Replies

• hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    0UWKgoH.gif
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    LOL yeah not your fault you just did not grow up in that kind of environment to understand

ill take stats over your anecdotes. :)
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    0UWKgoH.gif

lol could use a little Mugatu too.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I never agreed with the 2nd degree murder charge. I felt he should have been charged with manslaughter from the beginning, and I think he would have been found guilty had this been the case. So, not only has the jury failed here, but the prosecution failed even more.

like it or not, florida law says the use of deadly force is allowed if there is a reasonable belief of great bodily harm. nothing in the law says anything about whether or not a situation was brought about by the shooter's actions.

florida law defines manslaughter as an intentional killing that is not justified or excusable.

the law prevents conviction of manslaughter if the jury believes there was reasonable fear.

so, explain to me ... where did the jury fail?
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    my views are as follows:

America: you want to marry the same sex?? LOL no.
    America: you want to have control of your body and do what you think is best??? HAHAHAAHAHAH no.
    America: you want to racially profile a teenage boy and then kill him?? okay cool!

You do know that they were BOTH minority-race, right? Zimmerman isn't "white"....

You do know that you DO NOT have to be white to racially profile right???
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    florida sucks
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    i dont expect any civil unrest as a result of this...but i wonder if social media gives people an outlet to vent so that the likelihood of something occuring is lower than w/o it?
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    florida sucks

lets not get crazy now..florida has great beaches...and Miami is absolutely fantastic for so many reason....and dont get me started on the wonderful Keys.
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    i was hoping for a conviction...

but if zimmerman didnt do anything legally wrong he sure did something morally wrong.

that idiot killed a teen because he was losing a fight.

at least Zimmerman's life will suck and he'll always have to look over his shoulder.

if he was beating a cop like that the cop would have shot him as well, so the citizen has every right to defend him self crazy stuff happens in fights and you could end up dead you never know better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

either way its morally wrong. zimmerman is a sad pathetic man who decided to kill someone over a fight.

im pretty pro gun but if what he did is legal i am giong to have to rethink that. if he didnt have a gun Martin would be alive.

yeah, Martin would be alive and Zimmerman might have been dead after being beat. I guess that would be ok...
  • Tercob
    Tercob Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Interesting that everyone is saying no evidence etc to convict rather than evidence showing innocence...

They don't have to prove him innocent, they were supposed to prove guilty
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    yeah, Martin would be alive and Zimmerman might have been dead after being beat. I guess that would be ok...

odds are zimmerman would be bloody and bruised and would have gone home crying...but since he had a gun...
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options

but if zimmerman didnt do anything legally wrong he sure did something morally wrong.

at least Zimmerman's life will suck and he'll always have to look over his shoulder.

if he was beating a cop like that the cop would have shot him as well, so the citizen has every right to defend him self crazy stuff happens in fights and you could end up dead you never know better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

either way its morally wrong. zimmerman is a sad pathetic man who decided to kill someone over a fight.

im pretty pro gun but if what he did is legal i am giong to have to rethink that. if he didnt have a gun Martin would be alive.

trayvon wasnt the aggressor

eff yall and your opinions
  • Jennyflies
    Jennyflies Posts: 94 Member
    Options

But I wonder if Zimmerman would be alive.

Not playing devil's advocate, just considering the possibilities.

Unless the kid was planning on killing him with a pack of Skittles (the only thing found on his body), I rather think the body count would have been zero.

Didnt he have like a huge part of concrete? Pretty sure they had it as evidence to support the self defense claim
  • simplyciera
    simplyciera Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If anything, this case shows the change that needs to be done to the laws and judicial system. My best friend is in law school & we argue that alot of times, a case is won based on semantics, emotional appeal & a lawyer/prosecuter that is much smarter than the jury & takes advantage of that fact. It has very little to do with facts.

I wasn't surprised by the verdict. I knew it was going to happen. It's unfortunate & I pray for the family. We need to remember that a mother & family is mourning & we should have respect for that.

ETA: I'm getting my masters in Pysch, specifically Behavioral Science, so I argue the emotional side. She argues the legal side.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Not guilty. Just like O.J.
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member
    Options

trayvon wasnt the aggressor

eff yall and your opinions

Apparently he was, if he wasn't then Zimmerman would have been found guilty of at least manslaughter. Both had the right to be there, there is no law saying you cant follow and watch someone. Martin initiated the aggression and Zimmerman defended himself. Like it or not.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Not guilty. Just like O.J.

Wait, there were gloves involved in this case?
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options

But I wonder if Zimmerman would be alive.

Not playing devil's advocate, just considering the possibilities.

Unless the kid was planning on killing him with a pack of Skittles (the only thing found on his body), I rather think the body count would have been zero.

Didnt he have like a huge part of concrete? Pretty sure they had it as evidence to support the self defense claim

One thing I'm wondering, as I didn't follow the case too closely, is why would the stand your ground laws not be applied to what TM did? He was being followed (read: stalked) by someone, so what if he felt that HIS life was in danger?
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    They both ****ed up

and one is dead

don't do drugs
  • tiffysinc
    tiffysinc Posts: 13
    Options
    One quick thing before I get into my opinion on this case:
    I hate the term "race card" as it seems to invalidate situations where racism is actually an issue. This case and the events leading to it were racially charged, plain and simple. This isn't about pulling the "race card". Was there racial profiling involved? Some people agree, some don't. I personally think that, had Trayvon Martin not been black not from the area he was, Zimmerman probably wouldn't have feared for his life seeing a teenager walking at night with a bag of skittles and some juice. But that's my opinion; you're free to disagree if you wish.

Having watched the trial from the beginning, I'm not surprised at the verdict; the prosecution was shoddy, the witnesses were unfocused, and the judge's decisions of what evidence to allow seemed to work in favor of the defense. All of these factors came together and made for a crappy case and crappy verdict. Zimmerman is free, and that's that. I'm upset but, bound by the law, there's nothing I can do about it. Will there be backlash? My money's on yes.

What I have the problem with, however, is the behavior of Zimmerman and his lawyer (mostly the lawyer) after the trial. No matter what may have happened during this trial and what may have been said, the overarching point of this entire situation is a 17 year old kid is dead and nothing will bring him back. Knowing that, I'd hope Zimmerman and his lawyer would at least have the decency to at least PRETEND to be contrite. But no. Zimmerman smiled like a fool and his lawyer laughed, cracked jokes, insulted the prosecution, and made a complete *kitten* of himself. I think those acts will breed a lot of negative feelings towards this case, despite what side you may stand with. Very few people involved with this trial conducted themselves with decency and decorum (on either the defense or the prosecution) and I find that disappointing and disheartening.
This discussion has been closed.