Going from getting no where to melting fat off.

Options
I started on May 13th at 227.2 Lbs and 30+% BF and I'm now 213.4 @ 23% BF in just two months. In the beginning it was going very slow because I was doing silly things like eating my exercise calories back and not weighing all my foods and drinks. (Guesstimating is the enemy.) In the last couple of weeks I have made some changes and the felt is just melting off now. Here are the changes I made. Just thought I might share to help you all out.

1.) I bought a digital food scale. I used to measure everything or guesstimate. This is a big NO NO. I now measure NOTHING and weigh EVERYTHING. Yes, even that serving of ketchup.
2.) I found my TDEE and set my calories 20% below that, not my BMR. Don't eat at what MFP tells you. It's never right.
3.) I stopped eating back my exercise calories. People tend to under estimate their calorie intake and over estimate their calories burned.
4.) Do weight training AND cardio. Cardio will burn those extra calories and weight training will maintain and in a few cases, build some new muscle. The more muscle you have, the faster the fat will come off.
5.) Teach yourself moderation. Depriving yourself of the things you love is only a road to failure (for most). Eat everything you love, just don't eat it all at once and eat smaller portions. I still have beer, pizza, chocolate, etc. and the Lbs are coming off. I just know how to control it.

I've started following these rules and it's the best decisions I have ever made in fat loss. I have total control over what I'm doing and there is no wondering, guilt or stressing (which can hinder fat loss) because I know exactly what and how much is going in my body. You can take this info or leave it. It's working for me is all I know. I'll be happy to answer any questions as well.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I started on May 13th at 227.2 Lbs and 30+% BF and I'm now 213.4 @ 23% BF in just two months. In the beginning it was going very slow because I was doing silly things like eating my exercise calories back and not weighing all my foods and drinks. (Guesstimating is the enemy.) In the last couple of weeks I have made some changes and the felt is just melting off now. Here are the changes I made. Just thought I might share to help you all out.

1.) I bought a digital food scale. I used to measure everything or guesstimate. This is a big NO NO. I now measure NOTHING and weigh EVERYTHING. Yes, even that serving of ketchup.
    2.) I found my TDEE and set my calories 20% below that, not my BMR. Don't eat at what MFP tells you. It's never right.
    3.) I stopped eating back my exercise calories. People tend to under estimate their calorie intake and over estimate their calories burned.
    4.) Do weight training AND cardio. Cardio will burn those extra calories and weight training will maintain and in a few cases, build some new muscle. The more muscle you have, the faster the fat will come off.
    5.) Teach yourself moderation. Depriving yourself of the things you love is only a road to failure (for most). Eat everything you love, just don't eat it all at once and eat smaller portions. I still have beer, pizza, chocolate, etc. and the Lbs are coming off. I just know how to control it.

I've started following these rules and it's the best decisions I have ever made in fat loss. I have total control over what I'm doing and there is no wondering, guilt or stressing (which can hinder fat loss) because I know exactly what and how much is going in my body. You can take this info or leave it. It's working for me is all I know. I'll be happy to answer any questions as well.

Congrats on figuring out where you needed improvement. I agree with most of your suggestions. as for #2, I don't agree that MFP is never right, I have always found that TDEE - 20% and MFP at 1 lb a week plus exercise calories puts me in pretty much the same place.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Good job :)
  • sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

Congrats on figuring out where you needed improvement. I agree with most of your suggestions. as for #2, I don't agree that MFP is never right, I have always found that TDEE - 20% and MFP at 1 lb a week plus exercise calories puts me in pretty much the same place.

That's cool...It never seems to work for me for some reason.
  • sourmash1973
    Options
    Good job :)

TY
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options

Congrats on finding the right combination for yourself! I'm about ready to look into the TDEE thing and I have a scale (just need to use it!!!) Obviously what I'm doing is working so far, but never hurts to try something else.
  • sourmash1973
    Options

Congrats on finding the right combination for yourself! I'm about ready to look into the TDEE thing and I have a scale (just need to use it!!!) Obviously what I'm doing is working so far, but never hurts to try something else.

Yep, the more safe and effective methods you can arm yourself with, the better. Keep up the good work.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Of course you wouldn't want to eat your calories back on TDEE -20%. Exercise is already factored into your TDEE. If you ate your burned calories back on top of that with the TDEE method you'd be adding them in twice and overeating.
  • sourmash1973
    Options

Of course you wouldn't want to eat your calories back on TDEE -20%. Exercise is already factored into your TDEE. If you ate your burned calories back on top of that with the TDEE method you'd be adding them in twice and overeating.

Yep! This is what I was doing before, not really understanding the whole concept.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Nice congrats, just remember you need to recalculate your numbers every 10-15 lbs or so.
  • sourmash1973
    Options
    Nice congrats, just remember you need to recalculate your numbers every 10-15 lbs or so.

Thank you and I actually recalculate every time I drop a whole Lb. I know, it may be a little obsessive but, well, I am a little obsessive...LOL.
  • Kareemelnaggar
    Kareemelnaggar Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Yep! This is what I was doing before, not really understanding the whole concept.

Your TDEE is your required caloric intake to remain at your current weight based off of your current activity level and BMR. Since your BMR is what you need to live, you need to factor that number up to reach your TDEE. If you are using your TDEE - 20% to lose weight you are essentially using your (BMR + Calories burned) - 20% of that total. That is basically the same thing. TDEE is just a simple way to ball park your daily needs based off of your average exercise each week. If you want to be really exact about it you should use (BMR + calories burned) - 20%, but TDEE - 20% should work just fine.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finding what works for you. Keep going strong!!!!!
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Nice! Congrats on the progress!

I've really gone back and forth about the scale. My husband has really been reluctant about me getting one because he doesn't want it to turn into an obsession for me, and he worries that I stress too much about my weight as it is. As for my own personal thoughts, I'd like the journey to be as natural and comfortable for me as possible, and I'm not sure where measuring everything fits into that. I DO have a tendency to over-obsess about these things, so that's a slippery slope.

If I stop seeing results, however, you'll probably see me back here with a scale in my hand!
  • kristenonly
    kristenonly Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    VERY happy to have read this....THIS is where I must be going wrong!
    Thank you for the info. :-)
  • Monkeyca_Rodriguez
    Monkeyca_Rodriguez Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks a lot for sharing and congrats! :flowerforyou:
  • SGTRizzuto
    SGTRizzuto Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good Job! I do the same to an extent. I still have my favorite foods, just not as often and not as much per sitting as I use to. I also do carido early in the morning, go to work, then towards the end of my day I go lift weights. I have noticed about a 7lb drop in the last week or so.
  • sourmash1973
    Options
    Nice! Congrats on the progress!

I've really gone back and forth about the scale. My husband has really been reluctant about me getting one because he doesn't want it to turn into an obsession for me, and he worries that I stress too much about my weight as it is. As for my own personal thoughts, I'd like the journey to be as natural and comfortable for me as possible, and I'm not sure where measuring everything fits into that. I DO have a tendency to over-obsess about these things, so that's a slippery slope.

If I stop seeing results, however, you'll probably see me back here with a scale in my hand!

Yeah, I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to these things. But I sooooo enjoy having control over it all. That way there are no questions left unanswered when I step on the scale.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I was stalling out, and found that doubling my water intake has caused a rapid drop (4 pounds in 3 days). It's awesome to figure all this stuff out!

As an aside, I did a double-take, because you strongly resemble my ex-husband. Ha! I had to check to see where you live!
  • sourmash1973
    Options
    Good Job! I do the same to an extent. I still have my favorite foods, just not as often and not as much per sitting as I use to. I also do carido early in the morning, go to work, then towards the end of my day I go lift weights. I have noticed about a 7lb drop in the last week or so.

AWESOME...Keep up the good work. Be cautious if those kind of numbers persist though. You don't want to lose too much too fast. Not healthy...
  • sourmash1973
    Options
    Congrats! I was stalling out, and found that doubling my water intake has caused a rapid drop (4 pounds in 3 days). It's awesome to figure all this stuff out!

As an aside, I did a double-take, because you strongly resemble my ex-husband. Ha! I had to check to see where you live!

LMAO...Glad I'm not. No offense to you, I just have one ex already and that's enough!!!