Feeling Down and Out

Options
Hello everyone! My name is Lesley, I am 30 yrs old, and just recently joined this site a week ago. I am a SAHM for my two year old son and my 6 month old daughter.
I have been going strong my first week. I have been watching my calories and exercising everyday. Well today, I just woke up in a mood. The kids were both really whiney today, we were cooped up in the house cause of the rain and just felt like I was stuck in a rut. Now, I have never considered myself to be an emotional eater at all, but today I found my self needlessly snacking when I was anxious or upset.
I also didn't work out today, which like I said is the first time in a week that I have gone without working out.
I am just really disappointed in myself because I really want to be in shape and lose the baby weight. I am afraid that I will end up giving up on myself and just need some encouragement and advice on how to stay motivated.
My goal is to lose 20 lbs, I am currently 160.
Thank you!

Replies

• Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    You are going to have bad days. That's just part of it. You just keep picking yourself up and keep going. One bad day isn't likely to ruin an entire week of work, so don't be too hard on yourself :)
  • heeney12
    Options
    It is always helpful to look back on the progress that you made. You went a week with working out and eating right which means that you can do it today as well. Remember to listen to your body and give yourself a chance to rest if that is what you need. Also there are going to be days that you find are harder than others, but you can't let that day become your week or month or year. Get through it as best as you can and keep positive about the changes you want to happen.
  • histotech1
    histotech1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    don't be too hard on yourself. everyone has bad days. don't give up. tomorrow will be a new day and the mood will most likely be gone and you will once again be motivated. we all can do this. I too want to lose the baby weight. I dont think I can use the excuse anymore of just having had a baby since he is almost 4! lol
  • Squash97
    Options
    So nice to meet you here on MFP! I am a 30 yr. old stay at home mom as well. There are going to be days like that! Don't punish yourself for ONE bad day. Instead, give yourself a pat on the back for going a whole week taking care of yourself. Rememeber that it takes 3500 calories (above and beyond what you normally burn in a day) to even gain a pound, so as long as you didn't go to mcDonalds for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, then shrug it off and try to keep yourself distracted tomorrow. I've been where you are! I have actually lost 23 pounds so I'm getting really close to my ultimate goal which is to be lean and tone up my muscles, but I know how hard it is! I hope that tomorrow is a better day with the kids. Doesn't it seem like they gang up on you all at once? (I have three: 5yrs, 2 1/2, 1 yr) *Sigh* :)
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I got stuck inside for a while this summer--we had a week of torrential rains, and it would only stop raining when I was at work, and since I'm too cheap to buy a gym pass I had to forgo working out for a bit... it made me feel like crap both physically and mentally, so I sort of get how you feel (although I don't have kids to contend with). Don't worry about giving up--if you worry about something it'll often end up bad. Just get back on the bandwagon tomorrow, workout or not, and keep the faith that you can and *will* do this! (And always remember that we're here if you need a push!)
  • millesun
    millesun Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    LESLEY.....DON'T GIVE UP!!!! I understand just not feeling it all last week I felt like crap and didn't eat well because of it. Remember you didn't put on that weight in a day and your not gonna take it off or GAIN any in a day. Don't be mad at yourself just think about what healthy choices you made last week and how you can make them the rest of this week. If you need more help...add me. I am a working mom of 4!!! Yes 4 ages 14, 13, 8, and 5. Last year on my 30th birthday I weighed and all time high of 231...this year on my birthday I weighed 166! And believe me I had my days...hell I had my weeks. I "gave" up trying to lose threw the month of December and just worked on not eating like I used too. Guess what I didn't lose any weight, BUT I didn't gain any!!! You can do it!
  • tammylober
    Options
    Maybe post an older pic of yourself when you were happy with your weight, or even a pic of someone else who inspires you. Try and read 10 pages of motivational material every day. It will make a huge difference in the way you feel. Surround yourself with people who can motivate and encourage you and most of all don't be too hard on yourself. Hope this helps!
  • thisemmabites
    Options
    Take every day one step at a time. Realize that everyone has their off days, but tomorrow you can start again. I used to think one bad day of eating would wreck everything I did, but now I know if I come back strong the next day that everything will work out just fine. If I'm stressing or upset I try and count out a snack that I love and make it last. Or I'll go for something more healthy than my stash of snack sized candies that I keep hidden for that urgent craving. You can do this! :)
  • Michael287
    Michael287 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey Lesley,

I've been here a week also and was doing great, until today, blew my calories big time. Like you I didn’t workout either, mainly because I'm sore from working out yesterday. I'm on a business trip, which doesn’t help, but I'll be back at it again tomorrow. Hopefully I can manage the rest of the week eating in restaurants. I'm going to just keep track of my intake and get back into the fitness room! Good luck, and don’t get down...things happen. Enjoy your children, hold them tight, and love on them like crazy....tomorrow is another day! Keep looking at the big picture...you will be in it!

Michael
  • lesley12345
    lesley12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you everyone for the outpour of support. You are all right, I should be proud of the hard work I put in this past week, and reflecting on the positive makes me want to wake up tomorrow and have a better attitude and a better day. I am so anxiouos to get back to pre-baby weight, and when I look at myself in the mirror now, I don't know who this person is looking back at me. I want to feel comfortable in my own skin again but at the same time I know I have to ease up on myself and be patient with this diet. Thank you so much again! Good luck to you all!