing though.

You should take a look at the military calculation. For most branches if you are above the normal BMI range, they ignore it and use body fat percentage instead, below 20% for men under 30, below 24% for men over 30, 28% for women under 30, 32% for women over 30. Even when I was at my skinniest at 180, I was still listed as overweight.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Who cares?
  • GlassSlipperGurl
    GlassSlipperGurl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You had me up until milk and juice.

For me, if it has calories, it doesn't count as water. Water is water. Hot tea is water. Ice tea is water unless it is sweetened. Juice and milk don't count toward my water intake. Neither does soda ... but club soda or seltzer DOES count as water because that's what it is ... carbonated water.

IDK ... you just wrote a really long post and should it really be that complicated?
    Same here...this is how I count as well
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    And I don't agree that the earth is round. That doesn't somehow make it not round though.

Good one!! LOL!!
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If it is not water, record it in your food diary. If it is water, drink it when you're thirsty. Not sure why people get all worked up over this.
  • b7bbs
    b7bbs Posts: 158 Member
    Options

For me, if it has calories, it doesn't count as water. Water is water. Hot tea is water. Ice tea is water unless it is sweetened. Juice and milk don't count toward my water intake. Neither does soda ... but club soda or seltzer DOES count as water because that's what it is ... carbonated water.

IDK ... you just wrote a really long post and should it really be that complicated?

I agree with you. Milk and juice will not be counted as my water intake because they need to be added for to drinks in order for the calorie count to be counted towards our daily calorie budget.

Also, when I eat fruits and veggies, idk exactly how much water I'm getting. So of course fruit will be added to my diary, but I won't fidgit with upping the water when I may not be taking in as much as I think, or taking in more than I think.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

What anyone actually counts as their water is up to them. But with regard to what hydrates you, food and liquids do.

http://www.jacn.org/content/22/2/165.short - flavored plain water counts

"Inclusion of plain drinking water compared to exclusion of plain drinking water in the diet did not affect the markers of hydration used in this study."

http://www.jacn.org/content/19/5/591.short - any beverage counts

"This preliminary study found no significant differences in the effect of various combinations of beverages on hydration status of healthy adult males. Advising people to disregard caffeinated beverages as part of the daily fluid intake is not substantiated by the results of this study."

http://bjsportmed.com/content/40/5/406.abstract - sports drinks can hydrate more than plain water in some situations

"Ad libitum consumption of a CHO-E drink may be more effective than water in minimising fluid deficits and mean core temperature responses during tennis and other similar training in adolescent athletes."

http://www.jacn.org/content/26/suppl_5/592S.short - food counts

"Various reports indicate that humans receive 20–25% of their daily water intake from food. Fruits, vegetables and other high-moisture foods, therefore, make an important contribution to total fluid intake."

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12834577 - the diuretic effect of caffeine is minimal

"...nor does it cause significant dehydration or electrolyte imbalance during exercise."

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12187618 - the diuretic effect of caffeine is minimal

"The literature indicates that caffeine consumption stimulates a mild diuresis similar to water, but there is no evidence of a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to exercise performance or health"

"Investigations comparing caffeine (100-680 mg) to water or placebo seldom found a statistical difference in urine volume."

http://jap.physiology.org/content/83/4/1152.abstract? - interesting one about alcohol post exercise and recovery

“There appears to be no difference in recovery from dehydration whether the rehydration beverage is alcohol free or contains up to 2% alcohol, but drinks containing 4% alcohol tend to delay the recovery process.”
  • MistyEE
    MistyEE Posts: 67
    Options
    ehhh...over simplified and really does nothing to encourage healthy habits, with the most widespread choices available.
  • armesser
    armesser Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I don't think the OP is implying that you don't have to count those calories. I would still list your 8 oz glass of milk under your dinner, but it would also contribute 8 oz to the water intake portion as well.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    No thanks... It's not that I think you're wrong, but for me WATER is WATER. I'm a 64oz a day girl and don't care to change because water, plain old boring water, is GOOD FOR YOU. It's good for weight loss, complexion, headaches, and MORE.

And Btw, I've been here quite a while too... length of time on MFP doesn't make you any more of an expert than someone that just started when it comes to certain things.
  • msarro
    Options
    ehhh...over simplified and really does nothing to encourage healthy habits, with the most widespread choices available.

Care to clarify? Because the body of scientific research in the medical community disagrees with you.
    Drinking water purely to make a counter go up every day is not necessarily a healthy habit, that is largely subject to context.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options

I don't think the OP is implying that you don't have to count those calories. I would still list your 8 oz glass of milk under your dinner, but it would also contribute 8 oz to the water intake portion as well.

Seeing as milk is 87% water, no. 8OZ of Milk does not equal 8OZ of water. Do the math!
  • iMPiP
    iMPiP Posts: 4
    Options
    Who cares?

This
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    water counts as water and that's it
  • msarro
    Options
    No thanks... It's not that I think you're wrong, but for me WATER is WATER. I'm a 64oz a day girl and don't care to change because water, plain old boring water, is GOOD FOR YOU. It's good for weight loss, complexion, headaches, and MORE.

And Btw, I've been here quite a while too... length of time on MFP doesn't make you any more of an expert than someone that just started when it comes to certain things.

Please reread what I stated. Nothing comes remotely close to me stating my time here makes me more of an expert. It does however mean I've seen the "does x count as water" posts way more than your average user.

That's why I cite sources in the scientific community to back what I say up.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Who cares?

The people in the thread still on the front page "do I count the water in my protein shake?"

But you must be right, no one cares.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    It's not like drinking too much water can cause any problems. Like hyponatremia.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    OP: What total nonsense.

Water is water.
    Products that contain H20 but aren't PURE H20, aren't water.

DUH...

*heavy, heavy teasing - is not serious*