Yoga and pilates

Options
I am doing P90X yoga today. How come you can't add that on to your exercise either in cardio or strength, the search comes up empty. Also all of the dvd's I do combining cardio/strength you can't add it.

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    ???

I'm confused by your thread title. Yoga is under cardio, if that's what you're looking for. They may not have the specific DVD in the database, but you can add that you did, for example, 45 minutes of yoga.

I don't know about P90X. Just find something similar would be my advice, or get a heart rate monitor.
  • jlizgar
    jlizgar Posts: 104
    Options
    Ditto the previous poster.... If I do a specific DVD workout or gym class a lot of times its not listed under that specific title in the database so ill just add it as cardio, or strenght training or whatever fits best. I know that Yoga & Pilates both are in the database because I do both of them often.
  • bopper
    bopper Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Thank You , I will search it out. Didn't mean to confuse anyone.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    Just keep in mind when adding yoga - the yoga that p90x does is vinyasa. It is NOT the same as hatha yoga stretching. Hatha is not the booty-kicker that the vinyasa on P90x is. Personally, I googled calories burned in vinyasa yoga and found a couple of different calculators that allowed me to enter in my weight. They were all pretty similar, so I calculated it and used the add an exercise feature.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Just keep in mind when adding yoga - the yoga that p90x does is vinyasa. It is NOT the same as hatha yoga stretching. Hatha is not the booty-kicker that the vinyasa on P90x is. Personally, I googled calories burned in vinyasa yoga and found a couple of different calculators that allowed me to enter in my weight. They were all pretty similar, so I calculated it and used the add an exercise feature.

I've done vinyasa yoga for years. I've seen claims that it burns up to 600 calories an hour. I wear a heart rate monitor and it's nowhere near there. Yes, it burns more than simple stretching, but the most I've ever burned in an hour of intense power yoga is around 200 calories.
  • adrienc
    Options
    I have never done P90X yoga, but I'm practising Power yoga and Ashtanga yoga, which are both fast-paced, vigorous yoga syles.
    I was wearing my heart rate monitor this morning during my Power Yoga session and I burned 370 calories in one hour.

I've heard that Bikram yoga (vigorous yoga poses done in an heated room over 100 F and over 40% humidity) can burn up to 800 calories, but I've never tried it.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I have never done P90X yoga, but I'm practising Power yoga and Ashtanga yoga, which are both fast-paced, vigorous yoga syles.
    I was wearing my heart rate monitor this morning during my Power Yoga session and I burned 370 calories in one hour.

I've heard that Bikram yoga (vigorous yoga poses done in an heated room over 100 F and over 40% humidity) can burn up to 800 calories, but I've never tried it.

I know someone who does Bikram. She's female, around 130 and burns 600 in 90 minutes.
  • bopper
    bopper Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I think that is just about right also.