Does anyone forgo breakfast?

Options

Replies

• PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I find the earlier I start eating in the day, the hungrier I am all day long. I skip breakfast fairly often and I try to delay it as long as possible on the days I do eat it.

Me too!!! I'm happy with coffee in the morning. I've been forcing myself to have a protein shake (180 calories) or some fruit to start the day. I'm glad to see somebody else feels this way. I make myself eat because everybody tells me it's better, but I might stop now that I've seen these comments. :)
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I hate skipping breakfast, but there are times I wake up and only have enough time to get dressed before work.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Depends on how I feel. If I'm hungry I eat breakfast, if I'm not, I either wait til lunch or have a snack later in the morning. It's a myth that you need to eat breakfast to jumpstart your metabolism, or whatever it is some people believe.
  • awkwardly8
    awkwardly8 Posts: 10
    Options
    Anything that is deemed good or bad, I take with a grain of salt (which is, what, good or bad now)? Drink milk, don't drink milk. Fat is bad, fat is good. Breakfast is good, breakfast doesn't matter, it'll all change again in a week anyhow with whatever the latest diet craze is.

I'm not a breakfast person because I'm usually not hungry when I wake up.

However, if I am hungry, or if somebody has made some sort of delicious coffee cake or other breakfast goodies, I will eat.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I cringe everytime I hear about someone skipping breakfast or anyone advising that one should skip breakfast. You obviously know how important it is to your health, so try just having a piece of fruit or a handful of almonds on your way out the door in the morning. Not only is it good for your metabolism, but breakfast is giving you the substantial amount of energy that your body needs to work through the morning. Please eat something!

please post a study showing that "eating breakfast is important to your health". Breakfast has nothing to do with metabolism.

How do people do IF/Lean Gains, skip breakfast, and get absolutely shredded??

exactly. whether i eat at 9am "breakfast" (when im not hungry at all) or wait until 11am "lunch" when i finally get hungry) my body only known one thing... "i told her i was hungry, and shes feeding me..."
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I forgo breakfast all the time. I am never hungry until closer to lunch. Why force myself to eat. There is no proof in the timing of meals to weight loss. Guess you could say I'm living proof with losing 110 pounds in a year and not eating breakfast.
  • kaseyAnne425
    kaseyAnne425 Posts: 230
    Options
    I cringe everytime I hear about someone skipping breakfast or anyone advising that one should skip breakfast. You obviously know how important it is to your health, so try just having a piece of fruit or a handful of almonds on your way out the door in the morning. Not only is it good for your metabolism, but breakfast is giving you the substantial amount of energy that your body needs to work through the morning. Please eat something!

please post a study showing that "eating breakfast is important to your health". Breakfast has nothing to do with metabolism.

There are SEVERAL articles that suggest eating breakfast is important to your health.. People who eat breakfast tend to weigh less than people who skip.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/many-benefits-breakfast

Also..

"Some people skip breakfast in an effort to lose weight, but the practice is more likely to cause weight gain than weight loss. Skipping breakfast is strongly linked to the development of obesity. Studies show that overweight and obese children, adolescents, and adults are less likely to break the fast each morning than their thinner counterparts.

According to research, skipping meals, especially breakfast, can actually make weight control more difficult. Breakfast skippers tend to eat more food than usual at the next meal or nibble on high-calorie snacks to stave off hunger. Several studies suggest that people tend to accumulate more body fat when they eat fewer, larger meals than when they eat the same number of calories in smaller, more frequent meals."
  • raydolph
    raydolph Posts: 43
    Options
    As long as you are still eating a deficit for the day, what does it matter whether you eat more at lunch because you skipped breakfast?
  • londonboyben
    londonboyben Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    ooh, snap,
    i posted the question on my wall earlier wether its a good or bad thing to skip breakfast, was thinking of trying it to keep daily calories down

got lots of comments saying definitely not a good idea, and as my mfp pals are a good bunch i am throwing the idea out of the window

thought it was a good plan before i posted lol :)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I eat when I get hungry, if that's breakfast then I'll eat something, but usually it's not until after 12 or 1 that I eat. For some people eating at set times and 3 meals a day works best for them. But seriously why eat if your not hungry.
  • RhineDHP
    Options

There are SEVERAL articles that suggest eating breakfast is important to your health.. People who eat breakfast tend to weigh less than people who skip.

Also..

"Some people skip breakfast in an effort to lose weight, but the practice is more likely to cause weight gain than weight loss. Skipping breakfast is strongly linked to the development of obesity. Studies show that overweight and obese children, adolescents, and adults are less likely to break the fast each morning than their thinner counterparts.

According to research, skipping meals, especially breakfast, can actually make weight control more difficult. Breakfast skippers tend to eat more food than usual at the next meal or nibble on high-calorie snacks to stave off hunger. Several studies suggest that people tend to accumulate more body fat when they eat fewer, larger meals than when they eat the same number of calories in smaller, more frequent meals."

That and the whole cognitive function thing. Why do you think they gave us kids muffins and bananas and milk during STAR testing?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Also..

I specifically said earlier that if skipping breakfast is going to make you binge later in the day then you should not skip it.

My argument is that breakfast has absolutely nothing to do with metabolism. And the whole "breakfast is the most important meal of the day BS" is just a marketing ploy that Kellogg's, quaker, etc etc use to get people to buy all their products.

Also, about 90% of the country eats breakfast and 35% of the country is obese...hmmmmmm

www.leangains.com has all the studies ...
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options
    As long as you are still eating a deficit for the day, what does it matter whether you eat more at lunch because you skipped breakfast?

It absolutely doesn't matter if you are making up for a missed meal in another meal, but the point is you're losing the energy you need in the morning by skipping those nutrients!
  • RhineDHP
    Options
    ooh, snap,
    i posted the question on my wall earlier wether its a good or bad thing to skip breakfast, was thinking of trying it to keep daily calories down

got lots of comments saying definitely not a good idea, and as my mfp pals are a good bunch i am throwing the idea out of the window

thought it was a good plan before i posted lol :)

Lol, you'll find that people can get very defensive about their food and liquid choices. Such is the way of MFP drama!
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    "Some people skip breakfast in an effort to lose weight, but the practice is more likely to cause weight gain than weight loss."

I take from this to not skip it if you're hungry, but if you're hungry eat it. I always eat breakfast b/c I am hungry in the morning, but remember growing up never being hungry until lunch. Now my oldest son is doing that and I nag him to eat breakfast, but maybe I shouldn't be.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Also..

That and the whole cognitive function thing. Why do you think they gave us kids muffins and bananas and milk during STAR testing?

I was never given food before tests in school and I did just fine..

I skipped breakfast for about 8 months when I was doing IF and I ran my business quite well during that time period.
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options

Also..

I specifically said earlier that if skipping breakfast is going to make you binge later in the day then you should not skip it.

My argument is that breakfast has absolutely nothing to do with metabolism. And the whole "breakfast is the most important meal of the day BS" is just a marketing ploy that Kellogg's, quaker, etc etc use to get people to buy all their products.

Also, about 90% of the country eats breakfast and 35% of the country is obese...hmmmmmm

www.leangains.com has all the studies ...

When I skip breakfast (which is rare) I find myself extremely shaky and with NO energy by the time lunch rolls around. It may have nothing to do with metabolism but I stand by the fact that you feel better having that first meal in you. Obviously, studies have also proven that to be true.
  • ndj1979
    Options

It absolutely doesn't matter if you are making up for a missed meal in another meal, but the point is you're losing the energy you need in the morning by skipping those nutrients!

umm no ...

Again, I skipped breakfast for 8 months and had no issues with energy...I actually found that I had more energy when weight training fasted.....
  • carchie94
    carchie94 Posts: 45
    Options

Also..

Does this have anything to do with metabolism? Or people simply not eating even though they're hungry and binging later?

Kind of like shopping on an empty stomach. Eat if you're hungry. Don't eat if you're not hungry. If you're smart about it, that's basic common sense. I find that if I eat breakfast, I end up getting hungry later on in the day, but I can't have the huge dinner I want b/c I essentially wasted my calories in the morning when I wasn't even hungry. Your metabolism is always working. If it wasn't, you'd be dead. There's no such thing as a kickstart. Changes in metabolism happen quite slowly. Unless you're taking drugs, that is.

If I eat small meals all day, I end up spending all day hungry.
  • daniellewillson3
    Options
    I do my workouts in the morning so I really need something to eat after that. Usually it's cereal with almond milk, oatmeal or some whole wheat toast :-)