I couldn't stop myself, once again.

Options
So I've noticed every day I eat too much nut butter... it's a problem. I had a really stressful day at work today, and when I got home... finished off the almond butter :(
And just about ten minutes ago... I feel so embarrassed and ashamed of myself... I ate 1.5 bars of Hershey's chocolate... and I don't know what's worse, the fact that I couldn't control myself and ate SO MUCH chocolate or the fact that I (sorry about this- squeamish alert) chewed and spit all of it (which means I just chewed it and then spat it out. I don't have an eating disorder, by the way, I was just so disgusted with myself that I couldn't bring myself to swallow...)
I just wanted to share my disgusted feelings... HOW can I manage these binges? I don't usually keep chocolate around the house, but my boyfriend gave me like 10 hersheys bars as a present (I know... I was secretly so sad :c)
How do I not give into temptation? PLEASE give me some advice? :(

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    You need to find a way to deal with stress without resorting to food. I had the same problem for a long time (though for me, it was crackers and chips, not chocolate), and I had to come to grips with the stress first. I have personally found that exercise is a great release for me. It burns off the adrenaline built up from being stressed all day, and when I get back, I have extra calories to eat (bonus!). I also try to log everything before I put it in my mouth. Getting into that habit has stopped a binge before it got started more than once. When you see what you are about to eat in black and white, it's harder to justify going through with it. Lastly, forgive yourself. It happens, and we've all been there. Start fresh and don't let one bad day get you off course.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    There are some foods that I just don't keep around because I know that I can't control myself. Popcorn is a big one for me. It's fine if you eat a little bowl, but not if you can't stop yourself until you've eaten 20 cups. If there are specific foods that you lack control with, you may consider just not keeping them in the house.
  • Zenjaeie
    Zenjaeie Posts: 95
    Options
    There are some foods that I just don't keep around because I know that I can't control myself. Popcorn is a big one for me. It's fine if you eat a little bowl, but not if you can't stop yourself until you've eaten 20 cups. If there are specific foods that you lack control with, you may consider just not keeping them in the house.

Same here. I think I'm going to set some rules down- like buying a very small container of nut butters/etc and telling myself I can only buy one little container every 2 months or so- that should help it last longer :)
  • shawnatheobald
    Options
    I had an issue with food too, so I can relate to a small extent.

I have to keep that stuff out of the house. Even as a gift, I just politely tell that person "I am sorry, but I cannot accept this." and explain why. My husband was frustrated at first by this, but he does understand, and it has been a huge help.

Whenever I went into "have to binge" mode, I would eat an orange. Or two. Whatever I needed. They are so sweet, and take time to eat, that by the time I was done, I no longer craved what I originally wanted. Eventually, the cravings stopped, and now I do not crave that sort of stuff very often at all!

Another trick I learned is to drink water. Count to 10, and sip in between each number. If the craving is still there, do it to 20, 30, whatever. It really does help!

When I get stressed out now, instead of reaching for the chips or chocolate, I go for a walk. It helps me clear my mind and the exercise naturally helps reduce stress.

Good luck!
  • mirrinias
    mirrinias Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have a major problem with trigger foods too. Namely chocolate and ice cream. I went through some mental steps to help me resist the urge to buy them.

First, I tried to figure out WHY I wanted the food so badly -- it boiled down to : bored, conditioned myself to want a treat after work, and hungry (in that order). Then, I figured out a way to fix each of those. For the boredom, I take a walk or practice on my violin. For the 'wanting a treat after work' bit, I found a replacement. For me it was Werther's sugar free candies. 8 cals a piece and although I really like them, I don't feel the urge to eat more than one or two at a time. As for hungry, that one's easy: I eat something else when I get home!

So far it's been pretty successful. Every time I crave that food, I think of the major reason why, and treat it a different way instead of giving in to the craving.

That, and, I absolutely cannot have these items in the house. At all. I can't accept one piece of chocolate from someone, because that's it, I want more.
  • KellyyT
    KellyyT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    the fact that you couldn't control yourself and ate 1.5 hersheys bars isn't what concerns me. but the fact that you chewed it ALL up and spit it ALL back out, is more concerning. it sounds like more of a mental thing than you think. it makes me think of the elephant in the room, and that the next step is binge eating, and throwing it all back up.

i'm never for the camp that tells everyone to get psychological help, because most of them are loons and should shut up. but if you do this pretty often, maybe you should consider that type of help before you think of losing weight. maybe after you figure out what's wrong with your thought process, the weight will come off faster and with less guilt involved.

good luck and good thoughts your way!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    How deep is your deficit? People who are too restrictive can develop an unhealthy relationship with food. If you are chewing up and spitting back out your food, I see a serious problem developing. Are you only eating 1200 calories> or less? maybe you could open up your diary and let us see.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options

Popcorn turned out to be a bad one too me as well. No joke 20C might have been my stop ..
    I'm so pathetic ..

I agree, if there are foods you trip over, eliminate them from your cupboards.
    It will make things work much easier. :)