how much protein do I need when lifting?

Options
mkakids
mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
I read in a strong lifts article (link below) that when training hard you should aim for 1g per POUND of body weight in protein each day. That would be 189 grams for me. I never come anywhere near that.

Today I am at 90g and I had 2 eggs for breakfast, a burger with cheese for lunch and 6oz steak for dinner!

Yesterday I got to 132g but only because I had 3 scoops of protein powder (18g each).

How do you get in all the protein your supposed to? I do eat dairy (raw, full fat only), nuts, etc... but never seem to get to past 140g.

http://stronglifts.com/protein-daily-needs-myths-best-sources-protein/

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    your diary is closed so kind of hard to see what you are eating..

I usually hit about 200+ each day ...my diary is open ...

I usually have eggs, greek yogurt, chicken, steak, pork, brown rice, some protein powder, but I prefer to eat my protein but will go to the powder in a pinch...

seven ounces of chicken is about 39 grams of protein ..salmon is very high in protein too ...

its not that hard once you start focusing in on the high protein foods...
  • romanjason
    Options
    1lb per body weight is correct, that is the best diet, to get lean and stay strong. Remember, that you'll need to eat as if you are a caveperson, only fresh meat, fresh fruit and vegetables. Simple! - In order to Grow Muscle size, you'll need 1.5 to 2lbs per body weight in order to feed the muscles and get the aminos the muscle cells need to grow mass. You can achieve the increase protein by eating egg Whites (never eat the full egg) 1 cup 2x a day, protein powder drinks 2 a day, chicken breast 2lbs a day (I eat a lot of chicken breasts)!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    your diary is closed so kind of hard to see what you are eating..

I usually hit about 200+ each day ...my diary is open ...

I usually have eggs, greek yogurt, chicken, steak, pork, brown rice, some protein powder, but I prefer to eat my protein but will go to the powder in a pinch...

seven ounces of chicken is about 39 grams of protein ..salmon is very high in protein too ...

its not that hard once you start focusing in on the high protein foods...

^ This. Are you a vegetarian or vegan? Cause otherwise it's not very difficult if you focus on which foods are high protein, such as some of the ones the above poster listed.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    1lb per body weight is correct, that is the best diet, to get lean and stay strong. Remember, that you'll need to eat as if you are a caveperson, only fresh meat, fresh fruit and vegetables. Simple! - In order to Grow Muscle size, you'll need 1.5 to 2lbs per body weight in order to feed the muscles and get the aminos the muscle cells need to grow mass. You can achieve the increase protein by eating egg Whites (never eat the full egg) 1 cup 2x a day, protein powder drinks 2 a day, chicken breast 2lbs a day (I eat a lot of chicken breasts)!

No.

You don't need to "eat like a caveperson." You can eat whatever you want as long as you hit your cals/macros.

Never eat the full egg? WTF NOT? Why would you waste that delicious yolk???

:noway:
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    1 g per pound of lean body weight. For instance... when I was really overweight, it would be pointless to eat over 300 grams of protein. Around 150 has been plenty for me.
  • mkakids
    Options

Im impressed you can eat 2lbs of chicken breast in one day!! I could never do that, I have to force myself to eat the meat and eggs I do get in. I could easily go vegan.
  • mkakids
    Options
    I opened my diary. I am not vegan, but I could be very easily. I just dont really like meat/eggs...I eat them because I feel like I have to.

Eta...mfp lists my protein powder as 12g, but the can says 18.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I opened my diary. I am not vegan, but I could be very easily. I just dont really like meat/eggs...I eat them because I feel like I have to.

you don't like eggs? Damn I can't really help you LOL :) I eat like four eggs scrambled in the morning with some sargento four cheese mexican and two slices of bacon ..that probably gets me 30 grams of protein and tastes sooooo freaking good...

I guess you could just go to protein shakes...not really the best option but if you do not like meat/eggs not sure what to do ...you could eat chicken three times a day...
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Read this article, it's based on an actual scientific study, everything else is broscience and best guess.

http://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
  • mkakids
    Options

you don't like eggs? Damn I can't really help you LOL :) I eat like four eggs scrambled in the morning with some sargento four cheese mexican and two slices of bacon ..that probably gets me 30 grams of protein and tastes sooooo freaking good...

I guess you could just go to protein shakes...not really the best option but if you do not like meat/eggs not sure what to do ...you could eat chicken three times a day...

Imo, chicken is the grossest of meats, lol!

I eat 2 to 3 eggs each day (fried or hard boiled)...but not because I like them, lol. I feel like I have to eat them.
  • kittenkris
    kittenkris Posts: 112
    Options
    Read the article at mennohenselmans.com. To me it looks like you should really eat about half of your desired body weightasin. I want to be 160 so I need to consume about 80 to 120 grams. I have a lot to loose and just started lifting. I'm planning on doing heavy lifting eventually. At 49!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

There's a lot of incorrect "broscience" in here...

first, there's nothing wrong with eating carbs you want. You do not need to eat like a caveman, unless you prefer to.

Second, there is never any reason to purposely avoid eating full eggs, unless you have high cholesterol or are VERY closely watching your calorie intake.

I agree with eating a lot of lean protein, and protein supplement shakes are never a bad idea. I almost never get to my daily goal without a scoop or two.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Also, if you don't like the taste of eggs, you can mix in raw egg whites (whites because they have less flavor than the yolks) into your protein shake. I put 2 raw egg whites in my chocolate powder, but I hear it's AMAZING with cake batter flavored protein powder. It makes it creamy and a little frothy, and I swear I couldn't taste the egg at all. It's worth a try.
  • GravyBrah
    GravyBrah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I felt that mennohenselmans.com article was a bit too over the top. Its trying so hard to debase a general statement that it doesn't even touch on the whole concept or the point of high protein consumption. There's nothing bro science about choosing a diet focused on protein rather than carbohydrates and fat. In fact, the author also wrote another article saying we don't actually need to have any carbohydrates in our diets at all. While there is some scientific merit, these's no need to confuse people on here with it.
  • mounty89
    mounty89 Posts: 41
    Options
    1 g per pound of lean body weight. For instance... when I was really overweight, it would be pointless to eat over 300 grams of protein. Around 150 has been plenty for me.

Take note of this. 1g per lb of LEAN body weight not actual bodyweight. I weigh 212lbs but with my bodyfat around 20% my lean body mass is around 163-165 so i aim for around 170g protein a day.

cottage cheese, tuna, chicken are my big three. tins of tuna can have like 30g protein so you can soon boost your protein count.
  • mkakids
    Options
    Also, if you don't like the taste of eggs, you can mix in raw egg whites (whites because they have less flavor than the yolks) into your protein shake. I put 2 raw egg whites in my chocolate powder, but I hear it's AMAZING with cake batter flavored protein powder. It makes it creamy and a little frothy, and I swear I couldn't taste the egg at all. It's worth a try.

Thanks! I never thought of that!
  • romanjason
    Options
    For all of the "Haters" out there, that want to question the meal-plan advise and call it bro-science. Watch this video, and it will educate you. Data and info was compiled by scientists, Doctors, PHD's, lab experts. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jim-stoppani-six-week-shortcut-to-shred-nutrition-overview.html
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options
    It seems like a lot, but you'll get used to it. Build up to eating that much and it won't be as much as a problem. But, if you still have problems, that's where your handy dandy protein sups come in
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I do 0.82 lb of protein cause im not 100% lean muscle hahahaha