BBQ ideas

Options
13»

Replies

• pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing on the grill is Onion Soup.

Take a big Vidalia onion, hollow out the inside with a spoon or melon baller. You want to take quite a bit out, but don't go through the bottom. Then put a beef boullion cube and a tablespoon of butter inside. Wrap it in tin foil and grill till soft and brown(mine take about an hour but it depends on the size of your onion and how much you take out of the middle). Do not flip! If you want in the last 10 minutes you can open it up and put a slice of cheese on top, cheddar works good.
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I BBQ everything, because I'm the Tongmaster

Here's my story.

Mike was at the barbecue and Dwight was at the barbecue and I was at the barbecue; three men standing around a barbecue, sipping beer, staring at sausages, rolling them backwards and forwards, never leaving them alone. We didn't know why we were at the barbecue; we were just drawn there like moths to a flame. The barbecue was a powerful gravitational force, a man-magnet. Dwight said the thin ones could use a turn, I said yeah I reckon the thin ones could use a turn, Mike said yeah they really need a turn it was a unanimous turning decision.
    Mike was the Tong-Master, a true artist, he gave a couple of practice snaps of his long silver tongs, SNAP SNAP, before moving in, prodding, teasing, and with an elegant flick of his wrist, rolling them onto their little backs. A lesser tong-man would've flicked too hard; the sausages would've gone full circle, back to where they started. Nice, I said. The others went yeah.
    Ron was passing us, he heard the siren-song- sizzle of the snags, the barbecue was calling, beckoning, Ronnnnnn ...come. He stuck his head in and said any room? We said yeah and began the barbecue shuffle; Mike shuffled to the left, Dwight shuffled to the left, I shuffled to the left, Ron slipped in beside me, we sipped our beer. Now there were four of us staring at sausages, and Mike gave me the nod, my cue. I was second-in-command, and I had to take the raw sausages out of the plastic bag and lay them on the barbecue; not too close together, not too far apart, curl them into each other's bodies like lovers -fat ones, thin ones, herbed and continental. The jalapenos were tiny, they could easily slip down between the grill, falling into the molten hot-coal-netherworld below. Carefully, I laid them sideways ACROSS the grill, clever thinking. Mike snapped his tongs with approval; there was no greater barbecue honor.
    Carlos came along, he said “looking good”, and the irresistible lure of the barbecue had pulled him in too. We said yeah and did the shuffle, left, left, left, left, he slipped in beside Ron, We sipped our beer. Five men, lots of sausages. Dwight was the Fork-pronger; he had the fork that pronged the tough hides of the Bavarian bratwursts and he showed a lot of promise. Stabbing away eagerly, leaving perfect little vampire holes up and down the casing. Carlos was shaking his head, he said I reckon they cook better if you don't poke them.
    There was a long silence, you could have heard a jalapeno drop, and this newcomer was a rabble-rouser, bringing in his crazy ideas from outside. He didn't understand the hierarchy; first the Tong-master, then the Sausage-layer, then the Fork-pronger -and everyone below was just a watcher. Maybe eventually they'll move up the ladder, but for now -don't rock the Weber.

Dianne popped her head in; hmmm, smells good, she said. She was trying to jostle into the circle; we closed ranks, pulling our heads down and our shoulders in, mumbling yeah yeah yeah, but making no room for her. She was keen, going round to the far side of the barbecue, heading for the only available space . . . the gap in the circle where all the smoke and ashes blew. Nobody could survive the gap; Dianne was going to try. She stood there stubbornly, smoke blinding her eyes, ashes filling her nostrils, sausage fat spattering all over her arms and face. Until she couldn't take it anymore, she gave up, backed off. Ron waited till she was gone and sipped his beer. We sipped our beer, yeah.
    Mike handed me his tongs. I looked at him and he nodded. I knew what was happening, I'd waited a long time for this moment - the abdication. The tongs weighed heavy in my hands, firm in my grip - was I ready for the responsibility? Yes, I was. I held them up high and they glinted in the sun. Don't forget to turn the thin ones Mike said as he walked away from the barbecue, disappearing toward the house. Yeah I called back, I will, I will. I snapped them twice, SNAP SNAP, before moving in, prodding, teasing, and with an elegant flick of my wrist, rolling them back onto their little bellies. I was a natural, I was the TONG-MASTER.
    But only until Mike got back from the toilet.
    Best story ever told!
  • kimdt74
    kimdt74 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of chicken breast and pork loin chops marinated in different sauces. Last night I marinated chicken breast, onion and bell peppers to make kabobs. I usually put pineapple on them also but I was out. Cut up potatoes, cabbage, or squash with onion, bacon bits and a little butter, wrap in foil and grill until tender.
  • jangier
    jangier Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    - asparagus wrapped in prosciutto cooked on the grill, over about 400 takes just a few minutes to crisp the prosciutto

- grilled zucchini - cut lengthwise and spread with olive oil & pepper then grill each side, takes a little longer till tender

- foil packets with cauliflower, olive oil, salt, & pepper - OMG this was so good took about 25 minutes to cook

- grilled pizza - flat out layered with sauce and cheese, then grilled directly about 5-7 minutes to desired crunchiness
  • CMay16
    CMay16 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I made delicious chicken and cherry tomato kabobs this past weekend.

I marinated the chicken in homemade basil pesto and they came out great, full of flavour. I got the recipe off of SkinnyTaste.com.
  • hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Anything that can be cooked in an oven can be cooked on a BBQ. Simply wrap whatever in foil with spices or seasonings and fold it like a little foil baggy and place on grill. Super good.

I love putting corn in foil with some butter, salt and cilantro and grilling it. YUM!
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    For veggies - just olive oil and salt and pepper and put directly on the grill? Or in foil?

Pineapple - sounds yummy! What do you season it with?
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing on the grill is Onion Soup.

Take a big Vidalia onion, hollow out the inside with a spoon or melon baller. You want to take quite a bit out, but don't go through the bottom. Then put a beef boullion cube and a tablespoon of butter inside. Wrap it in tin foil and grill till soft and brown(mine take about an hour but it depends on the size of your onion and how much you take out of the middle). Do not flip! If you want in the last 10 minutes you can open it up and put a slice of cheese on top, cheddar works good.

This sounds fun and tasty and different! I will try it!
  • jeromykaplan
    jeromykaplan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Fish,steak,chicken,cat,veggies are good

Snuck in that cat, eh? lol
    haha i was wondering if anyone would catch that lol
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My daughter asked for a Turkey dinner this weekend.

I had originally planned on cooking a whole turkey in the oven and bought one, Now we're having this heat wave and I don't want to add further heat to the house, so, I am going to BBQ it. Not whole. Planning on cutting it up to BBQ.. Instead of Mashed potatoes, I will BBQ fingerling potatoes and, instead of green bean casserole, we will have grilled asparagus.

For dessert, instead of traditional apple pie, I will grill Peaches and brush a habanero rasberry glaze on them.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Got one question though. Should I grill the breasts whole and slice them, or, slice them first and grill them? Look forward to some feedback, but I think grilling the breasts whole might be the way to go. Less chance of drying them out.

I have even done the whole bird. It was really good. Did not use a spit just set it on the rack using indirect heat.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    sounds smokeh!
  • Pandy1962
    Pandy1962 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hot dogs and burgers? Are you talking about a grill? Why would you BBQ hot dogs? They are pre-cooked. :ohwell:

ETA: When I BBQ, it's usually pork ribs or a beef brisket, sometimes chicken or pork loin.

Wnedy in the UK any sausage in a finger roll is referred to as a hotdog not just the precooked frankfurter type.
  • tr1plets3
    tr1plets3 Posts: 8
    Options
    bump