why do people run on treadmills as soon as they get on them?

Options
13»

Replies

• explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I put on my shoes, march in place for 10 seconds (maybe do a couple small stretches if I am feeling tight, no more than 1 minute), walk out the door and start running. You really don't need to warm up, and you certainly shouldn't judge others. Though, looking through your post history you seem to think the world revolves around you. Women stare enviously at you a the gym? Yeahsure.

Let other people do what works for them.
  • fitgirl09jessica
    Options
    People wear hoodies on the treadmill when they run because they sweat more with it on. (most people I know who workout like to sweat)

I have more endurance when I start out running than doing a walking warm-up... I run longer and faster just jumping in than I do taking it easy. And no I don't stretch either.. I do that when I get out of bed in the morning.

It's different for everyone. You can't judge someone for how they choose to workout. At least they are doing something and not sitting on the couch stuffing their face with a big mac and fries.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    << still wants to know why the car is full of balloons :grumble:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    and am I the only one who feels robbed cause none of this guy's posts rhyme? :huh:
    they look like they should rhyme.:ohwell:

..just sayin.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    The treadmill doesn't just immediately get to your speed. It takes about 15-30 seconds for it to reach your desired speed. I figure that's "enough" time to "warm up".
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Although I sometimes wish life was a sci-fi movie, it's not. So I assume, maybe incorrectly, that most people walk to get to the gym rather than teleport there and just start running on the treadmill.

I never stretch before a run only afterwards.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I wear my hoodie for the same reason I'm that guy on a bike with a winter coat as soon as it dips below forty - my lungs aren't happy with cold and keeping them happy isn't negotiable. Yes, there is a way around this, and it costs me sleep if I use it too late in the day. My sleep and lungs trump the magazines idea of "good" workout wear.

Oh, by the way... I've seen entire sports teams that won't stretch until after running. Reason was something about injuries.
  • JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options
    Never warm up. Just get there and start pounding away. I also don't have a cool down and I have never had any issues.
  • murdy745
    murdy745 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Been a runner for twenty years, my feet start running as soon as they hit the ground. Why not?
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    If I'm heading to the treadmill after doing nothing but sitting around the house all day, I may walk for about five minutes on it before I start to run. But most of the time I've been up and moving for hours, so I just get on the treadmill and start running.

I also don't stretch before races. Never been a problem.

I'm coaching someone in C25K right now and stand around while she stretches before and after every single workout. Her legs always hurt, mine never do.
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    just dont wanna see folks injure themselves on something embarassing like a treadmill
    warm those muscles up first folks then crank it up

Is this a fear that you have of something that might happen to you? I run and I never warm up.... the warm up is usually the first ten minutes of a run. Obviously you are not a runner..... especially since you think a treadmill is embarrassing.... get on one once in a while.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I've been a runner since jr. high, and I have NEVER stretched or warmed up before a run-- treadmill or outdoor. It's a matter of preference. If you walked to get to wherever you're running, there, you warmed up. As for stretching, it's actually better to do it after your run, and there's no benefit to doing before. Some studies show that pre-run stretching actually impedes performance.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    no warmup or nothing
    makes me cringe
    not to be a snob but thats not the proper way to run
    dont be that person who walks into the gym with hoody still on
    gets on the treadmill and without a warmup much less a stretch
    cranks it up and start pounding away on it

I never stretch and I never warm up and I have never been injured from it.

You don't *have* to warm up.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I never warm up until I have walked some. trainers are all saying now to walk or run alittle before you stretch COLD muscles