Help...My doctor wants me to go gluten free???

Options
KAR1959
KAR1959 Posts: 4,236 Member
At my doctors appointment today, he suggested I go gluten free. He said I have gluten sensitivity or gluten intolerance. Please give me suggestions on where to start? Where can I find information or any books you would suggest to get more information. Is there a "Gluten Free for dummies?" I'm feeling overwhelmed! Thanks in advance.:smile:

Replies

• LouiseOverbeck
    Options
    There are lots of books on gluten intolerance. There are also cookbooks on how to cook gluten free.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Gluten free is pretty easy if you are eating whole foods and cooking your own meals.

Most processed food has wheat in it somewhere and thus gluten, so I would try to avoid those. Also bread and pasta are going to have to go.

If you are looking for a group to turn to for ideas and stuff I would suggest looking into paleo as all paleo recipes are going to be gluten free.
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You could start here:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gluten-free-diet/my01140

Did your doctor give you a diagnosis of coeliac disease? It's important to know this since you'll have to be a bit more strict about avoiding gluten if you're actually coeliac.

See here: http://www.coeliac.org.uk/gluten-free-diet-lifestyle
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Not much experience, but Chex cereal has a lot of gluten free options.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Tinkyada brown rice pasta is usually one of the cheapest GF pastas and it's easy to work with.
    I use corn tortillas a lot to make quesadillas instead of sandwiches with bread.
    GF breads are expensive and high in sodium. I like the Udi's brand best, though.
    Get some tamari to use in place of soy sauce and you can make fried rice or other Asian dishes.

Just a few tips that might help you adjust. :-)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    How bad is it? I mean, if I had some sort of gluten intolerance but it was just uncomfortable as opposed to deadly, I would just ignore it. If it was deadly, I guess I would stop eating gluten.
  • cawoods1
    cawoods1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi girl, Dont be overwhelmed. :flowerforyou:

I have been considering going gluten free for awhile. If the physician is recommending this for improving your health it might be a good thing...not sure why he is saying this. However for me I know that I am having senstivity to certain foods that if I go on a gluten free diet I might resolve some of those issues. Nonetheless hang in there you will be okay.

There is a lot of good sites and lots of information available to steer you in the right direction.

Here are some online sites:

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/gluten-free-diet-plan

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2009/04/gluten-free-cheat-sheet-how-to-go-g.html

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/04/12/gluten.free.diet.improve/index.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/08/gluten-free-should-shouldnt_n_3561641.html

Being gluten sensitive:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-gluten-free-diet

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/celiac-disease/features/gluten-intolerance-against-grain
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I started to eat gluten-free about 2 weeks ago and actually it's pretty easy. There are a ton of resources on the internet that will teach you what has gluten in it and what doesn't. I find it easier to stay away from the gluten-free isle and eat fruits, veggies, meat, dairy, eggs, and Chex Cereal. I've tried the gluten free pasta options and I don't like their taste, I'd rather not eat it. Rice and Quinoa are good gluten-free grain options. Feel free to check out my diary for some ideas (only go back to Thursday June 27th).

My saving graces are corn tortillas, Chex Cereal, and gluten-free oatmeal. Everything else I can honestly say I don't miss. Except pizza. I have yet to find a good Gluten-free pizza crust...
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Celiacs runs in my family (not me yet ... I'm not going there until absolutely necessary) ... but I have to say there is SO much more information and options now than there were 5-10 years ago. Going gluten-free has become a trend with many, but at least this has made it a BIT easier for those who don't actually have a choice.

Just Google it ... you will find more information than you could possibly read. Many articles aimed at those who are just starting. Join a support group or two. Gluten is hiding in SO many things, you will be surprised (BBQ sauce to shampoo!). But you'll also be surprised to see how many GF options there are, how many products have "Gluten-Free" on their labels, how many restaurants have a gluten-free menu.

Good luck!
  • michcor
    michcor Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    How bad is it? I mean, if I had some sort of gluten intolerance but it was just uncomfortable as opposed to deadly, I would just ignore it. If it was deadly, I guess I would stop eating gluten.

This.
  • Jessandhannahsmom
    Options
    About 2 weeks ago my husband & I decided to go grain (and most dairy) free, and gave up all processed foods-basically we're doing the Paleo diet. I won't say I don't miss grains at all, but I'm really surprised how little I miss them, and I can honestly say I am feeling better overall. I have an auto-immune disorder, trouble sleeping and lots of nasal congestion, and all of those things have begun to improve. And, I've lost 2 pounds! :). I don't know how grain-heavy your current diet is, but I bet you'll notice a change within just a couple of weeks. Check out this site: www.perfecthealthdiet.com (there's also a book) and www.elanaspantry.com. Both of those sites have been really helpful to us in trying to decide what we are/are not going to eat. The Practical Paleo
    Book by Diane Sanfilippo has also given us tons of info and tips. If you're afraid of never eating baked goods again, don't be. There are tons of good recipes out there using Almond flour (Honeyville Farms is a bit pricey but it's really the best), tapioca flour, etc. thedomesticman.com has a great recipe for pizza crust! Good luck...you can do this! :)
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,236 Member
    Options
    No it's not celiac disease and not a deadly gluten intolerance. So I guess I will calm down and start reading. Thank you all for the information.
  • JustJessLynn
    Options
    Easy stuff! I do gluten-free cleanses a few times a year. Arbonne makes a good 30 day "get-fit kit" that inspires a gluten free diet and they share a lot of great recipes. You can sub baking with regular flour and use brown rice flour or almond flour, both are tasty once you get the levels figured out. Just about every restaurant offers a gluten free menu.

KIND makes an AMAZING gluten free protein bar. I think all of their products are gluten free. You'll be surprised at everything that you can have with a gluten intolerance. There is a substitute for everything.
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    No it's not celiac disease and not a deadly gluten intolerance. So I guess I will calm down and start reading. Thank you all for the information.

That's good to hear! Good luck with it - once you have some sources of information I'm sure you'll do fine.
  • amieleighmac84
    amieleighmac84 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me and look through my diary. I also eat gluten free! The hardest part for me was snacks (besides fruit) so I eat gluten free pretzels and hummus. Delish!
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

That's good it's not celiac :) I'm not gluten free but know a few people with celiac and they have to be very strict with it! Nowadays I feel like every grocery store has a gluten-free section in it and brands are getting much better with labeling! You can try rice pastas - they're not bad, but they cook a little differently. Also, rice & quinoa are gluten free. Corn tacos/chips/tortillas - they taste a little different but it's better than nothing! Depending on how sensitive you are - eating out can be tricky. A lot of restaurants might add flour to things you might not expect so you'll have to ask about everything!

Dominos has a gluten free pizza :P I tried it when it came out and loved it! (thin crust and lots of cheese... mmmm).
  • sunshineanstars
    Options
    Bump
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Start with the following cuisines: Mexican, Thai, Indian (minus the nann). You'll be pretty set.
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac's Disease and I have been gluten free for almost two years now.

First off... be careful of gluten free substitutes bread and pasta.... they are usually much more calorie dense than the real stuff.

Gluten fee is not that bad... really. It forces you to eat healthier. There are gluten free groups here on MFP that are great resources.

Good luck!