Adding Strength Training

Options
I need to add some strength training into my workout. I workout at home and all I have are some 5 lb. dumbells. I have tried the gym membership thing, and when life got crazy, I skipped the gym and did not go--do that was a big waste when I was not using it. I don't really have money to spend on a lot of equipment, and my coordination is not the greatest. With that being said, I am not using any of those as excuses. I know there has to be a good workout that I can do with my own body weight and those dumbells. Any ideas will be very appreciated. I do well with structured things, so the more structure in the program, the better for me.

The plan is to start off with 2 non-consecutive days a week and then later increase to 3 days. My goal for this is to bump up my metabolism and burn fat.

My workout now consists of 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week mostly from elliptical and occasionally the stationary bike. I really want to focus on my arms, since they are not getting any exercise to amount to anything at this point. Any ideas, recommendations / suggestions are appreciated!

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Honestly 5lb dumbbells are not going to be of any use for strength training. My advice would be if you can get an Olympic barbell and a few weight plates, you can do a lot. In the meantime, you can do at home Crossfit type/bodyweight only workouts, but those won't be strength training or muscle building in any way, however, they can help to burn fat.

As for your arms, things like pushups and pullups are examples of bodyweight exercises that can improve the muscle tone in the upper body.
  • jenjen828
    jenjen828 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas, but I am not really in good enough shape to do good push ups or pull ups since I am obese at this point and just beginning. I am not really looking at gaining muscle definition at this point,. I just need something to work what I am not working, and have heard strength training increases metabolism. Still need help.
  • luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I can't give you a lot of advice, since I'm just now looking into adding strength training, myself. But I'm like you- can't really add gym membership costs into my budget. I did just go to a Kettlebell basics class at a kettlebell and strength training studio, to get an idea of whether kettlebells are something that I would want to do and how to use them properly. Now, I was thinking about just buying a 5 lb. kettlebell, and boy, was I wrong! The trainer (also the owner) had me using a 26.4 lb. kettlebell, which I didn't know the weight of at the time because the label was rubbed off. I really impressed myself, and I'm way out of shape. I was really surprised at how various kettlebell exercises work so much more than your arms. For instance, my thighs were sore, my back, arms, neck... in a really good way, though! So, I ordered a DVD from Amazon (Sarah Lurie's Iron Core Kettlebell, which was recommended on another thread here and was a great deal with great customer reviews). And I'm going to go ahead and buy a 25 lb. kettlebell to work with. So anyway, just thought I'd throw that idea out there for you to explore.
  • jenjen828
    Options
    That sounds good. I could afford to buy a kettlebell, and I think that video would be great. Found a couple of dumbell workouts on you tubem and just with the motions I was doing, I have a good burn going. Will have to get that video from Amazon. Thanks!!
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This is a great site with plenty of bodyweight strength workouts: http://www.fitnessblender.com

Also check out this one: http://www.nerdfitness.com/workouts/

As far as a structured program goes, there's this: http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-Own-Gym/dp/0345528581 (used copies are available)

Chalean Extreme (a DVD program) is also a good choice. I got my copy used on Amazon (much cheaper).

As far as equipment goes, if you want to buy some equipment (dumbbells, a barbell, and some plates are a great choice), don't forget Craigslist, Goodwill, and Freecycle.

Good luck!
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    When I added strength training, 5lb weights and a resistance band were all I had, so don't let that discourage you! Especially at first it doesn't take a lot of weight to work your muscles, and using lighter weights is a better way to learn proper form and technique. (That's my opinion anyway!) Body weight exercises are good, too. You can always add more weights or equipment later as you can and as needed.

Try exercise.about.com for lots of info on strength training including beginner routines and equipment recommendations. I like this website as it's not necessarily geared toward the body building crowd. :smile:
  • jenjen828
    Options
    Found a fitness blender video today for upper body, and it was awesome. Thanks for the ideas. Will also check out those other sites as well. Right now, I am just trying to use what I have, and hopefully can add more soon. BTW, the goodwill idea is great. Will have to check out what they have before shopping at other stores. Thanks for the wonderful ideas. You guys ROCK!
  • yvonneseage
    yvonneseage Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I like bodylastics resistance bands for strength training. They are light and portable with a wide range of weight options
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I found a gym membership for 10 bucks a month. You either want to do it or not. You may not see muscle definition because of your body fat level, but you will get stronger. Eventually, as you cut the fat, you will see definition. You're going to need some weights to strength train. If you can't afford the weights (like myself), try to find a cheap gym, and just go. I find that when I prepare my gym bag the night before, I tend to go more often. I either go before or after work.

Powerblock makes some nice adjustable dumbbells should you want to buy some equipment for home. I can't afford them which is why I pay for a gym.

http://www.powerblock.com/#&panel1-1

Most importantly STAY DEDICATED to the cause. You have to have your mind focused that you want this more than you want to be lazy and not workout.
  • MissStatement
    MissStatement Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would also add buying a stability ball (can be had for under ten bucks at Walmart). There is a trove of bodyweight exercises that can be done using it, plus it can double as a weight bench. Just make sure you get the proper size for your height.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You can modify push-ups by doing them against a kitchen counter. Knee push-ups are another option, but the counter is easier. You can still get a decent amount of resistance there...especially if you are heavy (as I am).

Here's some info on form:

http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/counter-pushups-vs-knee-pushups-1620.html
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas, but I am not really in good enough shape to do good push ups or pull ups since I am obese at this point and just beginning. I am not really looking at gaining muscle definition at this point,. I just need something to work what I am not working, and have heard strength training increases metabolism. Still need help.

It starts with one. Honestly when I started to get down to do pushups I thought I was going to die since I hadn't done them in so long, but if you can do one today, you can do two tomorrow, pretty soon you'll be doing them easily, it's just a matter of getting down and doing it. As for weights, An Olympic bar is preferred, but to save money and space, just get a simple curl bar, they're about $30 new. Add a couple plates and as your strength increases you can buy more plates, if you spent $200 total, gradually over 3-4 months you'd end up with a fair amount of weights. Personally, I'd say to hit the gym, and just stick to it, there are days that I don't want to get out of bed and run, but I push myself, last night the gym didn't sound too appealing, but I hit the gym because what I see in the mirror doesn't appeal either. You just have to buckle down and do what needs doin, you're worth the effort.

Rigger

Rigger
  • jenjen828
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am thinking of getting some weight training equipment as I go, and as I can afford it. I am really motivated, but the gym memberships where I live are like 400 a year and up, and that money is just not in the budget. I also know that requires me to get somewhat presentable to be out in public, and if I can do it at home, I can throw my hair up with a ponytail and put a bandana around my head and I am good.

I do have resistance bands, and will probably take those with me on vacation in a few weeks. I work at a high school, so it is highly likely that if I talk to some of the coaches, I can do a weight machine workout 3 days a week after school, and still make it home in time to get in a good cardio before my husband gets home from work.

I am really just trying to wipe out all of my excuses and just make this as accessible to myself as possible. I am determined and this is going to happen. Thanks for all of the ideas.
  • luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You really got some great low-budget ideas (thanks for posting this thread-- it's helpful to me, as well)! I agree, that you should pick something and stick with it for as long as possible. At some point, if you're anything like me, boredom will set in, and you can try something else. What I am liking about this is that you can do a lot of different things and create your own weekly routine to keep things fresh. Just don't give up completely-- there's something out there that you will enjoy if you stay open-minded and committed. What a great idea to check with the coaches at your school about using the equipment! And please try not to be ashamed of how you look while working out. If you are going to get looks, it's more likely to be from people who are admiring how much courage and determination you have to be getting on this path!

Also-- just wanted to mention that Fitness Blender (on youtube) also has a great beginner's kettleball video.
  • Wildflowers70
    Wildflowers70 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I too am wanting to add strength training, currently I am in the middle of a move and so I have not set up my home gym. A gym membership is out for me since I live in rural-nowhere. I have bought a book called "Women's Home Workout Bible" by Brad Schoenfeld. Your library might have a copy or can get it on interlibrary loan for you if you don't want to buy it. Basically he gives different budget levels and give you the best suggestions of what to purchase first. Then he give you workouts using that equipment. I plan on starting my home gym using his recommendations once we get moved to our new place. For the under $100 he suggests resistance bands, chinup bar and stability ball and leg weights. So a lot of the strength exercises he suggests use resistance and body weight. The next step uo in budget comes a bench and free-weights (dumbells/barbells) and he has great suggestions for what to look for and then exercises that use that equipment.

He doesn't mention kettlebells in this book- but that definitely intrigues me from the earlier posts. I may wind up choosing to try one of those too.

Best of luck to you!