If it contains water, it counts as water. (Except booze)

Options

Replies

• CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I don't agree but, to each his own! :drinker:

What part of this post looked like an opinion to you?

The should in the beginning. .His answer is yes. He has lots of facts and that is wonderful but I am still only counting water as water. Mostly because everything else has calories. The worst thing that can happen is I am delightfully hydrated. Its a personal preference.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    OP: What total nonsense.

Right, all of those scientific journals are nonsense. And your degree and contributions to medical science are what exactly?
    :wink:
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Good god, does no one have reading comprehension any more?

OP never stated that water is not good for you.

OP never stated that calories in things like juice or milk don't count.

OP never stated that you should start drinking less water (in fact, he even specifically clarified that he's not trying to encourage anyone to drink less).

OP was simply trying to clear up a VERY common question on the boards, and he did a good job of it.

You can personally believe whatever you'd like, but the fact is, the science (cited by both OP and Sarah) states that anything you eat/drink which contains water, counts towards hydrating your body. If you want to 'disagree' with that, you might need to go back to middle school science class.

/endrant
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Most people do not count a juicy steak as a glass of water.

The point of drinking 8 glasses of water/day is to get people to substitute pure water for other beverages such as sodas, high calorie fruit juices, alcohol, and others drinks. Most people simply cannot drink enough fluid to get in 8 glasses of water while still consuming their usual number of unhealthy beverages. It's designed to change eating habits more than to simply get someone to choose juicier steaks.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    What is it that you people have against dead horses?

5 years of seeing the same post come up. You'll note I joined MFP around 3 years before you did. In that time I have seen this topic come up potentially hundreds of times. The goal is to create something that was worthy of becoming a sticky so hopefully we can have less clutter and repeated questions.

No you didn't. I've deleted my account several times over the last 5+ years. In any case, it's irrelevant.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

5 years of seeing the same post come up. You'll note I joined MFP around 3 years before you did. In that time I have seen this topic come up potentially hundreds of times. The goal is to create something that was worthy of becoming a sticky so hopefully we can have less clutter and repeated questions.

What is a sticky? Those things at the top. I just thought that was clutter to ignore.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If stupid people want to drink water because they think their diet coke doesn't count, it ain't hurtin them.

If you want to count me as stupid because I count only water as water, go a head. I think you are stupid for drinking soda. I could quote the studies and facts about how bad it is for you, but your probably too busy being insulting elsewhere so I'll save my fingers the typing. Plus I shouldn't have to use Google for you.

ps hurting has a g in it. :laugh:
  • msarro
    Options
    I don't agree but, to each his own! :drinker:

What part of this post looked like an opinion to you?

The should in the beginning. .His answer is yes. He has lots of facts and that is wonderful but I am still only counting water as water. Mostly because everything else has calories. The worst thing that can happen is I am delightfully hydrated. Its a personal preference.

Good idea, I put a note in the beginning of my post to help clarify.
  • ryry_
    Options
    Good god, does no one have reading comprehension any more?

OP never stated that water is not good for you.

OP never stated that calories in things like juice or milk don't count.

OP never stated that you should start drinking less water (in fact, he even specifically clarified that he's not trying to encourage anyone to drink less).

OP was simply trying to clear up a VERY common question on the boards, and he did a good job of it.

You can personally believe whatever you'd like, but the fact is, the science (cited by both OP and Sarah) states that anything you eat/drink which contains water, counts towards hydrating your body. If you want to 'disagree' with that, you might need to go back to middle school science class.

/endrant

Who has time to read these days?
  • MistyEE
    MistyEE Posts: 67
    Options
    ehhh...over simplified and really does nothing to encourage healthy habits, with the most widespread choices available.

Care to clarify? Because the body of scientific research in the medical community disagrees with you.
    Drinking water purely to make a counter go up every day is not necessarily a healthy habit, that is largely subject to context.

Consuming a soda, is not the same as drinking water and the associated sugar. The difference with a soda and the other? ...17 teaspoons of sugar became much more palatable. In fact, it was much easier to drink 6 - 8 12 oz sodas, than it would be to choke down 136 teaspoons of sugar.

It is much easier for the general population to focus on a simple goal, like 8 - 8 oz, than for them to calculate and account for all other ingredients or chemical processes taking place, either before or while it was consumed. Does food contribute to your hydration? Sure. Can the general population accurately measure it....not so much.
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    Sorry to keep posting, I just don't see how people can "disagree" with this, seeing as it wasn't an opinion.

Anyway, I think the main point here is that if your'e one of those people stressing about drinking 8 glasses of pure water a day, you can relax a bit. If you only drink 4 glasses, but you also have some tea, juice, and lots of juicy fruits and veggies, you're probably perfectly hydrated and you don't need to worry.

If you want to drink more water than that (I do because I like it), there's nothing wrong with that and OP never said that there was.

Why is this so difficult to understand?
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    If it is not water, record it in your food diary. If it is water, drink it when you're thirsty. Not sure why people get all worked up over this.

It's because they're pedants.
  • professorhuggins
    professorhuggins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i count my water this way:

it's 10pm and i'm finishing up logging everything and then see the little water icon and think, "oh crap...i wonder how much water i drank today? probably a lot." then i click the up arrow until it looks like water is splashing out and then click it a few more times for good measure. i'm not dead from dehydration yet, so it must work.

then again, i drink my water from a 1/2gal mason jar and make sure that my pee is pretty much clear most of the time, so maybe that has something to do with it, too.
  • msarro
    Options

No you didn't. I've deleted my account several times over the last 5+ years. In any case, it's irrelevant.

That's wonderful, sorry for assuming that was your first account. I think you can understand how it is misleading given the "joined in 2011" tag under your name.
    But given that you've been here for so long, you would understand that right now, excluding this one, there are 2 posts about "does x" count as water on the front page of this particular forum. Extrapolate that out over 5+ years.

If we could have a post which eliminates some of the double posting, it could save us all some time and clutter. If you find that irrelevant, that's your prerogative.
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    i count my water this way:

it's 10pm and i'm finishing up logging everything and then see the little water icon and think, "oh crap...i wonder how much water i drank today? probably a lot." then i click the up arrow until it looks like water is splashing out and then click it a few more times for good measure. i'm not dead from dehydration yet, so it must work.

then again, i drink my water from a 1/2gal mason jar and make sure that my pee is pretty much clear most of the time, so maybe that has something to do with it, too.

Haha, this is almost exactly what I do too :drinker:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    ehhh...over simplified and really does nothing to encourage healthy habits, with the most widespread choices available.

Care to clarify? Because the body of scientific research in the medical community disagrees with you.
    Drinking water purely to make a counter go up every day is not necessarily a healthy habit, that is largely subject to context.

Consuming a soda, is not the same as drinking water and the associated sugar. The difference with a soda and the other? ...17 teaspoons of sugar became much more palatable. In fact, it was much easier to drink 6 - 8 12 oz sodas, than it would be to choke down 136 teaspoons of sugar.

It is much easier for the general population to focus on a simple goal, like 8 - 8 oz, than for them to calculate and account for all other ingredients or chemical processes taking place, either before or while it was consumed. Does food contribute to your hydration? Sure. Can the general population accurately measure it....not so much.

So cause people are dumb and need things made simple/the truth clouded for their consumption so they'll make good choices?

And I thought my faith in humanity was low
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    OHNOOOOOO, you went there NF! Now you are going to be slammed with ALL the people who LOST all that weight drinkin diet pop and juice and not drinking water. Been there. And it was ugly.

OP - people are going to ask no matter how many stickies. And people are going to disagree with you, not based on science but what WORKS FOR THEM. In my own personal experience drinking water or some form of naturally flavored calorie free drink, like lemon water or tea (NOT POP! and yes, we can go there again too), is beneficial in more ways than it isn't. And significant to my weight loss. Scientific journal or not.
  • ryry_
    Options
    If it is not water, record it in your food diary. If it is water, drink it when you're thirsty. Not sure why people get all worked up over this.

It's because they're pedant...ic, pontificating, prententious b@st@rds. Beligerrent old farts, worthless steaming piles of cow dung..../sigh Figuratively speaking.

Fixed it for you
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    If stupid people want to drink water because they think their diet coke doesn't count, it ain't hurtin them.

If you want to count me as stupid because I count only water as water, go a head. I think you are stupid for drinking soda. I could quote the studies and facts about how bad it is for you, but your probably too busy being insulting elsewhere so I'll save my fingers the typing. Plus I shouldn't have to use Google for you.

ps hurting has a g in it. :laugh:

Please don't troll. This is a serious thread.
  • danielleeu
    danielleeu Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    bump...thank you for that information, I feel a lot better about drinking my tea now (and I never use sweetener, but was always told it didn't count towards my water intake because it wasn't "just water").