Cutting out the meat

Options

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    While I don't eat a ton of red meat I can't see why I would cut it completely out of my diet. I eat a fair amount of chicken and pork though and again I don't see any reason to cut it out of my diet.

Have you ever thought of maybe getting yourself some farm raised beef that *might* be killed in a slightly more humane way? You know, the kind of beef that you see grazing in fields, romping and playing and having the freedom to be a cow and not the mass produced stuff where you don't know what's being put in them?

I am currently on a search for some good, farm raised, grass fed beef and (if I remember) I am going to head to my local farmers market tomorrow to talk to a couple of the farms that are represented there. It'll be a bit more expensive but I am trying to get away from the grocery products.

BUT if not then I really have nothing to offer you in the way of cutting out the meat. :laugh:

I live near El Paso, TX, not many places to get grass fed beef around here lol!!! I think going vegetarian is easier :)

LOL. Well, in that case it probably is! Good luck! :)
  • nhmommy
    nhmommy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you look at some of Dr. Furhman's materials (Eat to Live) you may find a good, flexible balance for your lifestyle. I do understand what you are saying regarding moving to a plant-based diet and seeing and feeling a notable difference. I don't think the changes happening for me are solely related to what I put in my body. The primary source of being healthy, for me, is connected to my emotional, mental, and spiritual maturity in this area. However, putting in nutrient dense food is helping my body heal and be stronger than it ever has before.

Not everything works for everyone. Finding what is best for you is gold. :)
  • AprilMae1975
    AprilMae1975 Posts: 726
    Options
    I like the meat!
    Human's have been eating it since the beginning of time, so there can't be anything wrong with it.

But best to luck to you on not eating it

I honestly love meat too, I just don't like the way we have to get our meat. I had never thought of the whole process before and when I was made aware of things it just made me really sad. Thanks for the support even if it's not what you choose :) I respect everyone's choices :)

If you are interested in some more resources to reinforce your trek

read Eating Animals, and watch Earthlings (you can watch it online for free)

Thank you :) From the little I saw in Vegucated I felt like getting sick and I even cried....I might have to watch a little at a time.
  • Yarrowdays
    Yarrowdays Posts: 19
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for over two years, and a year ago I switched to a vegan diet. I love cooking, so I've found plenty of vegan recipes that I make all the time. If you'd like the links to some of them, or would like to hear about the books I've read that taught me about being a vegan, then send me a friend request and I'll shoot you a message :)

On the topic of you feeling better not eating meat, that's great! I'm glad it's effected you positively. You may go through some detoxing, depending on how far you go with this, so if you start to suddenly break out or have other mild side effects, that could be why.
    Also when I first went vegan, I was STARVING, all the time. Your body gets used to a certain type of food, and so when you cut that out and change your diet, most of the time you get really hungry. That happened to be for about...the first three weeks? And then it evened out again and now I easily get full on my diet :) I pretty much eat as much as I want (being careful with nuts, dried fruit, oil, soy products, and processed carbs), and I've dropped down from 136 pounds, to 113 pounds over the course of a year.

As for what people are saying about B12, they're right. It is harder to get it on a vegan diet. A supplement is a good idea (I take a liquid), or adding the nutritional yeast into your food. I use it all the time, and it tastes great.
    Here is an article on B12 that will help explain it in greater detail:
    http://drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/nov/b12.htm

Good luck with your endeavors :)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Adini,

this was one of the best responses. "I eat meat, but here's some great resources for you."

:flowerforyou:

tumblr_lt8uehGC5p1qju9ado1_500.gif
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Hi OP :)

When I was 18 I decided to go vegetarian, and ultimately became vegan for 8 years. It wasn't difficult, and I didn't do it for health or animal rights. I just didn't desire it.

Fast forward to me dating and trying to impress my now husband by preparing a steak I marinated for 4 days and wrapped in bacon then grilled it. It smelled divine. I had to have a bite. I've been eating meat ever since- and there just isn't s substitute for bacon.

My point is this- everyone is going to have reasons to yay or nay eating meat. But if you want it- don't deprive yourself of it for any reason other than perhaps not being in the mood for it.

You will lose weight at a caloric deficit whether you eat meat or not.

Good luck!
  • UrbanHerbivore
    Options
    I'm on that journey now. Ive gone vegan before but slipped. if you have any questions or tips message me!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I've tried vegetarian weeks in the past and it's always upset my gut, to the point of intense pain. Maybe I didn't ease into it properly, but pain isn't a great motivator for me.

Best of luck to you. I'm always impressed with the vegetarian lifestyle (if that's what you call it), because I don't have what it takes to do it.

I'm confused why this would happen. Maybe you started replacing the portion of your eating that used to be meat with things that didn't mix well with you? like if you used gluten based "vegetarian meats" and you have a gluten allergy, that would explain it.

I guess it is more tricky than I recognize anymore because I have done it so long. So I'm just going to write down some of the meals I eat:

quiche
    yogurt
    pancakes
    pad thai with tofu (actually, also include in this spring rolls, thai iced tea, and pad see ew)
    egg sammiches
    souther style collards with black beans and corn bread and tempeh slices (tempeh is like tofu but easier to digest)
    tofu scramble (literally tofu + salsa heated up, with nutritional yeast added after it's cool- Pro-tip: sprouted tofu>regular tofu for digestion)
    PBJ's
    Boca burgers with yam fries
    Saag, naan, daal, with saffroned rice- basically indian food
    Ethiopian food - gomen, injera, miser wot-- this may be hard in texas! lOL
    mashed potatoes with black beans and grilled tempeh
    nachos
    burritos
    bean soft tacos
    bean and cheese tamales
    bean and potato enchiladas
    African peanut yam stew (http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/02/25/african-peanut-potato-stew/)
    pizza, pasta, ravioli, garlic bread, mozzarella cheese sticks
    Meat subsittutes: tofurky, Morningstar buffalo wings, seitan (this is heavy in the gluten), gimme lean sausage
    snacks: well, most of these are vegetarian- red hot blues tortilla chips, fruit, veggie bootie
    steamed vegetables with goddess dressing (this is a great side dish)
    salads with feta cheese (the feta is KEY!)-- "Grande Parisian Salad"
    grilled marinated veggies (use the bbq!)
    bbq'd tempeh on the grill
    portabella pizzas

Typing this made me hungry.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    oh man I forgot a great one:

Pho!!!!
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    Hi OP :)

When I was 18 I decided to go vegetarian, and ultimately became vegan for 8 years. It wasn't difficult, and I didn't do it for health or animal rights. I just didn't desire it.

Fast forward to me dating and trying to impress my now husband by preparing a steak I marinated for 4 days and wrapped in bacon then grilled it. It smelled divine. I had to have a bite. I've been eating meat ever since- and there just isn't s substitute for bacon.

My point is this- everyone is going to have reasons to yay or nay eating meat. But if you want it- don't deprive yourself of it for any reason other than perhaps not being in the mood for it.

You will lose weight at a caloric deficit whether you eat meat or not.

Good luck!

Bacon....I am still trying to figure out how I am going to live without it!! I am actually going to do this because of the animals, the health benefits will be a plus.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I've tried vegetarian weeks in the past and it's always upset my gut, to the point of intense pain. Maybe I didn't ease into it properly, but pain isn't a great motivator for me.

Best of luck to you. I'm always impressed with the vegetarian lifestyle (if that's what you call it), because I don't have what it takes to do it.

I'm confused why this would happen. Maybe you started replacing the portion of your eating that used to be meat with things that didn't mix well with you? like if you used gluten based "vegetarian meats" and you have a gluten allergy, that would explain it.

Switching to a vegan diet can dramatically increase fiber intake. Initial results of bloating and off-gassing are very common (and go away after a little bit).

Most big dietary changes have short term negative consequences as the body adjusts.
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    hippies aka veggies and vegans always look sickly to me. Pale and are constantly having health issues. Plus they tend to grow this gland that randomly sprouts out to everyone they talk to that they are a veggie.

person a: man, my car broke down
    veggie: that sucks. im e a vegetarian

person b: so my dog died
    veggie: well thats said. i wouldnt eat him anyways cuase im a veggie

person a is sleeping very soundly
    veggie: *tap tap* hey, im a vegetarian. nite nite
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I still need to do a lot more research, but my decision is to give it at least 30 days. What I can say is that I feel better than I have felt in a very long time and I can only contribute it to not eating meat.

Placebo effect.

Or not.

Just throwing it out there.

That up there. But either way you're feeling better, so I guess it doesn't matter what's causing it (placebo effect or actually not eating meat)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    ..........People make it seem like if you don't get meat that you are going to die....I don't get that lol!!................

There are a lot of people who give up meat thinking that giving up meat itself is being healthy. There's nothing inherently "unhealthy" about meat and as has been stated, there are any number of nutrients that you have to go find now. Most people don't care about whether you eat meat or not. Most veterans on this site are pretty dedicated to overall nutrition and fitness...so if you're cutting meat, a lot of folks will want to make sure you're making up for that nutrition and not just cutting meat because you think it's "bad."

My wife has a girlfriend who is vegetarian and thinks she's all healthy....but she'll sit there and stuff her face with french fries while we're eating our chicken and vegetables...and then tell us how bad that chicken is for us...whatevs...
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I developed an aversion to meat about a month ago, and I've started the transition to lacto-vegitarian, but trying to keep the dairy to a minimum as well.

The amount of cholesterol I was consuming before was always hitting the limit and going over, now it's minimal, it has also dropped my sodium intake and my fats intake as well.

I do take a b12 supplement. I'm hitting a wall right now where I'm having a lot more sugar cravings so I'm trying to ride it out and get a boost to my protein intake via nuts etc to slow the sugar cravings, I think it's just a transition and my body and my brain are not sure what to do.

I'm currently looking for more vegetarian recipes,

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/cooking_school/101_vegetarian_recipes_3.php
  • AprilMae1975
    Options

I guess it is more tricky than I recognize anymore because I have done it so long. So I'm just going to write down some of the meals I eat:

quiche
    yogurt
    pancakes
    pad thai with tofu (actually, also include in this spring rolls, thai iced tea, and pad see ew)
    egg sammiches
    souther style collards with black beans and corn bread and tempeh slices (tempeh is like tofu but easier to digest)
    tofu scramble (literally tofu + salsa heated up, with nutritional yeast added after it's cool- Pro-tip: sprouted tofu>regular tofu for digestion)
    PBJ's
    Boca burgers with yam fries
    Saag, naan, daal, with saffroned rice- basically indian food
    Ethiopian food - gomen, injera, miser wot-- this may be hard in texas! lOL
    mashed potatoes with black beans and grilled tempeh
    nachos
    burritos
    bean soft tacos
    bean and cheese tamales
    bean and potato enchiladas
    African peanut yam stew (http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/02/25/african-peanut-potato-stew/)
    pizza, pasta, ravioli, garlic bread, mozzarella cheese sticks
    Meat subsittutes: tofurky, Morningstar buffalo wings, seitan (this is heavy in the gluten), gimme lean sausage
    snacks: well, most of these are vegetarian- red hot blues tortilla chips, fruit, veggie bootie
    steamed vegetables with goddess dressing (this is a great side dish)
    salads with feta cheese (the feta is KEY!)-- "Grande Parisian Salad"
    grilled marinated veggies (use the bbq!)
    bbq'd tempeh on the grill
    portabella pizzas

Typing this made me hungry.

I :heart: you!!! You totally just made my day with all these ideas!!!
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Idk how long you'll go or if you'll keep it going but more power to ya for dedicating yourself. :)

I was a semi 'vegan' in my younger years for about a 3 week period. A lifestyle I grew up on
    raised grass feed beef, fish and all other normal American meat substances. So meat 'was'
    a huge part of my life .. fast fwd ..
    I joined MFP and
    have learned I can't digest beef, especially in steak format. So I quit red meat w/exception
    of my once in awhile Red Robin. All I eat now is chicken, turkey, fish and occasional pork. I've
    done pretty good this way. If you find you just need meat .. go for the lean/white options .. cals/fat
    in them is generally better on a caloric budget.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I like the meat!
    Human's have been eating it since the beginning of time, so there can't be anything wrong with it.

But best to luck to you on not eating it

this is not logical. Humans do a lot of stupid things since the beginning of time. Just because something is historic does not make it flawless. There are tons of studies that show vegetarian lifestyles are by far healthier (less chronic disease, less acute conditions, less general sickness, etc.)

Okay since you like movies, you should try this one out http://www.perfecthumandiet.us/

http://www.perfecthumandiet.us/
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options

Switching to a vegan diet can dramatically increase fiber intake. Initial results of bloating and off-gassing are very common (and go away after a little bit).

Most big dietary changes have short term negative consequences as the body adjusts.

Probably this. I chose beans as my primary protein intake, which also meant increased fiber. I had some other medical issues a few years ago and some doctors recommended taking out meat to try and solve it. Didn't work, just hurt like hell. I'm not a fan of pain.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    hippies aka veggies and vegans always look sickly to me. Pale and are constantly having health issues. Plus they tend to grow this gland that randomly sprouts out to everyone they talk to that they are a veggie.

person a: man, my car broke down
    veggie: that sucks. im e a vegetarian

person b: so my dog died
    veggie: well thats said. i wouldnt eat him anyways cuase im a veggie

person a is sleeping very soundly
    veggie: *tap tap* hey, im a vegetarian. nite nite

:laugh: That made me laugh.