New to this, please help!

Options
Hello everyone!

I'm sure this has been asked a lot, but I really need help with my diet!
I was doing some research online, and I am trying to lose 5lbs a week. This is something I have discussed with a doctor and they said it's okay. My BMR is about 1,600cal. I know that a pound is 3,500cal and that means in order for me to lose 5lbs a week I must end the day with a net of -900? This sounds so impossible, I'm sure I'll have to alter my diet. I know it's unhealthy and that I may "end up flabby" but I'm more curious than anything.
THANK YOU for your help!

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is wrong. Dangerously so. A negative 900 (or even 900 total) is at medical starvation levels. And at NO POINT should you ever net NEGATIVE. That's essentially eating NO FOOD whatsoever. That's not a diet, that's called starvation.

If you eat a deficit - just smaller amounts (use MFP's guided goal settings to start with) you will not only lose weight, but be healthier. There is no need to starve yourself. 5 pounds a week is also very unlikely. A body will adapt to your weight loss and eventually slow down. That's okay, too.

You didn't get overweight in a few months, it won't happen to come off in a few months.

Please, please do not net -900 a day. Go to "My Home", click on "My Goals" and see what MFP puts you at for a 2 pound a week loss.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Sigh :noway
    Dr has gotta be a quack
    What is the rush? Not that you can lose 5 lbs a week and live thru it...for sure can't maintain keeping it off, just my thoughts here.
    You only have what, 78 lbs to lose?
    Why would you want to eat so unhealthy? :frown:
    Do it the right way, learn how to eat , how to lose and how to maintain that loss
    Just sayin'
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Run, do not walk, away from that idiot of a doctor. Only a complete and utter moron would suggest something like that. It is a physical impossibility. To lose 5 pounds a week you would need to be at a deficit of 2500 calories a day. Your metabolism would shut down, and you could never, EVER do it. Anything more than 2 is a virtual impossibility, at least for any thing of time. So you may want to lose 5 pounds a week. I want to have a unicorn in my garden when I wake up. That ain't happening either.
  • melfitnesspal13
    melfitnesspal13 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Run, do not walk, away from that idiot of a doctor. Only a complete and utter moron would suggest something like that. It is a physical impossibility. To lose 5 pounds a week you would need to be at a deficit of 2500 calories a day. Your metabolism would shut down, and you could never, EVER do it. Anything more than 2 is a virtual impossibility, at least for any thing of time. So you may want to lose 5 pounds a week. I want to have a unicorn in my garden when I wake up. That ain't happening either.

Love this answer with the unicorn, "when donkey's fly"... Seriously, you must be desperately looking for a quick way out, which we all know doesn't exist. Set your calories with MFP, increase your exercise to 5-6 days a week, at least a hardcore 60 mins and drink more (ONLY) water. You will see the results and they will be steady. Log every single bite, taste, meal you put in your body, no cheating yourself here. Finally...read the posts here to keep you motivated. Wishing you the best!!!...............:flowerforyou:
  • tiffysinc
    tiffysinc Posts: 13
    Options
    Sorry, but that's impossible to maintain and still be healthy! I'm currently watching the "when pigs fly" geico commercial and I gotta tell you it's even more impossible than a pig using a smart phone. I've only ever seen that sort of diet in cases with extremely obese people who need to lose weight to get surgery.

I went through a brief period of time where I lost about 1lb a day for a total of 15lbs in 2 weeks. I didn't do it originally for the weight loss; I was depressed and realized how much weight I was losing and wanted to see how long I could do it for. From personal experience I'll tell you that you can't maintain that. I gained 5lbs as soon as I ate a normal meal. Stick to diet and exercise and lose weight slowly and steadily. The quicker you lose it, the quicker it piles back on.

Get a new doctor; from what I can see, even google is better informed than your current one.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    That sounds like one of the worst ideas ever.

Set your calorie goal to your BMR and eat back your exercise calories so you NET your BMR. Start lifting weights or doing some sort of strength training. Weight will come off gradually but you will be able to eat wonderful, nutritious foods and have room for a treat every now and then. If you eat sufficient protein and lift weights, you will lose less lean body mass and more fat.
  • janinealfke
    Options
    Hi,

Feel free to add me. What you are trying to do can be done, but it takes a deep committment and sticktoitiveness...you can do it. I did. I lost 110 lbs in about 10 mos, before my RNY Gastric bypass on 7/30/2012. I eat less than 900 calories almost every day of my life. I don't recommend that for you unless you have weight loss surgery. It puts your body in starvation mode...I'll be happy to help in any way I can. You can do it....I'm down 280lbs so far and still losing.

Hang in there,

Janine Alfke:wink:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Oh mercy. This sounds like the worst idea I've heard all day. I hope your Dr., as completely incompetent as he sounds, is watching you very closely during this experiment. I can't even imagine all the medical problems that will arise when you're trying to survive on absolutely no fuel. Of course there's the strong possibility you could end up hospitalized so then you'd be under proper care.
  • ninnyfurr74
    ninnyfurr74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I was reading all the reply's and realized they all come off as extremely negative(save one). We are all here to encourage and help one another, including you, so please don't take it badly. I think you just shocked everyone. While don't know if what you are suggesting is possible, I do know it is extremely unhealthy. You could make yourself really sick trying, and it isn't sustainable. Eventually you have to go back to real life and real food. You would be much better off learning to eat healthy and in moderation. Slow and steady really does win the race here hunny. We would all love to lose years of weight gain in a few weeks or months but what's the point if we sacrifice our health to do it? We are here for you for motivation and support and we arent' going anywhere to take it slow! Feel free to friend me!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Please don't do this crazy thing. You will hurt yourself. And you will put all the weight back on..with interest. Do it the healthy way. (Plus...do you really want to go through life only eating enough to keep a bird alive? Food is good. Food is good for you. Food is not the enemy.)