Looking for others who have had bariatric surgery.

Options
I had the gastric sleeve procedure done on June 26, and would like to talk with others who have had bariatric surgery to compare notes and answer questions. For example, I'm having trouble meeting the 1200 recommended (on this website) calories per day. I'm meeting the minimum protein grams recommended by my doctor. With the high protein/low carb diet I am on, I've been averaging around 700-800 calories per day and 60-65 grams of protein. Was wondering how others who have had bariatric surgery are doing.

Replies

• Rus_girl
    Rus_girl Posts: 10
    Options
    I had sleeve gastrectomy done on 18th June. Hello :)
    I know I am too low on calories (400-900 a day) but I just can not eat more.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Since you have had a medical procedure you can alter the calorie requirement yourself. I have people on my friends list have a daily requirement of 300 calories or 800 calories since they had B.S. and can only eat like a cup of food a day.
  • Rus_girl
    Rus_girl Posts: 10
    Options
    I am pure blonde lol Tried to change requirements myself but failed.
  • phonepest
    phonepest Posts: 43
    Options
    I'm a bypasser! As long as you're getting your protein and fluids in, don't worry about the calories yet. Also, there is a site called Renewed Reflections (not the forum on MFP) Do a search and check it out. There's a gazillion great bits of info, and it's mostly bariatric surgery folks. Anyone is welcome though, and there are several non-ops, as we call them. I'm Phonepest on there too!
  • freexer
    freexer Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm having trouble eating more than 700-800 calories in a day too. My doctor is more focused on reach protein goals, and I have been able get those in now that I can eat solid foods. For proteins I'm drinking 1-2 protein shakes per day, and then eating cheeses, lean lunch meats and jerky.

What are you doing for your exercise?
  • freexer
    Options
    Great info Phonepest. Thanks! How have you done since your surgery?
  • pml_rs
    pml_rs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve performed in October, but I had a few setbacks. I have lost approximately 65-70 pounds so far and feel awesome! :) I keep reminding myself that this isn't a competition on who looses the quickest (althought I'd like that to be the case) it's about keeping it off. So far I have regained anything, but it's still early. How are you doing with your weight loss? How are you feeling?
  • freexer
    Options
    So far, I have lost 23 lbs. I've head the weight comes off quicker right after surgery. I was off pain meds within 3 days, and feel great. The only issue I am having is with heart burn. Very rarely had heart burn before surgery. Bought some Prilosec today to see if it helps.

Has anyone else who had bariatric surgery had any issues with heart burn? And if so, what did you do? It kept me up all list night.
  • jleecole77
    jleecole77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good to find some fellow WLS people on here! I am 5 days post surgery (VSG) and found this site/app to track my incredible lack of progress with protein and water intake LOL!

My doctor recommended 800 calories a day and 75-90 grams of protein. I am still in liquids so the protein is tough! Lots of protein shakes.

Gas-x helped early on for me with the heartburn feeling. I have a reflux incident about once a night and my dr. told me that over time my stomach will calm down. I know my doc said I could take Zantac but I would double check with your own dr.

Glad to see others are doing well!
  • bonniejkahl
    Options
    I had vertical sleeve gastrectomy on May 29th.

Just figured out today how to change my goals. Here's how I did it.
    1. Go to My Home
    2. Click on Goals
    3. At the bottom of the page there is a green button that says "Change Goals"
    4. Put in whatever numbers your surgeon has given you.

PS...I have looked to change this several times and this morning figured it out and I'm not blonde! :wink:
  • bonniejkahl
    Options
    My surgeon prescribed an antacid for me to take.
  • Normacurrie
    Normacurrie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I`m super happy to see all the info in response to your question. I`m in the pre weight loss phase and will have my appt made for VSG on Aug 22. I`m so excited!! I`m constantly looking for people to "follow" their progress. May I add you as a friend?
  • christianladybug
    christianladybug Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Just had the gastric sleeve done Jul 15th. I am already down 14lbs. Trust me I don't think it will keep falling off at that rate but it sure is motivating. Glad to find a group with same experience.:flowerforyou:
  • suzee279
    suzee279 Posts: 58
    Options
    I had the sleeve in January. Do not worry about your calories. At this point it would be surprising if you were doing much more than 6-700 calories per day. The important things are the protein, the water and adjusting to this new way of life. I think you will be very happy with how this works out!!
  • chiawatha
    Options
    I had terrible heartburn for the first week until I reviewed my hospital release paperwork. Apparently I completely missed the 20 MG Prilosec prescription my doctor had written for me. After two days, the heartburn was gone.

My calorie intake varies considerably, so I focus on taking my vitamins, getting enough protein and drinking lots of water.
  • mwolfe8704
    Options
    I had RNY Bypass on July 23rd. I'm still on liquid diet, so I can't help you with calories or such. My doctor's office gave me a list of what I can eat and how much, how often and that's that. Since surgery I've lost 23 lbs, I had gained 10 lbs while in the hospital from all of the IV fluids they were pumping into me. LOL I still have issues with pain, but it mostly comes and goes. I haven't taken anything for it in over a week.

It's nice to find other people that are going through the same things that I am. :smile:
  • Jentorres8814
    Jentorres8814 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi this is a great thread! I am in the pre weight loss phase. I am looking at a surgery date of Feb 2014.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Possibly to the shock of my current friends, I am preparing to have gastric sleeve surgery (pending insurance approval). Would really appreciate any FRs from those who have had, or will be having, the sleeve procedure.

To the OP, with the sleeve, my understanding for concerns are 1) sufficient protein intake, and 2) vitamin intake. Low calories, under a 1,000, is normal.
  • pongolou
    Options
    Hello.

I am one week pose RNY and just movign beyond clear liquids. Have seen a significant drop is in a short time, but still not moving much. Interested to hear from more bypassers.
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am PRE-OP for the Sleeve procedure, looking for others here as friends.
    I have been working on this with a Bariatric medical group since February, 2013.
    My insurance required a six month supervised weight loss program and I am on month 5.
    I need to lose 20 pounds before I can apply for insurance approval and get the surgery authorized.
    This should happen some time in October.

Thank you!