Calorie Intake / Defecit Eating

Options
Hi all, I wanted to throw a question out there. I am here obviously to lose weight and am a candidate for bariatric surgery. I haven't committed yet as I'm waiting to see how I progress but I have been following the recommended diet as explained to me by the nutritionist in the office I am being seen at. So why, if I'm following medical advice, do so many people go out of their way to slam my caloric intake? I try to stay between 800-1000 calories a day, 20 g carbs, 40 g fat and 80-100 g protein as directed. I don't "eat back" exercise calories and I don't feel hungry and the weight is coming off. You would think from some peoples reactions that I am initiating the apocalypse. So, constructive, intelligent responses only please, am I wrong? :noway:

Replies

• beccib2
    beccib2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Can i ask? If you are comfortable with what you are doing now, and pleased with the results, are you still considering surgery?
  • jugreen55
    jugreen55 Posts: 1
    Options
    From your description, sounds like you are doing well. Keep up the good work. It didn't take a day or two for the weight to come on, so it will take a day or two for it to come off. There will be nay-sayers wherever you go. Just know that you are doing what you are supposed to in order for the weight to come off.
  • Foxtrot2N
    Foxtrot2N Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's on the table only because I've lost weight before but failed to keep it off. However, that being said, this round FEELS different. I'm losing faster, exercising more and more importantly ENJOYING it! I haven't written surgery off but if I can hit goal and find a healthy balance to maintain then I would definitely prefer that option.
  • joannbrunton
    joannbrunton Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating just 800-1000 calories per day? I think what most people are saying is that a huge calorie deficit like that is not sustainable for the long haul. It is going to make you lose a lot of weight at first but then you have to have a lifestyle change to keep the weight off and keep your body properly fed.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    People slam it for 2 reasons...

1) it goes against generally accepted principles (you're eating too little in general, too few fats, and carbs are restricted so much one might question the sustainability). They ignore the fact that you're following a professional's advice, either because they didn't read that close, think they know more, or assume the nutritionist is a moron.

2) they slam everything. it's the internet, it happens.
  • supremelady
    supremelady Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I think the question is will you be able to keep up a 800-1000 calorie intake long term? I know that they require you to lose a certain amount of weight before the surgery. but if you decide not to go with the surgery can you see your self eating 1000 calories everyday forever?
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    HEY dude--NO ONE has the right to judge what you do or don't take in. Your mind has to make your decision of surgery or no surgery, BUT bearing that in mind my niece had it done BUT only after her Dr and I put her on a strict 6 month exercise program. NOW she knows how to keep going. This is not a diet but a life style change. And we all have faith that you can do this
  • SarahRea32
    SarahRea32 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    People slam it for 2 reasons...

1) it goes against generally accepted principles (you're eating too little in general, too few fats, and carbs are restricted so much one might question the sustainability). They ignore the fact that you're following a professional's advice, either because they didn't read that close, think they know more, or assume the nutritionist is a moron.

2) they slam everything. it's the internet, it happens.

I think this response covers it!

For what it's worth, my nutritionist recommended a plan that comes out at roughly 2000-2200 per day, but I am by no means overweight. However, i once was and my experience has taught me that serious restriction of calories especially when combined with exercise always led to my gaining the weight back. This time it's been slow, but I am eating in a way that will be sustainable for life so I have no fear that I will gain it back - literally the day I got to goal was the only day I was at goal! This time, I've plateaued a lot - the last 7kg has taken 18 months (but again I am no longer considered overweight). Having said all this, the most important thing for anyone on here is to find what works for you and you're the only one can do that, so ignore any haters.

Best wishes :)
  • tmcc70
    tmcc70 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are on the right track. I'm a very visual person, I have been doing very well with the "Body Media Fit". For me
    it's very helpful to know how many calories i have burned through the day. It keeps me accountable.
  • MarianneC93
    MarianneC93 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! If you feel great then keep it going! People knock it because in general, it is too little. But what works for some does NOT work for all! When I started I was eating less than 1,200 cals and I felt great. I'm 5ft 10 though so when I started feeling tired I thought hmm, time to up my calories, carry on eating well, and just fuel my body more.
    So what I would say to you is fantastic, keep up the phenomenal work, and stay tuned to your body. If your body feels like it needs more good food, you'll know. Well done on your success so far :)
  • beccib2
    beccib2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What everyone is saying is pretty much the point i was getting to.

What your doing is fine short term but long term not sustainable (which might be why you have failed in the past. If you can do it without surgery - go for it. Surgery holds many risks in itself, for something you are proving that you can do without it. It is also not a cure as without a proper diet, which you seem to be managing anyways. Surgery could severly alter your future so its a big decision. While this is working for you - great, keep it up, its just long term what you are eating is not going to satisfy your needs long term and when the weight loss plateaus you might think whats the point and give up all together.

If this time feels different, then maybe its because your head is in the right space for it this time and wasn't before. If it aint broke don't fix it, but its important to learn something that will be sustainable for you for the rest of your life.

Good Luck
  • ma_rivera
    ma_rivera Posts: 2
    Options
    I had Gastric By-Pass in 2004. I found that the nutritionists at the surgeon’s office take a VERY hard line on the prescribed diets that they have - because once you have the surgery there is nothing else beyond that. They want to have your commitment to them, so that they know you are committed to the process and to yourself.

Did I listen to them - NO. Did I gain weight after the 'honeymoon' was over - YES. Am I still struggling with losing my last 35 lbs. - YES. So, maybe they knew what they were talking about. I lost 20 lbs. before surgery, 148 lbs. from surgery in 11/2004 to 9/2005. I gained 67 lbs. over the following 5 years (the 'honeymoon' was over) and have worked very hard to get back to the weight I am now, still 10 lbs. away from my lowest weight after surgery. In hind sight, sticking with the doctors/nutritionists diet would have helped, but since I never really listened to them, I'm not surprised at the route I took. I am just glad that I am doing better.

I am once again going to Bariatric Support Group Meetings, I still cringe at some of the things I hear the staff tell the pre-op patients that I still do not follow - but I'm listening and incorporating these rules into my daily habits. I will be meeting with the nutritionist again next week, and hopefully I will find help there.

Good Luck with your journey.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I am certainly no expert but my brother has gone for a consultation and the surgeon explained to him the VLCD is necessary because once the surgery is complete he will have to eat very small portions for the rest of his life so it was kind of like a test run to see if he could handle the lifestyle change. It is a permanent decision. My brother couldn't do it. He also couldn't imagine all of the vitamins and supplements he would have had to take afterward to make sure he was getting the proper nutrition because he would not get it from food.

I have had to start eating more because I quit losing on a VLCD after about a month, my hair starting falling out, and I noticed some other issues. Lots of people will talk about this on this site. I am slowly adding calories back in, am now taking a good multi-vitamin, and am getting a lot of protein and things have turned around very quickly (in less that a week). But I am very active.

For now, I think you should follow the surgeon's advice because you are still thinking about the surgery. I wish you the best of luck in whatever decision you make. Just remember this is the internet and you will get a lot of opinions and arguments that go off on tangents.
  • eslonlineteacherguy
    eslonlineteacherguy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Agree with Jacksonpt, and pretty much everyone else. People experiment with diets or healthy ways of eating for awhile, then slam them thinking they're experts now. Do what you're comfortable doing, and listen to the Doc. Congrats on making a decision one way or the other. You're on your way down.

Happy Losing!
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I wonder, if you'd gone the route of bariatric surgery, how many calories you'd be likely to take in each day. In Google search results, I'm seeing between 300 per day and no more than 1,100 per day.
    This seems to indicate that your goal daily intakes are fairly similar to, and maybe even more than, what they would have been if you'd gone for the surgery.

If you are doing fine with that amount of calories per day...feeling good and losing weight, and you are doing it without having gone under the knife to get there, I'd say you are doing pretty great.

Edit: To add that I think you'll find that your goal calorie amounts will raise as you are decreasing in size and BF % and increasing your exercise. If you pay attention to what your body tells you, you'll know when the time is right to increase your daily intake.

I'm about 13 pounds from my goal now, after having lost 47 pounds. I'm thinking about increasing my daily intake goal by about a 100 calories, to bring it up to 1,500 net. I *do* eat back a lot of my exercise calories and still lose about 1 pound every 5 days or so, which has been a bit faster than I even planned for. :)
  • TinaLRoman
    TinaLRoman Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Listen to your docs, and the way you are feeling . Never mind what other people are saying. You will end up eating that low if you get the surgery anyway. I have a friend who did it, and he was barely able to eat much of anything after the surgery because he got full so fast. The main reason the surgery works is because it forces you to restrict calories. Something he could have done on his own, but didn't feel he had the discipline to do.

800 - 1000 calories is not something you have to maintain forever. It's not supposed to be "long term sustainable". It's meant to help you lose the weight you want to lose.

There's the way people eat to have gotten to where they are, there's the way they eat to lose weight, and then there's the way they eat to maintain the weight loss.

As you are losing weight, you will be able to gradually increase your caloric intake up to whatever maintenance would be for you.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I will also add this... just so that I can officially be on both sides of the fence.

While most of the people are probably slamming it with no good reason, there is merit to critical thinking. Doctors, and "experts" in any field for that matter, are still human. They still make mistakes. They are the experts, and they do know more than us (that's why we went to them for help in the first place, right)... but they still make mistakes. So if they make a recommendation that is completely off the wall, some follow-up questions might be warranted.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I wanted to throw a question out there. I am here obviously to lose weight and am a candidate for bariatric surgery. I haven't committed yet as I'm waiting to see how I progress but I have been following the recommended diet as explained to me by the nutritionist in the office I am being seen at. So why, if I'm following medical advice, do so many people go out of their way to slam my caloric intake? I try to stay between 800-1000 calories a day, 20 g carbs, 40 g fat and 80-100 g protein as directed. I don't "eat back" exercise calories and I don't feel hungry and the weight is coming off. You would think from some peoples reactions that I am initiating the apocalypse. So, constructive, intelligent responses only please, am I wrong? :noway:

Very Low Calorie Diets (VLCD) are not recommended for most people ***Unless Recommended By a Doctor***

For most people, it is not healthy, that is why you hear a lot of people commenting on it, however it is commonly recommended for those prior to bariatric surgery.
  • Foxtrot2N
    Foxtrot2N Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the input!! I have no expectation to do this long term but I came in with a goal loss of 220 lbs, almost 50% of my SW. I think you have all hit great points. Yes I am comfortable at these levels for now. No, I don't see this as a long term option. I know I will probably have to double this intake to maintain when I get to goal, and as Jacksonpt aptly pointed out, it's the internet, and trolls are everywhere. I really began to question myself because some detractors were so vehement against my plan but did still sound educated enough that their opinion stuck with me. After reading your posts I am going to stick with what is working for me and go from there. I may have to increase soon because my exercise is more regular and gaining in intensity. Any advice or tips anyone would care to share will always be welcome. Thanks again! :happy: