Breastfeeding Mama Needs Direction/Support

Options
Krissi72
Krissi72 Posts: 44 Member
Hey all!

I used MFP for 9 months last year while my husband was in Afghanistan. I was raising 2 young children and trying to get my health in check. I was going to the gym 5-6 times a week doing cardio, strength training, and sticking to a meal plan started by my nutritionist. I lost 30 pounds and felt the best I've ever felt in time for my husband to come home. Needless to say, I got pregnant the first week and just had my third child 3 weeks ago. :) I've lost 17 pounds since June 23rd when I delivered her which is great, but I wish to continue losing more so I don't feel so weak and lazy. I'm now feeling like my body is crying out to start exercising and eating much healthier (but enough to keep exclusively breastfeeding (no formula) which I heard requires me to eat an extra 300 calories a day to feed baby properly. My question is this: is it possible to lose body fat and tone muscle while breastfeeding? I want to do this all the right way so please, any guidance/support would be much appreciated. I just want to nourish my baby well and start feeling better about my body after the "trauma" pregnancy puts on your body and self confidence. Some friends to continue the journey with would also be a blessing so please "friend me" if you'd like to help and I'd love to help encourage you as well with your health and fitness goals!

---Krissi

Replies

• AmyJo527
    AmyJo527 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I used MFP after both of my pregnancies while exclusively breastfeeding...It was actually when I had the easiest time losing weight! You can log breastfeeding under foods and it will add to your calorie allowance...I think for exclusively breastfeeding an infant it is +500 calories, and for breastfeeding an older baby or supplemented baby it is +300 calories. This will give you plenty of nutrition to continue making milk for your baby and still lose weight. I did not start exercising again until my doc gave me clearance at 6 weeks pp, but I took short walks when I felt up to it, usually with my daughter in the Moby wrap :smile: Just make sure you are eating nutritionally sound food, drink lots of water, and listen to your body. If you feel hungry, eat! But it is definitely possible to lose the weight while still producing plenty of milk! Good luck and congrats on the new baby!!!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your body. Some women lose weight easily while nursing, others (like me) just couldn't) Regardless, you can keep eating healthy, tracking and exercising and you'll feel better.

Log in that nursing and as mentioned MFP conveniently adds those calories in. :)