High Blood Sugar - need suggestions

Options
Ok, so I was told today that my blood sugar is high (from yesterday's lab work) 115, she says healthy range is 75-106. She said to watch my carbs, stay away from breads, pastas etc.... So I went on a mad google search, and I'm looking for lists of what I can have. Essentially meat and veggies.... but I have to be careful about what meats.

I'm ok with taking away bread, I don't eat it, but i do eat white flour tortillas I'm learning it's still flour and that's a no no. Oy.... I'm not complaining but what a way to throw me off.

There are lots of lists of what NOT to eat, so what CAN I eat when I'm staying away from that stuff? I need better answers than what google and search is providing.

Thanks!

Replies

• ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I was told today that my blood sugar is high (from yesterday's lab work) 115, she says healthy range is 75-106. She said to watch my carbs, stay away from breads, pastas etc.... So I went on a mad google search, and I'm looking for lists of what I can have. Essentially meat and veggies.... but I have to be careful about what meats.

I'm ok with taking away bread, I don't eat it, but i do eat white flour tortillas I'm learning it's still flour and that's a no no. Oy.... I'm not complaining but what a way to throw me off.

There are lots of lists of what NOT to eat, so what CAN I eat when I'm staying away from that stuff? I need better answers than what google and search is providing.

Thanks!

You don't necessarily have to cut out breads etc. It's more about learning how to eat carbs with protein. My mom has diabetes and controls it with diet. She has an english muffin with cheddar cheese every morning for breakfast. She also enjoys pasta and has a sandwich most days for lunch.

Buy a glucometer and learn how to prepare your carbs with protein. About 90 minutes after your meal check your blood sugar and see how your body reacts. Whenever she adds a new meal to their menu she does this and decides if it's a keeper or not.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I would search for Primal/Paleo recipes to get some ideas. Both are grain free and there are plenty of things you can eat and not feel like you're being deprived. They aren't just about eating big hunks of meat. Get plenty of veggies and be mindful of fruit, you don't have to stop eating it but some people are more sensitive then others.

I would suggest getting a glucose meter off Amazon or at Walmart. They are aroud $25-$30 along with a box of glucose test strips. You can then test yourself after meals to see how much you are reacting to them if you aren't sure if they're really safe. You mainly want to keep your glycemic load fairly low so that your blood sugar doesn't spike.

For total daily carbs I would try to lower it to around 150g a day for a while to see how you feel.
  • msienkiewicz
    msienkiewicz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ouch - I think my blood sugar this morning was close to 115. I was diagnosed with type II diabetes late last year, I probably would have been happy to get more warning from my doctor when my blood glucose levels were inching up. Anyhow, I had to go to a training class and one of the things they covered was limiting carbohydrate. (That's how I ended up on My Fitness Pal - they recommended it for the tracking!) From what I remember we were told to divide the carbs in units of 15 grams. We ladies could have 2 units of carbs for breakfast, and I think 3 or 4 units for lunch and supper. I've been lazy and not strictly tracking the numbers but yesterday at supper I had two small 'fajita size' flour tortillas for 34 g of carbohydrate and my total for the meal was about 64 grams. 60 grams = 4 carbs. And what is more if you have more than 5 grams of fiber you can subtract those from the total carbs. I had 7 grams of fiber so that makes 64 - 7 = 57. Well, that is what I remember from the lectures.

I guess my message is that if you track what you eat you can probably fit in a small flour tortilla or so if you really wanted. Keep track of what you have. Instead of having tortillas I'd put things on a bed of lettuce - fajita salad. Work in more non-stachy vegetables, they have fewer carbohydrates per unit volume and also have the fiber. Think of things you might like to try and enter them into the diary to see if your carbs come out okay or no. I imagine that there will be other with good suggestions.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    This beginners guide for LCHF (low carb, high fat) has a food list and some meal ideas that might help:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

For myself, I've just replaced the starches and sugar with vegetables and fat. Like broccoli works well with cheese sauces so I'll have broccoli and chicken with a homemade Alfredo sauce or broccoli and ground beef with a cheddar cheese sauce for a Hamburger Helper type of meal. Sauteed cabbage is another great vegetable filler I use all of the time. And then there's just your typical meat and veg dishes where you can leave out the starchy side and just have a vegetable like a whole roasted chicken with green beans and gravy or a steak and salad with full fat dressing.

It's daunting at first but there's a lot of delicious, satisfying food you can eat that's low carb -- it'll just take awhile to come up with your favorites. Good luck. :)
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    here is a life saver in the bread category--Have a diabetic friend who went gaga over it. Walmart has wraps in their DELI dept. called JOSEPHS flax see and oat bran lavash bread. They come in round or a sheet and they are WONDERFUL. One sheet is 100 cals and 1/2 is more than enough to wrap a sammie. I also cut them in bite size pieces, spray with olive oil and celery salt and toast them on both side. THOSE make great 100 cal snacks for the movies. Go get them and read the back--you ingest very little carbs and they taste great.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Look up 'Glycemic Index', it's developed specifically for diabetics.