does anyone have an obsession with weighing themselves every

Options

Replies

• caroeden
    Options
    yep - every day. i get off track if i don't.
  • caroeden
    Options
    yep - every day. i get off track if i don't.
  • sgssmile
    Options
    Of course, is there any other way?????:blushing:
  • ToadallyHIS
    Options
    oh my gosh, i'm trying NOT to do this, every time i've tried to lose weight i've OBSESSED over the scale, i started fresh monday, weighed myself Monday, tuesday and Wednesday. So as you can see I'm NOT trying very hard. I wish i could make myself not do it, because i fluctuate so much that it frustrates me on my "weigh in" if it's not as good as it was another day earlier in the week.
  • iowabelle
    Options
    I had to throw my scale out, I was weighing myself all the time... but then I've gained an enormous amount of weight since the scale went. I guess you're better off weighing once a week and hiding the scale the rest of the time.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with it. I think you have a far better idea of how your body works if you see the daily fluctuations. Some people just don't 'get' the water weight. If you weigh every day, you can assess what you did the day before, then you start to get it.

Getting it means you dont' worry if you dont lose for a week or two. Or if you put on a pound or three. You know that its just water and will come off again.

Like some others have said, when I stop weighing, I start to put on weight.

You gotta go with what works for you

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • TrenaBleyaert
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning before exercising. This helps me to know how much I should drink to replenish for hydration. I think it is a great way to make sure weight stays at a decent number.
  • solrak1969
    solrak1969 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Guilty as charged! Twice a day. It lets me know where I'm at.
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    good to know i'm not alone!! i've been reading & alot of sights say not to because of the fluctuations but oh well....it does keep me accountable, but hey the weight is still on...yikes!
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yes. I just looove seeing that weight come off! That being said, it doesn't always say of course what I want it to, but usually I can use the knowledge of what I weigh to help me in how to eat better even. If i weigh 4 lbs. heavier than I did yesterday morning, I can do a double take on sodium, calories, fat, etc. and see where I went wrong (if I did) and make a change for the better.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Me too!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I have weighed myself faithfully first thing in the morning and last thing at night for over a year, recording each weight so I can follow the trends........today is day 13 of a 14 day trip and I haven't been able to weigh myself and it's making me crazy especially because we've been obliged to eat restaurant meals a lot.....I look forward to returning to my familiar routine :bigsmile:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Yep I do, first thing in the morning, everytime I hit the bathroom at work (yes I have a scale at work too) and when I get home from work...but what it has taught me is I KNOW how much I weigh all the time...I try to guess what the scale will say when I get on and I'm right 90% of the time...I'm setting myself up for times when I travel and don't have a scale:wink:
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    right here! though since i've joined a group on here and we have a set weigh-in day, i've actually gone ovr 24 hours without weighing myself, woohoo! i think i was getting obsessed without that accountablility.
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, though it's not an obsession with me...

I do it because I find it motivates me more! For example, I have a take-out every Friday night as my 'treat' and I know that when step on the scales on Saturday morning i'll be 1-2lbs heavier! The motivation is knowing that when I step on the scales on Sunday morning that 1-2lbs will be gone :smile:
  • dale49
    Options
    I do weigh myself every day but I don't think of it as an obsession. I think of it as a firm reminder of what a little excess can do to derail my eforts at weight loss. I only record my weight once a week but I feel (for me) that keeping 'on top' of my weight every day doens't allow me to gloss over any bad behaviour. I might indulge in bad behaviour :drinker: but I'm not willing to delude myself about it anymore.
    However, do what works for you....once a day or once a week weigh-in...it's all good.
  • fat_forever
    Options
    No, you should never weigh yourself every day. At most, maybe once a month, but not every day. Weighing yourself every day wouldn't prove anything, as your weight can fluctuate for a variety of reasons. If you've gained two pounds since yesterday, that doesn't mean anything. You might have been dehydrated yesterday, and today you are hydrated.

Keep in mind that what you eat today might not show up on the scale for several days, so if you cheated and had a cheeseburger and fries for lunch, then the next day got on the scale and it showed you didn't gain anything, that doesn't mean you got away with cheating. You could cheat like that, then be really strict about your diet the next day, but the third day that cheeseburger and fries will show up on the scale and you won't understand why, since you kept to your diet the day before.

By weighing once a month, you can get a more accurate idea of what your weight is doing. If the scale says you lost 6 pounds, then you know you lost some weight. You won't know if it was 6 pounds, you will just know you lost, since scales aren't accurate and you might be retaining extra water that day.

The best thing is to throw away the scale and determine your weight loss/gain by how you look and feel. How you look and feel is the goal we all should shoot for, not some random number that someone says we should weigh.

Think about it....if you looked fantastic in a bikini, but the scale said you needed to lose 15 pounds, would you be happy with the way you looked, or would you try to lose that 15 pounds and look too thin?
  • mayclai
    Options
    I ususally weigh in weekly. Sometimes, I jump on the scale if I feel "skinny" and it gives me a confidence boost. :smile:
  • jamie_savage
    Options
    I was. I just locked my scale in the safe and hubby hid the keys. I think it was motivating to me while losing the first 50lbs but this summer I've gained and lost the same 5lbs or so. Its like I would see the number go down, eat. The number went up, I'd lose it in a day or two. I was sabotaging myself, saying "Oh I can lose it easy I'll just eat whatever today then lose it and stay on track" I'm on day 3 no weigh in and having some withdrawls. I wasn't the greatest last night with going to a work outing with my husband that included open bar and unlimited food.
  • tracyts
    tracyts Posts: 113
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, but I don't record it until my set weigh-in date on Sundays. I think weighing myself daily helps keep me motivated and on track, and I expect my body to fluctuate anywhere from 1-5 pounds daily depending on what I ate the day before, water retention, even whether I slept well or not. I also think doing so keeps even my official weigh ins in perspective. This is a journey, not a race and my personal race course is very hilly with lots of ups and downs. Now if you're weighing daily, obsessing about the number on the scale and you're making poor choices because you get freaked out that you gained a pound from the day before, that's not healthy or realistic. You'd be best to put the scale away for awhile.