Question: For weight lifting?

Options
Hi Myfitnesspal people,

I want to start weight lifting but my question is how did you guys start? Of course the obvious answer is just lift them up and put em down LOL.

Did you guys start off with the exercise machine? or did you start off with barbell training?

Please share some advise that you might have for someone who is a total beginner.

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Here is a good group with lots of resources for beginners (check out the sticky posts):

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

There is also a New Rules of Lifting for Women group.

In general, free weights are better than machines, offering you more functional strength and being more time-efficient. But there is a steeper learning curve because you don't get pictures telling you what to do. I would suggest doing a bit of homework in advance if you are completely new to strength training, and focus on a few simple compound lifts. Those are the kind where more than one joint bends at a time--loaded squats, bench chest press, overhead dumbbell press, and so on.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Mostly barbell. Some of my accessory work requires machines (leg curls, delt flies, etc.) and some of it requires dumbbells (hammer curls, rows, etc.). Look up starting strength. Do that and add in some dips and pull ups.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    If you're doing it at a gym, I'd recommend the machines. You're less likely to drop something and hurt yourself. A lot of them have diagrams but if you can't figure them out, don't be afraid to ask for help. Staff or anybody, really. Everybody has a first time.

Give each muscle group 48 hours or so to recuperate after a solid workout. Upper body, lower body, core, whatever. Going everyday is a good way to hurt yourself.

You will hate leg day with a burning passion. This is normal, but don't give up. If you need more recovery time, great, but know that you will be sore for the first month. If you can walk the next day, you weren't going hard enough.

Take it easy, up your protein intake, and hydrate yourself sloshy.
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I started with a friend, a.k.a. spotter, and did mostly all dumbbell exercises. You build not only the target muscles but all the little fibers that control the weight. If you don't have a spotter and feel you need one on certain exercises then you need to use machines or ask somebody at the gym for a spot.
  • AiabliamsMommy
    AiabliamsMommy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts 5x5 using barbells:)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    For total beginners it is usually recommended to follow a program doing a full body work out three times per week.

As has probably already been suggested, strong lifts 5x5, Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women are all good beginner programs.

There is no reason not to start with free weights/barbell. Just start light and work on form then gradually increase the weight.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting I hired a trainer for a few sessions so I could be sure of proper form. I used a mix of free weights - dumbbells - and machines. I hired a trainer again when I started using barbells.

I agree that following a program is helpful. Always go to the gym knowing exactly what you are going to do so you don't waste your time.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Mostly barbell. Some of my accessory work requires machines (leg curls, delt flies, etc.) and some of it requires dumbbells (hammer curls, rows, etc.). Look up starting strength. Do that and add in some dips and pull ups.

Starting Strength actually includes pull-ups, and dips are listed as an assistance exercise--although you should not need it if you do a bench press and the other upper body lifts.
  • Friends1004
    Friends1004 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will definitely look into what everyone mentioned.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises for a while.
    First learn how to move your own body weight through space by using a program like Brooks Kubiks Dinosaur Body weight training or Convict Conditioning by Paul Wade.

After you progress in simple body weight exercises then look to Bill Stars 5x5 or strong lifts 5x5.

PS: body weight exercises naturally make your body leaner.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts 5x5 here too! Love it! Makes me wish I hadn't wasted so much time with little 10-20 pound weights!!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

Starting Strength actually includes pull-ups, and dips are listed as an assistance exercise--although you should not need it if you do a bench press and the other upper body lifts.
    I believe it says to add those in later. It's good to get started on them early.

Plus, just having one chest exercise is usually not enough. Dips help with that. Triceps are also hit from OHP but chest just has bench.