How Many Days Does It Take?

Options
Every once in a while...(Be honest, Sue.) Okay. Nearly every day, I get some crazy thought or question in my head that I feel compelled to follow through to some conclusion.

Today's random thought was "How many days have I been on this current weight loss journey?" I knew that the idea of losing this weight didn't start with me. At this time last year, I would have been content to stay fat forever. I had no delusions about going on any diet...EVER AGAIN. I didn't like my weight, but I didn't think I had it in me to tackle another 'diet'. I still hate that word.

The first day that I had to even think about losing weight was October 31st of last year, when Dr. Kermanshahi (aka Dr. K) told me I had to lose 70 pounds to get new knees. I weighed 270.9 pounds, and that was 234 days ago.

Did I do anything about it? No. I just spent most of November thinking about it and debating whether I wanted to have gastric surgery. It was until the day before Thanksgiving that I even made any effort to lose any part of that 70 pounds.

Ed and I were at his sister Vivian's home for the big feast day, and I knew that she would be putting out a massive spread fit for her 'queen size' sister-in-law. Vivian is a lovely lady who loves me, but she is also a person who loves to feed people, until they can eat no more. I didn't tell anyone that I had made the mental choice to 'limit what I was going to eat' on Thanksgiving Day. That would sound too much like I was on a 'diet', and I had not made up my mind that I really wanted to do that.

When Vivian noticed my very small plate of food which did not contain at least one large helping of every delicious item on that huge buffet, she said something to Ed. I think that she was worried about me feeling sick or something. That's when I heard my darling hubbie tell his sister, "Sue is trying to lose weight so that she can get new knees."

He spoke those words, before I could even acknowledge to myself what I was doing. It was Ed who knew that I had finally made the decision to change how I ate...that I had voluntarily chosen to do something about my weight...not just think about it. That was 233 days ago. I lost 3.4 pounds over that holiday weekend, according to the scale at Vivian's house; and my sister-in-law praised me for my success. Vivian has been my supporter ever since; and now, she is always trying out new low calorie recipes, when we come for a visit.

It wasn't until January 6th that I came to MFP...just to count calories...nothing more. That was 188 days ago. I weighed 251.9 pounds on that day. I had already lost 19 pounds since Thanksgiving, but I wasn't eating 'normal food'. I had only been consuming meal replacement shakes and bars. My doctor wanted me on regular food. So, that's how I got here...just to count calories and nothing more.

I have had lots of landmark events since then. On April 3rd, I hit the half way mark to my surgeon's goal with 35 pounds lost; and that same month, my under pants started falling down. In May, I discovered that I had already lost more than 4 clothing sizes and would not be able to buy my pants at Lane Bryant's much longer, because I was in their smallest size. That was also the month that I gave away most of my old clothes. Yep. I cleared out my closet and bought all new, smaller size clothes for my new body. In June, I got my first swimsuit in more than 50 years and rediscovered my love of swimming. That was also the month that I had my hubbie take some very revealing photos of my body to share with my friends on MFP. That was the day that I got to really see what I had been hiding for so long from the world and myself.

Today, I am 68 years, 5 months and 7 days old. That is 24,994 days of life. It has only taken me a brief 233 days to lose 57.5 pounds; but it has taken me a lifetime to love myself like I do now.

Thanks to MFP and my wonderful MFP sisters, I no longer feel like I must stay fat forever. I have learned to love my body which embarrassed me for most of my long life. I can see my future with goals that are far beyond new knees and my surgeon's weight loss goal of 70 pounds. Onederland is not the end of the road for me anymore.

Today, I have decided to set new goals for myself...beginning with that number on my MFP ticker. It is time for me to acknowledge where I am really heading. 199.9 pounds is NOT the right number for me anymore. That was last year's goal.

My new goal (paraphrasing Buzz Lightyear) is "To ONEDERLAND and BEYOND!"

How many days have you been on this weight loss journey, and what is your goal? Has your attitude changed about who you are and what you truly want from that first day, when you made a choice to just lose some weight?

Replies

• ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    You, my obsessvie/compulsive once a day need-to-succeed sister, are an inspiration, a hero, and a great mathmetician. :-D Keep up the great work!!! I am proud of you!
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    You, my obsessvie/compulsive once a day need-to-succeed sister, are an inspiration, a hero, and a great mathmetician. :-D Keep up the great work!!! I am proud of you!

Oh...I'm not great mathmetician. Out of pure curiosity, I went online to a site that calculates the numbers from one date to another. It was my need to research the question of 'how many days' that took me there. It was fun to let that program figure out my years of life. It even calculated the seconds; but it did not take into account the fact that I was born in Perth, West Australia which is 15 hours ahead of California time. :laugh:
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options

"Today, I am 68 years, 5 months and 7 days old. That is 24,994 days of life. It has only taken me a brief 233 days to lose 57.5 pounds; but it has taken me a lifetime to love myself like I do now. "

AWESOME! Congratulations. Please friend me if you want more friends! I would love to keep seeing how you do! :smile:

Having said that- I was just thinking earlier today about my own journey. I am 51. I got "mad" at myself in December, 2005 (!) because I realized I could no longer fit in my jeans and my weight was way up. Well, for me anyway. So Jan 2, 2006 I went on Slim Fast. I lost a lot of weight - and kept changing my goal because I wasn't happy. I was "between jobs" so I didn't have any money to join a gym, but I did walk my dog every day. Anyway, long story short, eventually I realized I was "skinny fat" because I kept having people tell me they thought I was too thin, while I was looking at a lot of fat between my waist and my knees, you know? SO I started trying to eat more protein but then I just gained back about half the weight I lost. In the end, that's how I found MFP. I have been here since October 2010, and it's been fantastic!
  • kathleennf
    Options
    BTW my present to myself for my 50th birthday was to do real push ups. I had never ever in my entire life been able to do them. Now I can!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Sue, I read your blogs every time they pop up on the side and you are a fantastic lady. And very tech savvy! Doubles kudos!

I believe my login streak in 550 days or so (sadly itll be broken when I go on vacation next week). so january of 2012. But it wasnt a resolution. I just decided to do it. I started off just wanting to lose weight so I wouldnt have a muffin top and so I could fit into my pants.
    My original goal was 128# - what I was my junior year of high school. I'm currently 145# and my new goal is 137# so itll be exactly a 30# loss from when I started on MFP.

But more recently, my goal has changed again. Not weight or body fat percent related at all. My goal is to work on my relationship with food. So I don't eat out of boredom. So I don't feel guilt for the days I go over my goal. So I can figure out intuitive eating so I won't have to count calories forever, so I don't have to weigh and log.

I have changed a bit since I first started. Ive expanded my cooking skill. I don't eat just salads, grilled chicken, and steamed broccoli. Ive figured out tasty and healthy foods now! =]

Good luck on your new knees Sue!
  • cjjgoodwin
    cjjgoodwin Posts: 13
    Options
    loved reading your message. And probably like most people I can relate.

My moment was last Feb, when I was remembering the year before going around Petra and realising that in that year that had pasted I'd put on another stone and my fitness level was at an all time low.

Can't say I've had much joy with the weight loss side, but I'm down one dress size and fitter than I was when I went to Petra.

This is a life choice, so the weight will come off.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I am going to send you a FR - I do so love your posts! 2493 days for me. 60 pounds ago. The "active loss" phase is over; it is about staying healthy and balanced and strong. And helping my family and others be that way, too. Mine started in 2006 when a trip to Disney with the family (kids were really young) that was a struggle to navigate with the extra weight. I was tired of being tired and unhappy with not just my body, but losing weight only to gain it again. We're all sick of the phrase, but "lifestyle change" was my mantra and it still is.

I learned not to be an extremist. Just today I ate 3 Oreos. 6 years ago, it would have been most of the package, with useless time spent in self-loathing. Balance is so important! So now I have to go balance out those Oreos with some exercise. :smile:

You're an inspiration!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Success stories in general are my favorite! Seeing other people meet their goals is a huge motivator for me. Your story honestly almost made me tear up. Wonderfully put! Keep up all the hard work!

For me it has been 396 days of this lifestyle change, 328 days on MFP, and a life time to continue to get healthier, more fit, and enjoy life!
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    BTW my present to myself for my 50th birthday was to do real push ups. I had never ever in my entire life been able to do them. Now I can!

Wow! Real push ups...from the toes?!!! That is wonderful. I can't even imagine that; but then, I couldn't even imagine me in a bathing suit, until I did it. :laugh:
  • kathleennf
    Options

Wow! Real push ups...from the toes?!!! That is wonderful. I can't even imagine that; but then, I couldn't even imagine me in a bathing suit, until I did it. :laugh:

Yeah. It was my embarrassment from the "President's Physical Fitness Test" in high school. That and chin ups. I am still working on the chin ups haha. But I'm young yet!
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    MFP mhs started over on my count, but it wasn't right to start with. This trip started in 2008. I was told I was borderline diabetic and needed to get my weight under control. I started with a personnel trainer and did very well until the summer of 2010 when my husband and decided we were needed to take care of his mother. We left Arizona and came home to Ohio. If you've never been in southeatern Ohio you can't realize how hard it is to find the healthy food that looks appetizing. Also my mother-in-law was a person that wanted all the starch she could hold and a meal in the summer would be 6 ears of corn. Yes I could fix my own meals and I tried to work my stuff in, but it still caught up with me. She passed in 2012 and we went back to AZ. to finalize things there. By this time I had decided that I had to get my butt in gear again and continue this journey. First it was WW then I found MFP. It has been so much of a help and even though I 'm not doing as well as others in the short haul, I have lost a total of 80lbs. thru all of the trails and tribulations that I have encountered. As the trainer used to tell me life does go on and now with two new knees and a reworked shoulder I'm bacck at it. With your lovely post and blogs it keeps my spirits up. Can't wait to see each and every new one.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    But it wasnt a resolution. I just decided to do it. I started off just wanting to lose weight so I wouldnt have a muffin top and so I could fit into my pants.

My goal is to work on my relationship with food. So I don't eat out of boredom. So I don't feel guilt for the days I go over my goal. So I can figure out intuitive eating so I won't have to count calories forever, so I don't have to weigh and log.

I love the phrase 'muffin top'. All those low cut pants that women are wearing now do present a problem for anyone who has even a bit of tummy or hips. Fortunately, I can still wear my pants up to my waist...'cause us older girls aren't expected to put on tight tops and hip hugging pants. I know that I am past the 6 pack abs period in my life. I will be content with a flatter belly and one that doesn't hang over my thighs. :happy:

I am also looking forward to the day, when counting calories will no longer be a daily necessity. However, this period of log my food is giving me wisdom and experience for a better future. Inituitive eating is still a bit risky for me. More than once, I have misjudged the calories in something. I am safer with logging for now; but I am happy for you and your success.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Why are you reposting your blog entries on the regular forums? I appreciate your blogs, but why? Do you really need to reach out to everyone?
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    Mine started in 2006 when a trip to Disney with the family (kids were really young) that was a struggle to navigate with the extra weight. I was tired of being tired and unhappy with not just my body, but losing weight only to gain it again.

Disneyland...My favorite place in the world. I grew up visiting there as a child and continue to be a Disney fan. I can't even begin to count the number of times that I have visited that Magical Place over my lifetime.

In recent years, I have had to rent a scooter to get around the large park. It limited me so much. I could not get into many shops and other areas of Disneyland without feeling like I was driving a truck into a space meant for walking. My weight and bad knees made the whole experience less enjoyable for me.

I am looking forward to the day, when I can visit Disneyland again...only this time without the scooter. :happy:
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    Why are you reposting your blog entries on the regular forums? I appreciate your blogs, but why? Do you really need to reach out to everyone?

Good question. I prefer doing personal blogs, but I found out that there were folks who only read the Community boards...especially newcomers to MFP. It takes some folks a while to discover the blogs. Those folks are looking for encouragement and positive friends on MFP. It is often here on the Community boards that I get most of my friend requests. They are usually people who are just wanting a positive friend on MFP.

Some of my MFP friends have told me that they were hurt by some of the nasty comments and negativity that they first encountered on the MFP posts (the Community board posts). It has happened to me as well. Despite that experience, I try to put a few posts here that will be positive and less likely to attract negative comments. Some of my blogs will never be posted here, because I know that they would invited rude or negative comments. Those topics are better left in the blogs.

I have been blessed with success in MFP; and I want to share that with other people who are still struggling or just beginning their weight loss journey...to reach out to them...yes...all of them. There might me someone out there who is just like I was last year, wondering if they have it in themselves to try and lose weight again. So...I chose to put some of my thoughts in both my blogs and here on the boards...especially if they might 'motivate' someone to get started or keep going. That's why this post is on the 'Motivation' board and in my blogs.

I hope that is not a problem for you or anyone else.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    First it was WW then I found MFP. It has been so much of a help and even though I 'm not doing as well as others in the short haul, I have lost a total of 80lbs. thru all of the trails and tribulations that I have encountered. As the trainer used to tell me life does go on and now with two new knees and a reworked shoulder I'm bacck at it. With your lovely post and blogs it keeps my spirits up. Can't wait to see each and every new one.

You are doing wonderful, my sweet friend.

I know that you have had double knee surgery; and you know that is in my future. I am hoping those surgeries it will make a real difference in how I will live the rest of my life. Your experience will be a blessing to me, when I reach my surgery and recovery period.
  • jan3974
    jan3974 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    your def an inspiration! thanks for sharing
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    Success stories in general are my favorite! Seeing other people meet their goals is a huge motivator for me. Your story honestly almost made me tear up. Wonderfully put! Keep up all the hard work!

For me it has been 396 days of this lifestyle change, 328 days on MFP, and a life time to continue to get healthier, more fit, and enjoy life!

Your success is wonderful and inspiring for me.
  • noriri
    noriri Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    noriri wrote 14 minutes ago:
    You are such a sweetheart! Today is 319 for me. I have dieted over and over throughout the years, but never developed the mindset that I have this time. I know that you "Sue" are a fellow christian and will appreciate "I can do all things through Christ". It is my belief that he gives me the strength to meet the daily challanges. I wake up every morning and thank him for giving me the strength beyond what is normal to remain steadfast. To date, I have lost 43 lbs. As I mentioned in another recent blog I hit a plateau mid March, and tried various things to break it but was unsuccessful. In that time my weight would fluctuate "upwards" as much as 8 lbs. which was very discouraging, however I did not allow it to deter me. I still met each day the same way, keeping my diary, exercising etc. I knew eventually things would have to change. I am happy to report I am still at my lowest weight since mid March. I definitely look/feel much better all away around that 320 days ago. I don't think I will meet my initial long term goal by my one year anniversary, but I am working hard at getting close. Either way, I have made significant changes with my diet and exercise, and feel a great sence of satisfaction. When you come across a pal who is truly inspiring, it gives you the drive to continue, as well. You are one such pal. Thank you.
  • Angkev03
    Angkev03 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I pray hanford rose, that this is my final time on the roller coaster of weight loss. My dr. told me in April that I had a fatty liver and fat in my lower right side aorta. I sat on that statement from him for about 4 months. Always in the back of my mind and scared I was going to die and leave my family early. God has always been with me and my joy and encourager.
    I am 42 (in august) And remember being a little fat girl whose dad and grandma enrolled into a weight class at the age of 8. I mostly crawled around on the floor and looked for things to do while the other, much older, women weighed in and such.
    So, is this it for me, will I finally realize that I can be healthy and stay on track eating better? I do so pray so.
    Thank you for your encouraging words and all your posts and for your friendship on here.
    Applejax89 aka Angie