Is sitting the new smoking?

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Laugh about it if you want but there's been medical research on this for years. I'll trust the scientists and doctors.

Let me be clear about my stand on this. I think that we do sit too much and I think that the standing desks are an interesting idea and hell, I think I'd want to do it at home.

BUT....I would never equate smoking to sitting. To me, that's just exaggerating a valid point to an extent that it becomes ridiculous. Smoking is not like sitting and sitting is not like smoking. -.-

Yep, just as smoking is condemned, now resting will be treated the same way. People will be exhausting themselves because society, as a whole, will think it is wrong to sit down.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Wait. What? I'm con-fus-ed.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Comparing sitting to smoking is pure hyperbole, but it's true that sitting uninterrupted for long periods is not good for our health. Just getting up and walking around a little a few times an hour is much better.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I've read a very similar article in a different magazine. Yes, sitting all day is unhealthy. But you can overcome that by working out before and/or after work, or switching jobs! :)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Is this serious?

Yes, there's a big move to standing desks because sitting is really horrible for us in the quantities that our jobs demand

Well, who knew sitting down was the same as inhaling toxic and addictive substances. I thought sitting down was part of "life"...and smoking was a bad decision that you didn't need to start...but...okay.

LOL! Now that's a great point.
  • MarianneC93
    MarianneC93 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you sit at a desk all day at work, trade in your chair for an exercise ball. You'll be working your core all day!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    NO
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I read it. I was thankful that I have a job in which I am walking around all day. I teach and cannot figure out how to sit and teach.

The article did remind me though to get off my butt on days that I am not on work. I don't ask my kids to grab something for me as much as the extra "getting a few steps in".

The article does a good job of reminding us to move when we can. If you sit for 12 hours for work that is fine but if you can walk across the hall to ask a co worker a question instead of emailing the question, or if you can take a walk to the water cooler once every 45 mins etc that will be better.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    What about people who smoke while sitting down? They'll probably explode.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    Comparing sitting to smoking is pure hyperbole, but it's true that sitting uninterrupted for long periods is not good for our health. Just getting up and walking around a little a few times an hour is much better.

bingo :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Laugh about it if you want but there's been medical research on this for years. I'll trust the scientists and doctors.

k thanks.
    shock.gif
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Sitting=/= smoking. Obviously that was just a catchy title for the article or OP to get people interested.

It's really unfortunate that the OP did not include the article.

Standing stations may or may not alleviate the problems of sitting if the standing is meant to last for the hours and hours that sitting currently does at some workplaces. What is really needed is common sense and as has been said before "moderation" on both fronts.

Siesta's wouldn't hurt either. I know that's gonna get laughed out of the water but does anyone think the human body was meant for sitting OR standing in one spot for prolonged hours? It sure doesn't feel like it? Most people get antsy after a certain length of time and need a shift. It seems like attention span and creative freshness benefits from breaks as well. Sitting is necessary and OK. Standing is necessary and OK. Breaks are necessary and OK. Afternoon something may be in order just based on the sheer number of people who get nappish in the late afternoon. (it's also the hottest part of the day during summer who wants to be out working in that?).

IDK I just think if you shifted all the sitting for 12 hours job positions to standing for 12 hours you'd end up with a different set of problems perhaps prolonged standing injuries and body problems or something, IDK. Both would still contribute to "sedentary" lifestyle and not help people much. It's just doing 12 hours of anything doesn't seem really healthy. Even 12 hours of one of everyone's favorite thing seems like it could lead to problems. Like rash, and soreness. LOL.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Thank God I live in a backward country where all these shenanigans won't reach for another 50 or 100 years.
  • bricktowngal
    bricktowngal Posts: 206
    Options
    Do I need to start peeing standing up because my aim is awful?!

Oh, then you'll be doing squats!

There you go! Squats it is!! :laugh:
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Is this serious?

Yes, there's a big move to standing desks because sitting is really horrible for us in the quantities that our jobs demand

I want a standing desk soooooooooo badddddd!!!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Let me say...when I read the article I did not read it as Runner's World calling sitting an addiction or that it is as bad as smoking. I read it as questioning the new social out cry that sitting is the worst thing you can do for your health as if it were as bad as smoking. It seems a little tongue in cheek to me.
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to walk around a little every hour and as soon as I'm off work, I am on my feet until bed time. I am trying to avoid the secretary spread! ( )( )
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I read it. I was thankful that I have a job in which I am walking around all day. I teach and cannot figure out how to sit and teach.

The article did remind me though to get off my butt on days that I am not on work. I don't ask my kids to grab something for me as much as the extra "getting a few steps in".

The article does a good job of reminding us to move when we can. If you sit for 12 hours for work that is fine but if you can walk across the hall to ask a co worker a question instead of emailing the question, or if you can take a walk to the water cooler once every 45 mins etc that will be better.

Yeah. I think the concerns are aimed at positions where the worker does not have the freedom to get up so much. Think along the lines of telephone workers, data entry and the like. People who are somewhat "chained" to there desks. Don't get me wrong though I'm sure some people in the situations you described might also end up chaining themselves to the desk from pressure to meet deadlines or forming bad habits and then in some cases where unnecessary bosses might make a job with some freedom less free, but yeah I think it's when people for whatever reason end up stuck at that sitting for way too long.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Is this serious?

Well, who knew sitting down was the same as inhaling toxic and addictive substances. I thought sitting down was part of "life"...and smoking was a bad decision that you didn't need to start...but...okay.

LOL! Now that's a great point.

well personally i have smoked for 15 years (quit 5.5 years ago) and i've sat very often for 38 years now... i find neither are very good for you. I'd take a standing desk any day at work. I hate sitting 8 hours a day. I have to get up every 30 min to an hour - do stretches, walk around, something!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options