Long Term Soy Milk Use in Women?

Options
I'm wondering if any women who have used soy milk long term (to replace cow milk) have had any side effects or changes? I'm swapping from cows to soy (couldn't stomach the almond milk), but am looking to reassure myself it's safe! There's just so much scare-mongering in the news about soy, and whilst I am already vegetarian, I use quorn rather than soy for cooking.

Replies

• yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk straight, but I consume a fair amount of soy. I put soy milk in granola occasionally, eat soy based ice cream (and almond milk ice cream as well), tofu...

I haven't had any problems as of yet. Moderation is key with everything.
  • amy_1987
    amy_1987 Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm using about 650-700ml milk a day through breakfast and lunch, tea and coffee. Moderation is not my strong point, although is something I'm trying to learn!
  • ittyXbittyXbritty
    Options
    I eat mostly vegan, so most of my protein sources are soy-based. It's been this way since I was 12, so nearly 8 years now. I've noticed no adverse effects.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've used soy milk as a complete replacement for cows milk for the last 17yrs. Definitely no adverse effects, or worrying symptoms.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Woman who drink soy milk have a slightly more elevated risk of developing breast cancer as they get older. That's why I stopped drinking it when I did the research.
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    seriously? i have breast cancer in close family, and have soy based things as cant have normal milk. is this definate?
  • Project9
    Project9 Posts: 135
    Options
    Almond milk for me.
  • jjay23
    jjay23 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am dairy intolerant, I have had soya milk and products instead of cows since I was 2, I am now 27 and feeling fine, super healthy apart from being a little chubs. there is scaremongering for everything x
  • Mrsshellers
    Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Scaremongering? I havent heard anything, but even if I had I wouldnt give up soy, its much nicer than cows milk IMO - I dont drink lots of it I only have it on cereal but its done me no harm
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I eat cereal with soy milk for breakfast nearly every day, and have been doing so for years, no negative effects as far as I know.
  • jjay23
    jjay23 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i mena scaremongering in general about types of food, soy apparently is linked to certain things
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Actually soy does not increase breast cancer in women and a study published in JAMA shows the consumption of soy does not increase breast cancer occurrence risk in women with estrogen positive breast cancer. When you think about long term soy use Asian women have a low incidence of breast cancer. I work with breast cancer survivors.
  • tinylightsbelow
    tinylightsbelow Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Like Pinkylee, I have seen studies that show the opposite idea - that soy might (possibly, not definitively) have a protective effect against breast cancer.

That said, I occasionally rotate out soymilk and drink almond milk, oat milk, etc. I just believe in variety in general, and being the tofu-eater that I am I don't want to get almost -all- of my nutrition from soy.