How much of your diet is from NATIVE foods?

Options
2»

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    If by 'native' you mean 'raised on a farm close to me' then.....50%?
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I live in Central Florida. "Native" is alligator, bluegill, maybe some bass, snakes, mosquitos, love bugs, dove, the occasional road kill armadillo...

I'd say 10%

I am from the west coast of Florida, and if this is what is native, than 0%. I have no idea what is native to DC now.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Hmm, pecans, TX red grapefruit, sweet onion, sugar beets, cherries. According to Wikipedia. I eat cherries and sweet onions.

Now, food chains originating in TX include Bush's Chicken, Dairy Queen, Rudy's BBQ, Texas Roadhouse,Whataburger , 7-11, and Whole Foods. lol there are more, I have only lived here 6 years and these are the ones I know of., TX likes to eat.

So, depends upon what kind of 'native food' you are referring to.
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Mmm pickerel, berries, bison. Nom nom nom.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I live in California, so I can pretty much eat 100% local.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I live in a freakin desert. The only native food we got here is sand and oil...

Same here. Uh...cactus fruit and lizard? Lol!
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I live in northern Thailand, so I'd say that probably about 95% of what I eat is native to this area, and seasonal too. You *can* buy imported foods here but why bother when the local food is amazing?! Besides, imported food is horribly expensive. :happy:
  • klp1017
    klp1017 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm from New Jersey. Does pizza and pork roll count?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    ...to where you live?

Locally grown does NOT necessarily mean native, so keep that in mind.

Personally, very little of mine. Even most of the fish I clean and eat are imported strains of native fish.

A few pecans and dewberries for me otherwise. Even most of the local pecans are varieties imported from the SE here.
    I'm in Cali. Practically all of it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but I'm not horribly concerned. The "locavore" and "100 mile diet" can mean scurvy for some folks or iron deficiency for others, if you get really technical about it.

I live near Seattle, so I get a lot of Alaskan and Pacific seafood which is more than 100 miles.
    Major dairy farms (where the cows are) are over 100 miles away in central Washington, but I love Tillamook and Darigold
    Wheat doesn't grow well at all over on this side of the mountains, plus my family owns a wheat farm in Oregon (non-GMO! :devil: ), still gonna eat bread and bake.
    My hometown has over 100 wineries and is 250 miles away, so I like to support my hometown.

I lived in North Carolina for a bit, and was so excited to find a bag of french fries from the plant in Weston, Oregon. I bought it and went home to call my mom, I was so excited to see something and taste something that was "familiar".

The US is pretty large, and not all things can be grown/raised/made everywhere so I'm cool with whatever as long as I can pronounce most of the ingredients ;)
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...hazelnuts and cob nuts. Rose hips. Some red deer meat and wild boar (although the latter are technically a reintroduction). Scallops, mussels, whelks, oysters and cockles. Crabs, brown shrimp, dublin bay prawns. Oh yes, mallard and partridge, too.

Aaaaaand...elderberries, blackberries, raspberries, gooseberries, strawberries. I've also had the bletted fruit of some varieties of Sorbus trees.

I'm in England, btw.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I find this an interesting topic, but I'm having difficulty understanding the perimeters.

My main question would be, how far does something need to date back to an area historically to be considered "native?"
    For instance, all the numerous foods that were not present in North America, but became prevalent and hearty (some even self-sustaining) after colonization (chickens and some types of grapes are a great example). Cherries, many melons, and oranges were also introduced to us hundreds of years ago but grow naturally and proficiently here now. Going back further in history, even the bison migrated to the Americas.On the flip side, many species that used to be present here in Ohio have slowly migrated north for cooler temperatures and are no longer native.

I would love to learn more about this topic of food origin and migration to better understand what is considered "native." I fear that it might have been bastardized into a media buzzword used for marketing.
    Now I have to go NatGeo browsing for information...

I can with certainty though say that about 80-90% of my food is at least local if not native. We do the majority of our own vegetable gardening. We purchase eggs from the neighbor, trade fruits and wild game with a friend, buy meat from local processors, and buy a good portion of food from the Farmer's Market.