"cheating"

Options
So I was reading on prior posts that people don’t log their “cheating” days. But my thoughts are... Is this not deceiving anyone but you? I also have days I go above and beyond my “goal” for the day…. But if I don’t log everything I consume for the day… aren’t I just deceiving myself? How can I possibly track & acknowledge what I’ve done, if I don’t admit it to myself? I’m stating fat because of me & my choices… & I can’t hide it from myself or anyone else!

Replies

• leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    So I was reading on prior posts that people don’t log their “cheating” days. But my thoughts are... Is this not deceiving anyone but you? I also have days I go above and beyond my “goal” for the day…. But if I don’t log everything I consume for the day… aren’t I just deceiving myself? How can I possibly track & acknowledge what I’ve done, if I don’t admit it to myself? I’m stating fat because of me & my choices… & I can’t hide it from myself or anyone else!
    ^^^ This.

Absolutely correct. Shakespeare said it best: "to thine own self be true". Cheating isn't bad. I prefer to call it treating rather than cheating. Rewarding yourself for a job well done isn't cheating. Taking time to enjoy what you've accomplished is important. Losing weight, this journey we are on, isn't some sort of cosmic punishment from which we never recover, like Sysiphus. But knowledge is power and knowing how much you treated yourself is important too. So I agree with everything you said.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I agree. I log everything. The good, the bad and the ugly....
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I personally never, ever use the world CHEAT.
    I think it goes back to the all or nothing mentality. If you eat too much one day, call it a slip up and move on. CHEAT is such a negative word. I also never call a food BAD, or say I AM BAD because I am NOT bad if I overeat. Any food in moderation won't kill you.
    There will be days/meals you will eat more than others. If you call yourself bad or say you're a cheater, then the negative semantics will just beat you down.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't even like the word cheating as it implies you've done something wrong. We are all human. There will be days that we eat over our calorie allotment. You aren't going to not eat pizza or cake or chips or whatever for the rest of your life. It happens and I wouldn't want it any other way.

The real question is, you've gone over your calories. Now what? Do you give up or do you take a walk? Do you ignore it by not logging, or do you acknowledge it and lower your calories for the rest of the week? Do you use it as an excuse to fall off the wagon or as proof that everything in moderation is sustainable in the long term.

IMHO, not logging it is the cheating... not the eating it!
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    "What you eat in private shows in public" is how the saying goes I think.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    heh see my comment above... great minds and all
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Exactly.

I log everything, helps me learn about food and make good decisions. Keeps me accountable and it helps to know how much one cookie is (for example). I don't actually have whole cheat "days", because that is asking for trouble in my opinion. If I know I'll be eating out I will plan as well as I can around it. Same thing if there's a holiday or a family get-together that includes major eating... I'll plan, adjust, exercise, eat well around that period of time... and hey, I'm still going to make good decisions with cheat meals!

Unless I really don't have access to MFP, sometimes I still try to write everything down, than I'm logging! Sounds like you're on a good track and mindset, so good job!
  • homebrewer84128
    Options
    I went to a festival yesterday and there is no such thing as healthy at a festival so yeah I added the fish and chips with sauce and ketchup all the while knowing that it was a BAD day but I had to eat or put myself in starvation mode. It's important to log these so when you do have success you can go back and say....ya I remember that day and I got past it I didn't stay in the zone of bad for more than one day.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I think it goes back to the all or nothing mentality. If you eat too much one day, call it a slip up and move on. CHEAT is such a negative word. I also never call a food BAD, or say I AM BAD because I am NOT bad if I overeat. Any food in moderation won't kill you.
    There will be days/meals you will eat more than others. If you call yourself bad or say you're a cheater, then the negative semantics will just beat you down.

This!
    I record everything. I totally overate this weekend. I was surprised by a seafood buffet, and didn't have my phone with me. Now I am smarter because I was shocked by the calories in some of the foods that I ate. Yikes! but one doesn't grow if one doesn't make mistakes! RECORD EVERYTHING!!!! AND YOU WILL SUCCEED!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

Totally this! I never use judgmental words like good, bad, cheat, etc. It keeps any emotions out of the situations and helps keep me focused on the math of weight loss, which is what matters in the end.

7396232.png
  • ammp
    ammp Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    We had a family BBQ on the 4th and everything was homemade, so for that day I logged nothing. I am horrible at guesstimating and need to pre plan and weight everything. So for that day I just relaxed. Its a rare occurrence for me, I try to log every bite.
    If I do "cheat", I try not to make it a whole day thing, just one meal then punish myself in the gym later ;)
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Well I just had my first official cheat day yesterday. I logged everything, as I always do, but this time, I didn't log it *before* I consumed it.
  • ElikaCousland
    ElikaCousland Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I just had a revelation about this today myself. I'm not the kind of person who can have one slice of pizza and fill up on salad to have a perfectly balanced 500 calorie meal. I'm the kind of person who will eat half of the pizza and lament not ordering breadsticks.

I used to never track those days. I'd call them failures (and me a failure), which associated foods I loved with negative feelings and generally made me miserable. Sometimes it would lead into the mentality of "oh well, I already effed today up, might as well have this delicious sundae and cookies and cookie-sundae", despite knowing logically that's stupid.

So last night I ate half a pizza, and tracked it. And I was only 600 calories over for the day. SUPER easy to make up for 600 calories - one extra workout and skip a snack or two and I'm right back on track. If I hadn't tracked, I wouldn't know how much I had to make up, or more than likely I just wouldn't bother. And now I'm not beating myself up for "binging", because I have a solid plan to overcome it.

Knowledge is power, and this is a numbers game. Track your noms.
  • cath14967
    cath14967 Posts: 27
    Options
    I don't do cheating I do living! I'm a busy mum if we have pizza for tea I eat what I need then if I need to I can do the extra work out or skip the night time munchies to balance the calories. I've been on holiday for the past week and tracked every mouthful I have had. Deserts included!! Over the week I have managed to balance out the caloires.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I don't need to log my food on here to know that I've eaten it...so it's not like I'm lying to myself or something.

It's all about personal preference, you'll do better on here if you do what works for you and not worry about what everyone else is doing!
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    As other posters said, I don't have cheat days, I treat myself! Sometimes that results in not logging if I ate a ton of food while out and can't remember what or how much (occasionally, it happens...) but otherwise I'll log even if it isn't a "good" day, just so I know.
  • HeartbeccaCA
    HeartbeccaCA Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I believe there is no such thing as cheating. Its all about choosing. I may choose to eat more than my allotment one day, or even two, but hey, I just plan and make up for it the next days. OR I just say enough and get right back on track. The price is paid at the weigh in... whether I lose not so much or not at all or even gain - Its called personal accountability. Whether I log it or not, an accounting of my choices show up at the weigh in.
    This log is for ME and no one else. It is a tool to help me get to my goal. There is no judgment here. I have learned to be OK with whatever choices I make. As Popeye said, "I yam what I yam," and its all good. I just promote or delay my ultimate goal based on my choices. Doesn't make me bad. Just is. :-)
  • vettech14
    vettech14 Posts: 28
    Options
    I log everything that I eat or drink.... The only thing that I don't log for the day is how much I do or don't work out. That never figures into my calories at all so I keep my intake at the same no matter what. Heck I have a hard enough time hitting 1200 I don/t need anything to make it look like I have to eat more...
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It's not cheating if you're in an open relationship. If you are truly monogamous with your food, bravo. For the rest of us who slip up, wander, or are prone to sniffing around where we don't belong (I'm looking at you, coffee creamer aisle), we accept the good with the bad and try to take it all in stride. If a minor (or major) fall to temptation ruins our relationship, it was never really meant to be.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    What you are eating, or not eating, affects only yourself.
    If you want to lose weight, and are serious about it, why do you want to eat more calories than you need to lose weight?
    It is not about cheating, it is about whether or not you want to overeat. Calories in, calories out.
    Most of us got to be overweight by over eating. It is about how badly you want to be healthier, and how soon you want to get there and stay there.
    Being human, we will overindulge sometimes. The key is (and it is definately not easy) not letting overeating become your way of life, like I did for too many years.
    Simple, yes. Easy, never. It takes effort, committment and living and eating a new way.