Celebrating The Little Things

Options
Sometimes, it may seem silly to celebrate 'little things'; and yet, that is how I keep myself going...staying positive about my weight loss journey.

Many of my MFP friends have told me that I am inspiritional or have a great attitude or simply set an example for commitment to my goal. Other folks like my blogs, because I am what they call 'real' or 'honest' or just plain funny.

Truth is...I have bad days, just like everybody else. I do get discouraged, frustrated, sad and question myself and my ability to keep going. I do want 'a quick fix' to a lifetime problem. I do feel the desire to binge from time to time.

So, what makes me different from the rest of my MFP friends? Absolutely NOTHING! We are all going to have bad days, desires to binge or give up. Temptations will come, and I may reach out for them just as easily as any of you.

I have a couple of things that have got me this far along in my weight loss. Most of you may already know the big things...those important goals...getting my new knees and being freed from life in a wheelchair; but it is the little things that help me get through the day to day challenges and temptations. I look for those little things to keep me motivate.

Here are 6 examples of little things that I an celebrating today.

1. I lost 0.2 pounds yesterday. Whoopee Do! That may sound like a tiny number, and it really is; but it is still 0.2 pounds less than yesterday; and the scale went in the right direction. It didn't go up or just sit at the same number for days on end. Believe me, I totally sympathize with anyone on a plateau for a few days or even worse a few months. It takes real courage to stay faithful to your food plan and exercise routine, when the scale is not moving.

2. My underpants are getting loose again. I was so thrilled, when my size 12 and 13 under panties started falling down. New size 10 underpants were the first SMALLER SIZE clothes that I bought in more years than I can remember. Just having to buy smaller clothes and not bigger clothes is a wonderful thing. Every new, smaller size pair of undies means my butt or belly is shrinking. That is always good news.

3. My thighs are no longer lily white. I love to look at my thighs, when I sit down to use the potty. Yep. I will stare at them for a while and smile. They aren't really brown, more like a soft tan; but Hallelujah! They aren't the color of a fish's underbelly anymore. All those little, blue veins are disappearing below a slow growing tan. I find myself wanting to sit around in one of my long tops with my legs exposed all day, just so I can enjoy how much nicer my thighs look.

4. I like to look at my naked body in the mirror now. In the past, I hated the mirror. It was the enemy. It showed me just how much damage I had done with my overeating. Now, I take time almost every day to check out 'what is happening' to the changing lady in the mirror. She's not perfect by a country mile; but she is getting better. I am really getting to like that lady in the mirror; and the good part is...that lady is ME.

5. Words from friends on MFP. I really cherish those short 'atta girl' comments from my MFP friends in response to one of my wall posts, be it my daily food diary post or a small weight loss entry. Even a smiey face that is just a :) type of thing or a short set of letters like WTG are a sweet reminder that I have friends online who care about a lady they have never met face to face. That is special.

6. I got a call from my hubbie, telling me that he loves me and misses me. This may seem like a little thing, but it is actually a pretty big thing. The fact that my husband loves me enough to tell me that every day...even several times each day is so important to me. Whether he is on the road or at home, knowing that he cares and isn't afraid to show it or say it makes my day. It motivates me to want a 'better me' for him. He deserves the 'best me' that I can give him.

So, today...I am celebrating the Little Things.

What are your 'little things'? What keeps you going...gives you a moment of joy, when it is just another day...like any other day?

Replies

• disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Great post, yes it is the little things that add up to big change! A positive attitude will get us further. Thanks for sharing.
  • srgtbiggles
    srgtbiggles Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Love reading your posts! Keep 'em coming!
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    :heart: I just adore you and your posts. You ARE an inspiration and I wait patiently to hear from you daily regarding your process. My small victory is that I volunteered to be a moderator for MFP Group -- Done Being the Fat Girl -- because I think I have this weight loss thing pretty under control and I want to help others that are just starting. It is a great feeling to be in a place where you feel in control. This journey starts with a resounding crash into a wall so many times and clawing your way back from the destruction it causes can be scary, painful and take years..... After 4 long years I feel like my wounds have healed and left behind only scars I'm proud to show others :heart:
  • mcn79
    mcn79 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I love the little things! If we didn't celebrate the little things, there wouldn't be much to celebrate! I also try to pick a few things every day to celebrate. Today mine are:

1. I got my hair cut and colored yesterday. It really helped me to break out of a baaad funk I was in. I feel SO darn good today!

2. My "skinny" clothes were getting snug. I've lost some of the "bloat" and they are fitting ok again

3. It is a gorgeous 80 degree day here in Chicago with NO humidity!

I also love it when my undies are too big!

Keep counting those small things. They really add up!
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You handle everything thrown your way with good healthy humor. I myself have limitations similar but different. I have severe back issues that while I am not in a wheel chair they do limit my mobility and exercise considerably. I have been fortunate in that the scale is sliding downward and I feel a bit better not in my mobility but in my spirit. Unlike you my little green monster rears its head occasionally when others are able to go for long runs and work with weights. I so wish I were able to do those things. I got a hard slap in the face at my last doctors visit when they told me that my hips are failing and my walking time will soon come to an end if something is not done. I am very apprehensive about the visit with the neurosurgeon. Well at least it doesn't make me want to run to the refrigerator, I can't see that helping anything. I wanted you to know your contagious inspiration goes so far beyond weight loss to your fellow MFP friends. You are truly a gem.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I myself have limitations similar but different. I have severe back issues that while I am not in a wheel chair they do limit my mobility and exercise considerably....I got a hard slap in the face at my last doctors visit when they told me that my hips are failing and my walking time will soon come to an end if something is not done...I am very apprehensive about the visit with the neurosurgeon.

Vivian...I will keep you in my prayers. Hopefully, your neurosurgeon will be able to give you the help that you need to have your mobility back and relief from the pain which I am sure is part of your condition. I fully understand the desires of your heart. No one wants to be crippled in their body.

Love you, Sis. :flowerforyou:
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I am celebrating a new belt today. It's a size smaller than my previous. It's super cute and fun, and like a sexy colored bra, no one will see it. It's black and has neon colored circles all over it.

And I'm celebrating running 1 mile non stop today. I'm super slow, but I got it done. 3.3 miles total, while walking the rest, for a total of 44 minutes.

I don't take enough time to celebrate the little things like this each day. Thank you for making me think about it. :)
  • thania217
    thania217 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    YES WE CAN AND WILL WIN THIS BATTLE.
    We have to believe in ourselves and not give up. It's going to be hard to give up all that delicious food that we are used to eating but we can do it. First and for most we have to do this for ourselves. so we can feel good about ourselves. I KNOW for a fact that we will be able to do it and reach our goals. Just remember that YES WE CAN.....
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    I am celebrating a new belt today. It's a size smaller than my previous. It's super cute and fun, and like a sexy colored bra, no one will see it. It's black and has neon colored circles all over it.

That reminds me...I am needing some new bras too. My 46DDs have flattening out to deflated 44Ds, but that's okay. My hubbie jokes that I am 'less fluffy'.

I would love to finally get some bras in anything but white for a change. :wink:
    And I'm celebrating running 1 mile non stop today. I'm super slow, but I got it done. 3.3 miles total, while walking the rest, for a total of 44 minutes.

That's incredible, Sis. I cannot even imagine running for a mile. I am looking forward to even being able to walk around the block. My exercise is limited to swimming laps, until I get my new knees.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    What a wonderful post! I'm so proud to hear about you enjoying your reflection now. That's truly such a wonderful feeling and knowing that you love the body you're working on is absolutely amazing.

As for me, I'm not celebrating too much today. I said no to Nutter Butters .... twice, and earlier I ran for an hour straight without stopping (roughly 5.5 miles). My calves are screaming at me now and my pace was several minutes slower than usual, but I did it!
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    1. I said no to Nutter Butters .... twice
    2. I ran for an hour straight without stopping (roughly 5.5 miles).
    3. My calves are screaming at me now
    4. my pace was several minutes slower than usual, but I did it!

Kyla...Those 4 things all sound like things to celebrate to me. Even the 'delicious pain' of a good workout is something to celebrate. You are definitely a winner in my book. :happy:
  • Jred36
    Jred36 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love your posts and you are inspirational! I am celebrating not buying candy from the candy man that comes every other week. May be silly, but let me tell you I had 3 people come to my office to say are you really sure your not coming to see what he has. I said no thank, then it was, well I'm sure he has some things that are somewhat healthy...again I said no thank you.
  • WDA4655
    WDA4655 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    So happy for you. It is a good and healthy thing to reflect and celebrate on the small things each and everyday.

I'm celebrating a few small things today:

- I was able to get out and go for a nice paced walk today. They forecast rain today, but it didn't, so John & I packed a lunch and went to Seminole Lake Park.

- John was tired so he didn't go, he stayed be the lake and watched me from a distance as I walked down the path. That gave me the opportunity to step up the pace. But I do love taking strolls in the park with my best friend, my honey.

- At the finish of my walk, John said, you really went far. It was only 1/2 hour but I really felt great, not tired and no pain in my knees, or feet.

- The thing is, I would have gone farther but some strange man was following me. Thanking God, my hubby saw him and got in our car and intercepted him. Now a day's we have to be so careful, and aware of our surroundings.
  • catinohio
    catinohio Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I really wish MFP had a 'LIKE' button; so I guess this smiley will have to do :bigsmile:
  • NancyJeanSmith
    Options
    I got a hard slap in the face at my last doctors visit when they told me that my hips are failing and my walking time will soon come to an end if something is not done. I am very apprehensive about the visit with the neurosurgeon.

Vivian,

I was reading Sue's blog and the replies from everybody, and I can across your reply. I'm so sorry to hear that you've received a report of being in a wheel chair, if something isn't done. I immediately stopped and prayed for you. I know that the God that we know and serve, doesn't want any of his children suffering, and of course we don't want to feel the pain of suffering, either.

Go to the neurosurgeon, and don't be apprehensive. God may have put that person in place, just to deliver you!!! That's what happened to me!!! I was in a wheel chair for 4 months, after a car accident. I spent 6 months in the hospital. The orthopedic surgeon who operated on me said that he was going to have to amputate my leg, and I told him off. I told him that I would have nothing less from him than for him to save my leg, and that if he wasn't going to talk to me about saving my leg, to get out of my room. He turned around and left. You know what, God heard me and he enabled the surgeon to save my leg. It wasn't an easy road to travel with the rehabilitation, but by God's unmerited grace, I came through as pure GOLD!!!

I had my final appointment with the surgeon, on the 10th. The last thing he told me was that I would be forever on a walker and in a wheel chair. However, God had other plans, and he got me out of that chair. When the surgeon walked into the room, I just walked right over to him, without the aide of a cane or walker and told him that I was going to do something to him, that God gave us arms for. I gave him the biggest hug and told him, "Thank you, for letting God in and saving my leg and my life!!!" I then reminded him of the last thing he said to me, and he laughed and said, "I love it when people prove me wrong!!!" I explained that it wasn't like that. The fact was that God did exceedingly abundantly more than either you or I could ever think or ask. I was holding his hand the whole time I was talking to him. He roared, and threw his head back, and said, "Give God the GLORY!!!" I reminded him that God does deserve his glory, but that he deserved some also, as he had let God in to start with. God needed a man here on earth, to do what he wanted to be done, so don't be concerned about going to the neurosurgeon. It may be that God put him there just to show you his almighty power.

I'll continue to lift you up in prayer. God bless,

- Nancy Jean -
  • coffee4me57
    coffee4me57 Posts: 195
    Options
    Thanks for the wonderful post! I am celebrating-
    buying capris and shorts in a smaller size
    enjoying fresh grilled peaches for dessert tonight
    going to the gym everyday this week and doing my cardio on the treadmill
    starting strength training later this month- want to keep as much of the lean muscle as I can on this journey
    even though the scale has not budged in two weeks (exactly the same), I know I am making healthier choices with food and exercise-the scale will catch up eventually (My pattern is to remain the same for 2-3 weeks then drop between 1-2 pounds)
    my family and my health
  • kdaughertyfp
    kdaughertyfp Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My celebrations for today!

:happy: Co-worker commented that she could tell that I had lost a lot of weight !
    :smile: On the way home from work saw a fox standing at the edge of a woods, only the second time I have seen a fox.
    :bigsmile: Watching my 7 month old great niece sitting on the floor playing, blow zurburts, talking and watching the dog play.
    :happy: My daughter bought me Starbucks unsweetened passion tea lemonade and it was sitting in the fridge for me when I arrived home after work and workout!
    :smile: I will be under my calorie goal even after enjoying a piece of a co-workers birthday cake.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    My celebrations for today!

:happy: Co-worker commented that she could tell that I had lost a lot of weight !
    :smile: On the way home from work saw a fox standing at the edge of a woods, only the second time I have seen a fox.
    :bigsmile: Watching my 7 month old great niece sitting on the floor playing, blow zurburts, talking and watching the dog play.
    :happy: My daughter bought me Starbucks unsweetened passion tea lemonade and it was sitting in the fridge for me when I arrived home after work and workout!
    :smile: I will be under my calorie goal even after enjoying a piece of a co-workers birthday cake.

Definitely a good day, full of lovely, little things to celebrate.