Do you ever...or am I CRAZY

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    OH heck yeah! I brush my teeth when ever I'm having a craving for sweets so that I stay away from them. I also brush them after dinner to help me not eat after a certain time.

Wait what? Is there a new oreo flavored toothpaste I don't know about?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the teeth brushing if it works for you go for it, but here is some useful info about eating right.

I highly recommend you read them if you are confused about eating your exercise cals burnt

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

This crossed my mind, too.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    haven't done that one but I will fill my cup of with crushed ice and munch on crushed ice chips for the last couple hrs before I go to bed cuz it feels like I am eating something and seems to work some days.
  • RetroSnowflake
    Options
    I do that sometimes but I actually like eating something with fresh clean teeth. People say orange juice just after cleaning your teeth is gross but I love it.
  • Siegel15
    Siegel15 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I find if I eat back calories burned I do NOT lose any weight. If, however, I am in a stall, I will one day EAT BACK burned calories and this has unstuck me stall. When I get to an ideal weight, I will happily eat back all burned calories plus more.
  • muaylex
    muaylex Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do that recently...it does help
  • Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time! I have invisalign so after I eat I have to brush my teeth and put my trays back in. It helps so much with the late night snacking I used to do. I brush my teeth about 6 times a day!
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Nope...If I'm hungry (actually hungry) I eat! If I'm not, I don't! I brush my teeth when I'm going to bed at night, well, because I'm done with my day!

If you are actually hungry (like feeling hunger pains) or are under your macros for the day, you should eat!

If you're just trying to not snack...I say do whatever works for you! I sometimes drink water or chew gum or go for a run :)
  • UtahSlim
    UtahSlim Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have come to find out that it really works. You are not the only one and you are not crazy!
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    That is a good idea...
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    The whole eat back calories confuses me. Why burn them to eat them back? I try not to do that.

I will never understand why people do this.

People trust this highly successful website with many highly successful members to tell them how much they should eat, how their macros should look, the calorie count of almost every food out there, but when it tells you to eat back your exercise calories, ppffttt, it's a conspiracy to make me gain weight!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    No, I don't need to brush my teeth to stop myself from eating.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I have a bad habit of not brushing my teeth, I have vampire teeth though so I'm more predator looking anyways so dragon breath kinda suits me

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    The whole eat back calories confuses me. Why burn them to eat them back? I try not to do that.

You should really try to eat the majority of your calories back.
  • danivee33
    danivee33 Posts: 33
    Options
    My mom does this. Brushing my teeth won't stop me from eating if I want to eat, I'll just brush again.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options

People trust this highly successful website with many highly successful members to tell them how much they should eat, how their macros should look, the calorie count of almost every food out there, but when it tells you to eat back your exercise calories, ppffttt, it's a conspiracy to make me gain weight!

Exactly!!
  • LilBritGettinFit
    LilBritGettinFit Posts: 106 Member
    Options

^^^ this. Lets be friends :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Once again...you calorie GOAL has a weight loss deficit built in...it is NET of exercise as this is a NEAT method calculator. When you set up your activity level you are NOT supposed to include exercise calories with a NEAT method calculator...thus, exercise becomes extra activity to be fueled. If you exercise your *kitten* off you're making an already substantial deficit even bigger which can lead to other problems down the road.

You need to understand the tool you are using...do you drive screws with a hammer? Of course not..you wouldn't be utilizing that tool properly would you...same goes here...basically you do not understand this tool and likely you do not understand the science of thermodynamics at all. Here's how it breaks down as simple as I can make it....

BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate), NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), TEF (Thermic Effect of Food, and EAT (Exercise Activity Thermogenesis).

BMR + NEAT + TEF + EAT = TDEE...where your TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure. With MFP, they leave your EAT out of the equation....

So you have BMR + NEAT + TEF - X calories for weight loss = MFP calorie GOAL. MFP excludes EAT because if you're new to exercise you're likely inconsistent...and that's ok because with MFP you aren't punished by not exercising...you just eat to that calorie goal and you lose weight.

Now...when you exercise you're adding a whole other aspect into the equation...your EAT...it is unaccounted for with your MFP goal...You have to eat your EAT back with MFP to avoid too large a calorie deficit. This will also teach you how to properly fuel your training activities when you get to maintenance. You don't just workout for calorie burn...everyone starts out that way, but ultimately, those that are serious and really make a lifestyle out of fitness end up having independent fitness goals...and those goals require fuel...you don't do Ironman or Marathon, etc without properly fueling your engine.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Exactly!!

Wait...in one post you correctly advocate eating back most of your exercise calories....then you agree with this post. I'm confused.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

^^^ this. Lets be friends :)

Ignoramus...go drive screws with your hammer...