exasperated by belly fat.

Options
It's a constant battle that I feel like I will never win. I have been exercising and watching my calories for YEARS and still have a belly
I am 115 lbs and still have a belly.
I'm gluten free. Yep. Still have a belly.
I don't drink sugar and have a high protein diet. STILL there!

What gives?

I know it's probably just the way I'm built. I'm 5'0" and have a very short waist. Why can't I just be happy that I am in shape and basically at my goal weight? I'm so self conscious about it, and I really want to get over it.

How can I change my thought process? HALP!

Replies

• mwiechel
    mwiechel Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Do you strength train? The best way I know of to burn fat is to build muscle and eat clean, whole foods.
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, in high school, I was 120 and I still had a "pregnant" belly fat. But if you exercise and strength train, your stomach will get smaller. It'll be awhile before it disappears completely, but you just have to really work at it. You can't spot reduce, but you should do more strength training.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Having belly fat all comes down to your body fat percentage. Sounds like you are genetically programmed to carry extra weight there and until you reduce your body fat percentage, it won't go away - no matter how clean, gluten free, or restrictive your diet is.

Try incorporating some compound lifting/strength training into your regimen. It will help you reduce your body fat and get rid of that belly.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Lift. Buy and read New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Big, heavy compound lifts and HIIT....releases Testosterone and HGH which thrive on belly fat. Steady state cardio and diet aren't going to do it alone.
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention, I do BodyPump as well. I love it!
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Could it be self perception? Women naturally carry some fat there, but everyone wants to be totally flat and rock hard... You are right about accepting that you are in shape and be happy, but we are human and set new goals and see new ways to improve ourselves all the time. Just be sure your goal is attainable and realistic.
  • renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I would say to just stick to body pump or some other type of lifting. It will eventually go away if you keep your diet right and strength train. Also, I'm assuming Body Pump is a class that you go to maybe once or twice a week? Do you do any strength training the other days? I would def suggest lifting 4-5 days a week to get your results faster.

If my memory serves me, you've been doing body pump for a few months now. I'm not that familiar with the program, but I believe it is pretty fast paced, low weight/high rep. Maybe try switching to another program. As someone above mentioned.....New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great starting point for heavy lifting. You may not burn as many calories in a session, but I think you'll see faster results in body recomposition. Just a thought
  • Zenjaeie
    Zenjaeie Posts: 95
    Options
    I have this SAME problem :(