SELF CONTROL SELF CONTROL

Options
Is there a brain chip for this yet?

I have fibro, was on bed rest for 1 year after having my daughter in 2011. I am taking the steps to get healthy for her, so I can chase her and pick her up and all that fun stuff.

I joined the Y. I do swim aerobics with the silver hairs 3 times a week (4 visits so far) 45 min long. and 1 to 1 3/4 mile on treadmill and almost 2 mile on bike plus upper and lower body strength weights.

In the morning I am lets do this, not hungry move move move....
By 4 pm I could eat the entire house .... SERIOUSLY. I have stuffed myself till my belly hurts and still eat .... WHY?? I still feel hungry too.

I am trying to eat Grapefruit/yogurt/protein bar around 8am for breakfast

half a sandwich for lunch

and then I blow it the rest of the day..
Drinking lots of water, trying to stay away from sodas....

But Im just HUNGRY.. Is it because for the first time in a year and half Im moving more so my body needs more and is just out of whack right now or is my self control and mental hunger control button way off..

Words of wisdom would be much appreciated

Replies

• mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    if that is all you are eating it is not enough. I had weight loss surgery a year ago so my stomach is the sive of an egg and I eat more than that. Break fast sounds good. Half a sandwich is a snack not lunch. Huge salad with eggs nuts cheese and chicken is a lunch. then a pm snack like apple and 1 oz of cheese or almonds or peanut butter (1tbls). dinner is some fish and veggies like asparagus and squash and maybe some brown rice or quinoa. try eating 5 meals a day. You wont be hungry.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Can you make your diary public? It sounds like might just need to space out your calories a little more, maybe a bigger lunch? I don't know much about fibromyalgia, sorry. But if you're working out in the morning, that breakfast and lunch might not be giving you enough fuel to make it through your day. Have you tried shifting things around? Divide your calories between breakfast, lunch, and dinner?
  • Jungle_Julie
    Jungle_Julie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Can you make your diary public? It sounds like might just need to space out your calories a little more, maybe a bigger lunch? I don't know much about fibromyalgia, sorry. But if you're working out in the morning, that breakfast and lunch might not be giving you enough fuel to make it through your day. Have you tried shifting things around? Divide your calories between breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

AGREED
  • Rocktobermom
    Options
    Made it public, I didn't know there was a hidden option. Still getting used to this. Thanks. :)
  • danivee33
    danivee33 Posts: 33
    Options
    You're not on bedrest anymore. You need to eat more because you need more energy. What you're eating would be okay, if you lied down and didn't move all day. (This advice was for today's diary before I saw yesterday's 5,000 calorie one... holy crap!)
  • shortmomma81
    Options
    Hang in there, don't feel bad, we've all been there. It takes several tries to find a way to make it work. Like me, As soon as I said or thought of the word DIET, I was hungry! Then when I thought of it as a change of life style...Not depriving myself but just changing the foods I eat, it became easier. I always tell people, "No thank you, I'm eating healthy so I can live longer" It makes me feel good.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options

By 4 pm I could eat the entire house .... SERIOUSLY. I have stuffed myself till my belly hurts and still eat .... WHY?? I still feel hungry too.

I sometimes have the same problem. I call it THE WALL and for me it happens around 2pm. For me it's largely in my head, I'm not really hungry, I'm overwhelmed or tired and my coping mechanism from some reason seem to be set for hunger. I can always tell it's not hunger because I don't want to stop and the need to eat doesn't fade when I'm full.

I don't know if it's the same for you. I have some caffeine or chocolate and that will usually get me over the hump without binging.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    For starters you can't out exercise a bad diet. It took me a long time to realize that but it's true.

Secondly - you should eat breakfast like a king - have a nice sized meal of healthy food. Don't want to cook or not that hungry in the morning? Consider investing in a juicer or a blender and make a healthy drink packed full of nutrients to help get your day started. (lots of juicing and smoothie recipes online if you want to search for them).

Eat lunch like a queen and don't eat too late in the day - ideally lunch should be eaten before 2pm.

Eat dinner like a pauper - go easy on the meat, fill up on the veggies.

Stay away from sodas - regular or diet, both are very bad for you.
    And no rewarding yourself with a treat for a good work out.

All of that should help you start losing the weight.
  • Rocktobermom
    Options
    Potluck after water aerobics.... Killed me..
  • Rocktobermom
    Options

I sometimes have the same problem. I call it THE WALL and for me it happens around 2pm. For me it's largely in my head, I'm not really hungry, I'm overwhelmed or tired and my coping mechanism from some reason seem to be set for hunger. I can always tell it's not hunger because I don't want to stop and the need to eat doesn't fade when I'm full.

I don't know if it's the same for you. I have some caffeine or chocolate and that will usually get me over the hump without binging.

Im trying a bit of coffee today.
  • NaomiJFoster
    Options
    Thanks for opening your diary. It helps us all help each other when we can see what's going on.

You just need some practice! It's a whole different way of thinking about food, really. It looks like you are relying a bit on packaged products and fast food. I do a lot of packaged meals too, I'm not condemning you! It makes life easier sometimes. But sometimes, especially with breakfast bars, they just aren't satisfying to eat. Mentally. It's what, like four bites and it's gone? There's no pleasure in that. So it may leave your brain thinking it wants to have more of a food experience. For a similar number of calories, you could maybe have a bowl of cereal with milk, or some eggs and toast and fruit.

Also...please look at more veggies and fruits. They are yummy and they do all sorts of good things to your body. And they are full of fiber, which makes your tummy feel full longer.

And finally, look at your macros (carbohydrates, fats, and proteins). As you get a handle on this, you'll start looking at those components as puzzle pieces. "If I have a carb-heavy breakfast with very little protein, then I'll need to increase my proteins later in the day to bring that number up" for example. It's a bit tricky, but it's so worth it. Protein also gives you energy and keeps you full longer.

Honestly, I'm not an expert at this thing. I'm still learning and I'm still messing it up left and right all the time. It's a process. Nobody gained their weight overnight, nobody looses it overnight. The process is the success of it. Keep logging your food and exercise, keep coming into the message boards to read what other people are asking.
  • NaomiJFoster
    Options
    Potluck after water aerobics.... Killed me..

LOL Potlucks are deadly!! But so much fun!
  • Rocktobermom
    Options
    I am going to try the great breakfast thing. Im naturally waking up around 6 am now, instead of sleeping all day. I want to eat, go workout and be home before my Fiance' goes to work at 9, and then I have to find something to do with myself. I've came to work with my fiance twice now just so I don't stay in bed.

I'll def. try the KING QUEEN PAUPER mentality and see where that goes. Thanks!!

For starters you can't out exercise a bad diet. It took me a long time to realize that but it's true.

Secondly - you should eat breakfast like a king - have a nice sized meal of healthy food. Don't want to cook or not that hungry in the morning? Consider investing in a juicer or a blender and make a healthy drink packed full of nutrients to help get your day started. (lots of juicing and smoothie recipes online if you want to search for them).

Eat lunch like a queen and don't eat too late in the day - ideally lunch should be eaten before 2pm.

Eat dinner like a pauper - go easy on the meat, fill up on the veggies.

Stay away from sodas - regular or diet, both are very bad for you.
    And no rewarding yourself with a treat for a good work out.

All of that should help you start losing the weight.