Low carb, healthy, quick dinners

megganxrose
megganxrose Posts: 30 Member
I need some ideas for healthy, quick low/no carb dinners. We typically eat no (or very little) carbs at dinner (carbs from veggies are fine, I mean more refined carbs like pasta, rice, etc). So it's generally just meat or seafood and veggies, but I'm starting to get sick of grilled chicken/steak with zucchini, asparagus, broccoli, etc. I don't have a lot of time after work between cooking, cleaning, gym, etc, so give me some inspiration! I have a ton of meals that take a while to prep/cook, but I'm looking for some relatively quick meals.

Here's a few of my favorite low carb go-to dinners that aren't "grilled meat/fish with a vegetable"

"Taco" Salad (ground turkey w/ taco seasoning, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, olives, a little shredded mexican cheese, jalapenos, onions, sometimes beans, and a drizzle of sauce made out of greek yogurt, hot sauce, cilantro, lemon or lime, avocado, Sazon).

Spaghetti Squash w/ sauce (we're Italian, has to be homemade..if I don't have time to make it then I'll just throw a can of crushed tomatoes on the stove, throw in some fresh tomatoes, seasoning, garlic) and I'll throw ground turkey and fresh parm on top.

Chicken Burrito Bowls (chipotle inspired) -- grilled chicken, homemade cilantro lime rice, homemade pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, a little shredded montery jack cheese, pinto beans

Replies

• Love_Is_My_Fuel
    Love_Is_My_Fuel Posts: 211 Member
    bump...need recipes too
  • My favourite is 3 Bean Chilli: heaps of protein from the beans and flavour from the spices, really quick and cheap, freezes brilliantly. I am vegetarian, but I guess you could add meat to this if you want? It's good on its own but really good with brown rice!

Serves 4, takes 15-30 minutes
    420g can kidney beans in chilli sauce
    400g can chopped tomatoes
    410g can haricot beans, drained
    410g can adzuki beans, drained
    1 tbsp oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1 garlic clove, chopped
    1 tsp chilli powder
    1 tsp sugarpinch of salt
    I also add cumin powder, coriander powder and smoked paprika, but that's cause I'm addicted to smoked paprika :P

1)In a large saucepan heat the oil, add the onion and garlic and fry for five minutes until the onions are soft and golden.

2)Add the chilli powder (and any other spices) and fry for a further minute. Add the kidney beans in chilli sauce, tomatoes, haricot beans, adzuki beans, salt and sugar, then stir thoroughly to combine.

3)Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.

On MFP, one serving of this worked out at: 224kcal, 36g carbs, 5g fat, 1g, sat fat, 14g protein, 14g fibre.
  • megganxrose
    megganxrose Posts: 30 Member
    Just made dinner..made a "burger"

Grilled a portobello mushroom cap (marinaded for 15 mins in balsamic, EVOO, salt, garlic, and oregano) topped it with a slice of low fat pepperjack cheese, fresh jalapeno, and a runny egg. Side of sautéed mushrooms (I know, mushroom overload. Had a container of sliced mushrooms that I had to use. The flavors were very different so it totally didn't feel like a meal of mushrooms haha). Had the "burger" over spring mix with a drizzle of Trader Joe's cilantro salad dressing. So good! My boyfriend loved it, too.
  • How about grilled shrimp. Thats what i am having for dinner.:smile:

4 large

Calories = 30
    Fat = 0.48g
    Carbs = 0.25g
    protein = 5.69g
  • Lorijp
    Lorijp Posts: 47 Member
    Crockpot Chicken--Awesome

4 frozen chicken breast
    1 pkg taco seasoning
    1 pkg ranch dry mix
    1 jar of salsa
    Cheese--You determine how much you want. I have used shredded weight watchers cheese or velveeta cheese

Spray crockpot with pam then place frozen chicken. Mix the remaining ingriendient excluding cheese. Pour over chicken and cook 4-6 hours. Take a fork and shred chicken then add cheese. When cheese is melted it's done. Delicious! You can eat by itself or on Joseph's pita bread--low carb,fat and calories. Very good. I toast my pita bread in a skillet by spraying pam in it and toast each side or fold it and toast it.

Really any meat works good: Steak/pork chops/cubed steak

1 can condensed cream of mushroom--fat free low sodium
    1 can condensed cream of chicken--fat free low sodium
    1 envelope of lipton onion soup mix

Spray crockpot with pam, place meat. Mix all ingredients and pour over meat. Cook 4-6 hours.

Rump beef or pork Roast

Place roast in crockpot after seasoning with season salt, onion & garlic powder, pepper, --Add veggies (carrots, celery, onions...)
    Optional: Lipton onion soup mix beef flavor --I don't always use this
    Cook 6-8 hours--Roast will fall apart

Tuna patties are something thats low carb high protein

Marinate Chicken breast in Zesty Italian Dressing (4-6 or over night)
    Then grill, bake or with light Olive oil cook on stove top. I cook mine in my Nuwave Oven so oil is not needed. Very good and hardly no prep time.

Cream cheese pancakes
    208 calories, 6.6 carbs, 6.2 sugar and 20 protein

2 oz fat free cream cheese
    2 eggs
    1/2 tsp cinommon

Mix all ingredients and pour in HOT skillet. They are best if skillet is hot--they make fuller pancakes. Thin pancakes if skillet is not hot.
    Top with sugar free coolwhip or cinommon, fruit (I microwave frozen fruit and top), peanut butter (I think this would be yummy)
  • Lorijp
    Lorijp Posts: 47 Member
    I thought of another recipe.

Joseph's pita bread heart healthy oat bran
    Pizza sauce
    Parmesan chz
    Pizza cheeze

On stove top spray pan with pam and toast pita bread. Then top with pizza sauce, your favorite meat topping--pepperoni, canadian bacon, ect, parmesan chz and kraft pizza cheese, bake in oven.