Eating Once a Day

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with eating once a day. It will not have any adverse effects on your metabolism, despite the claims of some previous posters. There's really nothing to back that up.

I'm not sure the 1000 to 1500 calories is going to be enough, but if you're losing weight, go for about a 20% deficit from your maintenance calories. I wouldn't go lower than that.

As long as you are hitting your calorie goals every day, there is no difference between 1 or 13 meals in the day. I personally enjoy the freedom of essentially "skipping breakfast" and eating 2 meals a day. They are bigger, satisfying meals, and I rarely have any kind of issues with feeling super starving.

This!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    So much crap in this thread. You are not going to lose muscle mass because you save all your calories for an evening meal. Your body does not digest food so quickly that it burns through a huge dinner and starts eating your muscle in less than 24 hours. And your metabolism is not a furnace that needs to be stoked at regular intervals. As long as your heart is beating in your chest, your metabolism is working.

I eat one meal a day. At night. 1700 calories. I'm losing fat and maintaining muscle just fine.

There's an intermittent fasting group on here if you're interested (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting), or you can read Leangains.com.

I would add that, at first glance, I think 1500 is way too low for you, OP, but it depends on your goals.

^This.

It is completely personal preference on how many meals and what time you eat them. There is no need to worry about your metabolism from doing this.

Eating too large a deficit on the other hand can lead to metabolic slowing over the long term so try to keep it at a moderate level.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    So much crap in this thread. You are not going to lose muscle mass because you save all your calories for an evening meal. Your body does not digest food so quickly that it burns through a huge dinner and starts eating your muscle in less than 24 hours. And your metabolism is not a furnace that needs to be stoked at regular intervals. As long as your heart is beating in your chest, your metabolism is working.

I eat one meal a day. At night. 1700 calories. I'm losing fat and maintaining muscle just fine.

There's an intermittent fasting group on here if you're interested (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting), or you can read Leangains.com.

I would add that, at first glance, I think 1500 is way too low for you, OP, but it depends on your goals.

Yes. This.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    :

If you eat all of your calories at night, how does your body process all that food, since essentially your metabolism shuts down while you're sleeping?

True Story.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • CaffeineIsMyGod
    Options
    I have a habit of only eating one meal a day and it's horrific. Once it was habit I literally would forget to eat breakfast and lunch. It's pretty self destructive. I had and still have extreme pains in my stomach, I was literally starving my body, I can't participant in sporting activities because I just don't have the energy to. I know it sounds stupid but try not to make your dinner the highest calorie meal of the day as it is difficult for your body to burn before going to bed. It's really not ideal to be eating that many calories in one meal though.
  • purpleiris82
    purpleiris82 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Talk to a doctor, you need to eat more than once a day.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

No.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I know there is always an arguement over this but wanted to see what you guys thought. I'm currently on day 4 of eating one meal per day. I eat nothing all day until dinner time when I make dinner for my kids. I decided to do this because I am always hungry regardless of if i eat lunch or not and I haven't been a breakfast eater most of my adult life. What do you guys think is 1000- to 1500 calories a day enough. I'm a male 39 years old 5'9" 178lbs currently. I would like to lose my belly and then focus on exercise after I've lost the weight.

No problem with eating all your food in 1 meal, 3 meals or 6 meals. Whatever suits you best.

Your calories are very low, too low I would say. Why not start higher and adjust depending on what results you get?

Really don't think waiting to exercise until you have lost weight is a good idea at all - exercise now for health and to preserve muscle mass while you are at a deficit. Mix of both strength and cardio would be best.

PS - ignore all the nonsense about metabolism stopping/starting when you sleep/wake and lighting fires - what on earth do they teach in schools these days?
  • taylorreisiger
    taylorreisiger Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That sounds unhealthy.. If I'm not eating at least every hour I get so moody it's not even funny. And I'm 5'4 and 118 pounds.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    This keeps getting better and better.

OP just listen to jq, she knows what she's talking about.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    just listen to jq

This is the best advice anyone has given on MFP, ever.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Also, it is quite common for me to eat 2,000 calories in one meal after lifting, and usually not long before I've gone to bed. I've probably done that 3 times a week for about the last 3-4 months. If there is any problem with that, I sure haven't experienced it. Do what works for you and ignore the alarmist BS responses about your metabolism and how on earth your body will deal with it overnight. It's hogwash.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I forget. Is it zombies or vampires who have to worry about their metabolisms going cold at night. Either way, we seem to have a lot of them around...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to wait to start exercising?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

As long as you're getting your requisite calories and nutrition, it doesn't matter. Meal timing and/or frequency is irrelevant. That said, I could never do it...I'd kill somebody.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    There is so much misinformation and bad advice in this thread, it's unbelievable. It makes no difference to your body composition whether you have one 2000 calorie meal a day or five 400 calorie meals a day. The myth of 5 or 6 small meals a day to keep your metabolism running all day was proven completely false like almost a decade ago. It takes AT LEAST 72 hours of zero calorie intake for your metabolism to start changing or slowing down so don't listen to anybody who says meal timing or number of meals a day will affect your metabolism. Insulin spikes do not matter if you are eating at a deficit, or eating as maintenance because anything that gets stored as fat will be utilized later as fuel.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, my brother eats one meal a day and is very over weight. When you are only eating once per day your metabolism is going to be slower... The reason they say breakfast is so important is because it jump starts your metabolism for the day. Even having something as simple as a glass of milk in the morning can start up your metabolism. Also if you eat smaller meals throughout the day it will make your metabolism faster as well. If you are having issues with being hungry even after you are eating, maybe evaluate the quality of the food you are having. Carbs are better earlier in the day because you will use it as energy. Protein/Fiber help to keep you full longer. Also, you should eat salad at the end of your meal instead of before because it helps you to digest the food better. You can ask a DOCTOR or a NUTRITIONIST about this instead of relying on random strangers online who think they know everything. I don't see how you could get all of your nutritional values from eating one 1500 calorie meal per day.
  • Widadita
    Widadita Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If you eat all of your calories at night, how does your body process all that food, since essentially your metabolism shuts down while you're sleeping?

tumblr_m8wq4hoArt1r2n19do1_400.jpg

LOOOOOOOOOL
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

So, your heart stops beating, you stop breathing & your brain is inactive while you sleep? So much fail.......
    My recommendation on this would be to change your eating habits to eating multiple small meals each day. You won't mess up your metabolism, and your body will absorb the nutrients you eat properly.

and more fail..........

will it ever end?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, my brother eats one meal a day and is very over weight. When you are only eating once per day your metabolism is going to be slower... The reason they say breakfast is so important is because it jump starts your metabolism for the day. Even having something as simple as a glass of milk in the morning can start up your metabolism. Also if you eat smaller meals throughout the day it will make your metabolism faster as well. If you are having issues with being hungry even after you are eating, maybe evaluate the quality of the food you are having. Carbs are better earlier in the day because you will use it as energy. Protein/Fiber help to keep you full longer. Also, you should eat salad at the end of your meal instead of before because it helps you to digest the food better. You can ask a DOCTOR or a NUTRITIONIST about this instead of relying on random strangers online who think they know everything. I don't see how you could get all of your nutritional values from eating one 1500 calorie meal per day.

The reason "they" say breakfast is so important is usually that they're trying to sell you their breakfast food. Most of the studies you hear quoted on the Special K commercials are correlations studies not causation studies.