Can I count the water in my beer?

Options

Replies

• mistyblu13
    mistyblu13 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    uhhhh ya NO nice try though lol I had thought of that too a while ago but alcohol is a diuretic along with coffee and soda and caffeinated tea.....so they cant count,..,,plus it has a lot of cals ...and makes you eat more :)

and yes I am a lite beer drinker!! lol
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Only if it's mainstream American beer because as Eric Idle said, American beer is like making love in a canoe. It's &^*(ing close to water. :drinker:
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Only if it's mainstream American beer because as Eric Idle said, American beer is like making love in a canoe. It's &^*(ing close to water. :drinker:

You beat me to it!!

Oh, for those of you taking this post too seriously... Caffeine in the quantities you get in tea, coffee, and soda and alcohol in the amount you get in beer isn't enough of a diuretic to negate hydration. As long as you're drinking less than 500mg of caffeine (5 cups of coffee) or drinks with less than 10% alcohol, you're hydrating. Drink up!
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Lolz
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Since beer is liquid bread, I count my hefeweizen as a meal... the beer is a slice of whole wheat and a glass of water, and the lemon is dessert!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Since beer is liquid bread, I count my hefeweizen as a meal... the beer is a slice of whole wheat and a glass of water, and the lemon is dessert!

OMG, I thought my husband was the only one that called it liquid bread! But "whole wheat"??? What is the fiber count on that whole wheat beer of yours? :huh:

*** According to my nutritionist friend it doesn't count as whole grain beer even if you put Benefiber in it.
  • b7bbs
    b7bbs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Light? BLASPHEMER!

Don't go hatin'. I don't drink that stuff....I just said list it as water if you do. Life is too short for lite" beer". ; )

Agreed, I'm a lager girl. Yuengling all the way!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Light? BLASPHEMER!

Don't go hatin'. I don't drink that stuff....I just said list it as water if you do. Life is too short for lite" beer". ; )

Agreed, I'm a lager girl. Yuengling all the way!

Yuengling makes a light beer.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    It'd be great if you could, but you can't. Alcohol acts to suppress ADH (anti-diuretic hormone) so it makes you pee more. So while yes it technically does hydrate you, it will make pee out at least what you drink, and most likely more.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Think about this throughout human history the only safe way to drink water was through fermentation and distillation. So heck yeah you can count it your great great great great great great great great Grandpa did.
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    If I counted my beer intake with my water intake I would be classified as a water treatment facility. Which also means I'd get government protection and all that jazz.

SIGN ME UP!!!
  • angela9887
    angela9887 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you can only count water as water. lol nice try though! have your beer and drink the water! it's the summer. enjoy the extra hydration.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It'd be great if you could, but you can't. Alcohol acts to suppress ADH (anti-diuretic hormone) so it makes you pee more. So while yes it technically does hydrate you, it will make pee out at least what you drink, and most likely more.

Wrong. Beer is hydrating. Historically, beer/grog was used as the drink of choice for long distance sailing (such as across the ocean) for hundreds of years. Stagnant water will become unsafe to drink but the alcohol in beer keeps it safe to drink essentially permanently. If it wasn't hydrating, all those sailors would have died long before making landfall.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options

Wrong. Beer is hydrating. Historically, beer/grog was used as the drink of choice for long distance sailing (such as across the ocean) for hundreds of years. Stagnant water will become unsafe to drink but the alcohol in beer keeps it safe to drink essentially permanently. If it wasn't hydrating, all those sailors would have died long before making landfall.

Science. History. BOOM.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options

OMG, I thought my husband was the only one that called it liquid bread! But "whole wheat"??? What is the fiber count on that whole wheat beer of yours? :huh:

*** According to my nutritionist friend it doesn't count as whole grain beer even if you put Benefiber in it.

OK, whole wheat was a stretch. How about "thin cut white?"
  • Zlink
    Zlink Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Liquied Beer is quite old term i heard it for the first time in Weird al yankovic song :D quite old song
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Watermelon is 98-99% water, so based on your beer logic I should be logging watermelon under "water" and not food!!! :drinker:
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I don't log any water but I say go for it!

Also:

2 beers= 16 oz of water! yay
  • bcattoes
    Options

ADH doesn't stand for anti-diuretic hormone. It stands for alcohol dehydrogenase, which is an enzyme the body uses to metabolize alcohol.
  • coke_bottle
    coke_bottle Posts: 259 Member
    Options

LMAO!