I Desperately Need Help!

Options

Replies

• wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Set ONE goal for each week. Something realistic, practical, and measurable. Then do it for a week. For example, "this week, I will log ALL of my food and exercise."

Evaluate your progress, and add another small goal. "This week, I will walk around the block x number of times, on x number of days."

Then read. A lot. Here, other places, wherever. Review your food logs and pick ONE thing to work on, "I will replace every other soda with water."

This process is slow, though I am now able to set weekly goals in four areas at a time. But it is not overwhelming, and success isn't only measured by a number, but by what behavior you have changed.

We all take baby steps before we can run. Simply committing to one change a week is a good place to start.

Much luck on your journey!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    don't look at it as a diet. its simply making better choices a few times a day. It's about balance, not deprivation. You want bread? Have bread. Then go for a walk. You want sweets? Walk to the shop to buy them.
  • emo1124
    emo1124 Posts: 8
    Options
    Something that has really helped for me is to plan ahead -- I will pack my lunch and snacks for the day the night before, and log those calories. Also, I eat the same breakfast pretty much every day, so I log those too. I even log my coffee and creamer (I know just how much I need, and use the same amount every day). Then, I know how many I have left to play with for dinner, and if I want to treat myself or eat a larger meal, I know I either have to adjust breakfast or lunch, or exercise to make up the calories! I couldn't do it without planning ahead, it's terrible to get to dinner and have 300 calories left and be totally shocked/starving. At the same time, it really motivates me to exercise, because the more I exercise, the more I get to eat!! (I keep a pretty low daily calorie goal, but I eat those exercise calories back with pleasure).

You'd be surprised, the first week or two you'll be hungry (or hangry, as some like to say), but soon you'll be satisfied with the smaller amount of food. Please, treat yourself though. I like to use my exercise calories for an ice cream sandwich or a glass of wine on nights I'm not eating something special for dinner. It keeps you sane!

Also, get a food scale. It really helps you get a good idea of what a serving size actually looks like -- you might be eating more (or less!) than you actually think.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

For the op... I'd suggest the same as many others. Log everything. Try not to cut too drastically too fast. Get a good understanding of WHAT you eat and when, and then start making swaps, or smaller portions.
  • kindredspirit96
    kindredspirit96 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I disagree about not logging housework. If you're doing it for a span of time, laundry, putting clothes away, doing dishes, putting them away, vacuuming, picking up, for like twenty minutes or more straight, I would log it.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Time of food consumption has been proven again and again and again to not effect weight loss in any meaningful consistent way.

Ditto on the "eat 6 meals a day" mantra that is often spewed, the science hasn't supported either of those in years... but they still show up over and over and over again.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I disagree about not logging housework. If you're doing it for a span of time, laundry, putting clothes away, doing dishes, putting them away, vacuuming, picking up, for like twenty minutes or more straight, I would log it.

Logging it is fine, but make sure not to eat it back if you're doing TDEE or you're double dipping as it's already accounted for in your activity level (unless you do house work once in a blue moon or something.)
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I agree. I have been watching old seasons of Dr. Who. I only allow myself to watch them while I'm on the elliptical trainer, which gives me a 45 minute workout. I don't always have that much time, but it's my incentive to try to stick to it. I'm kind of new to dieting, but I've done a lot of research on dieting and nutrition. I've read that once you eat only healthy food for awhile, then you lose your cravings for junk. It sure as hell hasn't happened for me yet! I drive past all of my favorite restaurants and want to scream! That's my biggest challenge. Once our kids grew up, my husband and I started to eat out a lot. I figure this will be good for both of us in terms of health, weight, and money. Try telling yourself you can only eat wholesome food for two weeks. That's a pretty doable goal, and then see if you still crave the junk after that. Feel free to "friend" me. I'd love to brainstorm ideas with you, because I, too, love dessert and fast food.
    I feel the cravings going away. I used to LOVE diet pepsi. Now it just tastes....ummm..funky?
  • kkdelduca
    kkdelduca Posts: 73
    Options
    ^

Stay within your calorie budget. If you would like more calories to spend on food, just exercise a little more. Once you start to see a difference in your body it might motivate you to stick with it.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Don't give up your bread or your sweets, just upgrade. Get the very best quality of fresh bakery bread, whole grain and wholesome. It is so delicious to have a slice still warm from the oven! Same with sweets. Don't just get some fast food junk, make it high end foodie stuff. I had a little bit of heaven on my fork last weekend when I indulged in the most delicious tiramisu. Sure, it was $6.50 a slice, but it was absolutely divine. Totally worth the calories and money spent.

After eating the best of the best, going back to the junk is such a let down. It's been over a year since I've had boxed mac and cheese. My last experience was that it had no flavor and it totally blew my calories for the day. So not worth it. I'm not even interested in those little blue and yellow boxes anymore, and kraft mac and cheese used to be one of my favorite comfort foods.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Logging it is fine, but make sure not to eat it back if you're doing TDEE or you're double dipping as it's already accounted for in your activity level (unless you do house work once in a blue moon or something.)

Housework is not exercise. I wouldn't log it, but I would set my activity level appropriately to accommodate for it.

I wear a fitbit. One day I did yard work and house cleaning for about 5 hours straight. My fitbit calorie adjustment was about 300 calories. If I logged all that work using MFP it would've given me over 1000 calories.

Again, it's not exercise. It's life.
  • mitzvahmom78
    mitzvahmom78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm new here and looking for advice too. I just want to say that you all offered some great ideas that I will be trying as well. Thanks!
  • thisdamselflies
    thisdamselflies Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    A lot of the advice you've already gotten on this thread is really excellent: log your food and exercise, cut down your portion sizes but don't try to limit yourself too much (that will cause bingeing!), try walking for exercise, etc.I'll add two things to the mix:

1) If you feel like you do want to change something about your food, try cooking. Personally, I think cooking is kind of fun, and extremely satisfying. Don't limit what you cook, either. I have never, ever made broiled chicken with brown rice and steamed broccoli. Honestly, that sounds bland and disgusting. Anything you cook will be healthier than the pre-packaged version you find in the store, and very, very often, it will actually taste better! Only cook meals that sound delicious, and which you feel up to based on time, clean-up, and complexity. For time-crunched days, crock pots are magic. :) I usually play some music while I'm cooking, so I'm dancing around as well as creating a healthier meal for myself.

2) For exercise, find things you like. You don't need to stick with the same program for 90 days or whatever. Find some videos you have fun doing, try hula hooping (adult hoops are much larger and heavier than children's hoops, making it much easier, and a lot of people have gotten fit hooping...check out hoopnotica if you're interested), lift some weights or do bodyweight strength training, take walks (like other posters have recommended), go for a bike ride, etc. Whatever you do, don't force yourself to do the same thing every day if you're losing interest. Schedule your workouts every week, and do whatever you feel like doing in that time, as long as you enjoy it and/or feel satisfied about it afterward.
  • Alicia_1981
    Alicia_1981 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I also have learned that I have to plan what I'm going to eat. Monday through Thursday I plan everything out the night before. My breakfast is one of two ways so easy enough. Lunch I plan the night before and dinner I try to plan that morning. Friday's are a little unpredictable as I go out for lunch with co-workers but once we know where we are going I will go to the restaurants website and browse the nutritional information so I know before hand. Weekends are harder for me because my husband is already thin and needs to eat more but I still log weekends no matter how ugly. I also try to fit in a walk somewhere in my day, whether it's a 15 minute break at work or part of my lunch hour. I try to log at least 30 minutes and I do it with co-workers a lot so we "gossip" the whole time and its not boring at all.
  • VaporsVaporizer
    Options
    I love sweets and bread too. I don't deprive myself of either. I stay under my calorie count each day, but handle those cravings with things like sugar free jello and sugar free pudding with a little light whipped cream. I eat light bread(pepperidge farm oatmeal, seven gratin ) and i also splurge with Skinny cow ice creams and candy . Watermelon is sweet and so is pineapple. There are plenty of things that you can use to handle sweets & carb cravings. I started back with MFP in Jan and have lost 41 lbs. just logging everything i eat daily. Good luck!
  • bayoncay
    bayoncay Posts: 11
    Options
    go on youtube and look up "blogilates". she will change your life. She did for me :)
  • mathstudent
    Options
    I've read that once you eat only healthy food for awhile, then you lose your cravings for junk.

This is true for me. I haven't lost my cravings completely, but the frequency of my overeating has decreased substantially, along with my cravings. I would say that it's more about watching sugar and fat intake than eating healthy per se, because sugar and fat are addictive (source: youtube documentary "big mac under attack"). It's easy to overeat fruit (too much sugar) or nuts (too much fat) thinking you are being healthy, but really you aren't. This could be your problem. I think IIFYM is pretty good advice.

EDIT: added source for claim
  • emmajones0221
    Options
    I started out by just measuring and logging everything I ate and any exercise I did. I didn't even worry about changing anything. I just needed to get a handle on exactly what calories, fat, etc. were in my everyday diet, and how much calories were burned by the little exercise I did do. I needed to figure out what a correct portion size - of anything - was, and how many calories I needed versus what I was expending every day. Once I more or less had a handle on it, I started to make very tiny changes - say, 3/4 cup of rice instead of a whole cup, 2 tsp. butter versus a large, unmeasured glob, etc., etc. I replaced those calories with more fruit, veggies, and whole grains, just a little at a time. Only then was I able to start cutting the calories and work on making the macros come out correctly. It took me 3 months to get here, and I still fall off the wagon, but it's working. I am actually losing 1 lb. per week.
  • cseckinger1
    Options
    If you are at 300 or so, you really do need to cut out your sugar & starches. You can do this, but you have to change your lifestyle of eating. You can still have good food, but sugary foods are not the food you need for your body. Please make a committment to yourself to change your bad habits. You can succeed, you have to want it.
  • mdyoung6309
    Options
    Wow, Thank you so much for all your advise... I think after reading all these I have a great Idea of how I am going to tackle this monster. I appreciate all your ideas and tips and if you all ever want to add me feel free.