Taking somebody's Rush virginity

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    We are a rare breed! To be fair, JAD is just here for shenanigans and virgins.

Hey, hey, I like Rush, too. You are talking about Paula Abdul's song, right? See I know GOOOOOOD music.
    PAULAABDULRUSHRUSH_zpsa8f580c8.jpg

*snort*
  • I'd start with Fly By Night - It has Neil, but it's still an easily accessible rock record, and a great jumping in point for their later, more proggy stuff.
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Mine was "Time Stand Still".....

I remember seeing that music video and thinking "dafuq?!" Lol. I might suggest that to her as a song to check into other than those on whatever album she chooses.
  • amckenny
    amckenny Posts: 22 Member
    I've found that Clockwork Angels has worked well to turn people onto Rush with songs like The Wreckers, Halo Effect, Wish Them Well, and The Garden which are easily palatable to people who are still stuck on the pop/pop rock side of things. Naturally, you'll want to move her into the more Rush-like songs, but for a first impression those are pretty safe.

Of course if she is already into progressive rock, the options widen up significantly.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Geddy still in screech-owl mode, fantasy lyrics, etc.
    That is what makes the early albums so intense. Wonders in the world they WROOOOOOOUGHT
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member

I remember seeing that music video and thinking "dafuq?!" Lol. I might suggest that to her as a song to check into other than those on whatever album she chooses.

I've never seen the video...isn't it funny how sometimes seeing the video for a song COMPLETELY alters your experience of a song, usually for the worse? Mine was "Talking In Your Sleep" by The Romantics. I just could not get past that short unattractive guy with the bad hair in that head-to-toe leather. BLECH! And I've never been able to get into The Eurythmics because the video for "Sweet Dreams" was a "dafuq?" moment for me at 13.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Srsly. Limelight. Any album that has that whether originally or as part of a compilation or "best of" or kidzbop for that matter.... I don't see how anyone could say "I don't get it", after Limelight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngzWoc6W5uQ
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    I'm only familiar with the songs you mention from the album Moving Pictures because I was a teenager in the eighties. My husband loves the band and we are going to their concert in two weeks. I'm listening to them as I read this thread and thinking I should expose myself to more of their music before the concert!
  • BathtubBadger
    BathtubBadger Posts: 217 Member
    Women listen to Rush...shocking. Next you'll tell me they like brutal death metal too.

I have every Rush album(yes vinyl) up til Moving Pictures. Didn't like the direction they took after that. I like music that makes me want to fight, f&*%, or take my mind on an adventure...the albums after Moving Pictures did none of those things.

Well hello there... Would you like to splice?

3CGa4.jpg
  • BenchPressingCats
    I'm only familiar with the songs you mention from the album Moving Pictures because I was a teenager in the eighties. My husband loves the band and we are going to their concert in two weeks. I'm listening to them as I read this thread and thinking I should expose myself to more of their music before the concert!

YES YOU SHOULD!
  • MyChocolateDiet

Aw!

lighter_at_concert.jpg
  • BenchPressingCats
    Srsly. Limelight. Any album that has that whether originally or as part of a compilation or "best of" or kidzbop for that matter.... I don't see how anyone could say "I don't get it", after Limelight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngzWoc6W5uQ

I don't know how people could "not get" Rush in general. But I'm obviously skewed.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    by the way OP thanks for saving me from 8tracks.com and grooveshark this morning
  • MyChocolateDiet

I've never seen the video...isn't it funny how sometimes seeing the video for a song COMPLETELY alters your experience of a song, usually for the worse? Mine was "Talking In Your Sleep" by The Romantics. I just could not get past that short unattractive guy with the bad hair in that head-to-toe leather. BLECH! And I've never been able to get into The Eurythmics because the video for "Sweet Dreams" was a "dafuq?" moment for me at 13.

this is a strange phenomenon. currently, thrift shop by macklemore was tainted by the video. I was digging mental images of grandpa's and recliners with crochet doilies on them, peach faded velour jumpsuits, and kangols....then uh, oh it's fur coats and checkered vans, I see, so sorry... carry on.

i think it's the principle of withheld image from writing...but transferred to music form. in fact in general i think most art benefits from being stand alone. the whole "art is subjective" loses more and more of that punch when another sense is added to it.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    They are really awesome:). The guitar and drums in Fly by Night are impressive. They definately have a signature sound.
    I think I know how I'm going to spend my Sunday now:)
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    I lost mine to Anthem on Fly By Night in the 70s, like when it was released. I was at a friend's house and he asked if I'd heard RUSH yet (I hadn't). He put Anthem on and I was blown away. Same guy turned me on to UFO, AC/DC and Blue Oyster Cult. Cool friend.:drinker:

Having said that I think 2112 would be a great choice to introduce someone to RUSH, then the debut. It is a kickass, solid album. R.I.P. John Rutsey.

Say "Geddy Lee!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbC8BHHeZZ0
  • BathtubBadger
    BathtubBadger Posts: 217 Member
    I'm bumping your thread because I love you, BPC! :flowerforyou:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Rush is a musical group of some sort? What a relief. I was afraid this was a plug for that azzhole pompous windbag, Rush Self-important Loser.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    I just wanted to say Tom Sawyer came on while I was reading this thread. And Rush was the first concert I ever saw (Moving Pictures) and that I grew up in the same neighbourhood as Geddy.

Carry on your deflowering.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    derail.jpg