Getting hungry on TDEE

Options
Hello all. I looked up the TDEE diet, because I do a lot of exercise, and eating back calories wasn't doing it. I figured with moderate exercise (I either jog 30 minutes or rollerblade for an hour, or now I may pick up light cycling for an hour too) 3-5 times a week that my TDEE should be about 2050 (I'm maintaining). But lately that's just not enough and after doing some cardio/weights at the gym, i was hungry yesterday, and hungry today after my bike ride. Am i sorely underestimating my exercise routine? With my exercise routine should I just not concern myself with how much I intake (i know that sounds silly on a calorie counting website).
One other thing about TDEE that bothers me is if BMRis ~ 1300 x 7=9100 and my TDEE is around 14000 per week, how does the exercise balance that, or is that not the point? thanks!

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Multiplier
    1.2 Desk job with little exercise OR Little to no exercise
    1.375 1-3 hrs/wk of light exercise OR Light exercise (1–3 days per week)
    1.55 3-5 hrs/wk of moderate exercise OR Moderate exercise (3–5 days per week)
    1.725 5-6 hrs/wk of strenuous exercise OR Heavy exercise (6–7 days per week)
    1.9 7-21 hrs/wk of strenuous exercise/work OR Very heavy exercise (twice per day, extra heavy workouts)

You seem to do 3-5 hours of cardio a week+weight lifting, yeah? Maybe you should consider going up a level.
  • riblust
    riblust Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Also, the activity multipliers are very approximate and just a starting point. The best approach is to use your fitness logs to calibrate your TDEE to your own body.

Track your body composition metrics and nutrition for several months, with a consistent exercise routine over that time. Compare weight gain/loss against calories consumed and use the analysis to adjust your daily calorie target accordingly.
  • jadisfeigns
    jadisfeigns Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i don't normally lift weights, it was the one time (and they weren't strenuous weights). But both are valid points, I may have to up it even based on what I do. I think I saw once it's not how much you weigh, but how your body is in size wise. Thank you!
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Hunger doesn't always indicate need for food.

You said you're maintaining your weight at 2050 so that is your TDEE. I didn't look at your diary but changing up the source of those calories can fix the hunger/satiety/appetite issue.

ETA: Were you saying that you are trying to maintain and to do that the TDEE calculator recommended 2050 or that you are currently eating 2050 and maintaining?
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Also remember that's just a calculation...you need to find out what works for you. Just because the calculation says that, doesn't mean its true.

Trial and error!
  • jadisfeigns
    Options
    Yeah i'm essentially trying to maintain my weight (114 at 5'4") on 2050 per day with exercise throughout the week. I typically eat oatmeal in the morning, sandwich or soup for lunch, rice and chicken for dinner, and then it's almonds, yogurt, carrots, or string cheese as my two snacks. I am for 300-500 for large meals, 200 for snacks. but maybe the whole satiety thing isn't working. and it is also possible that the calculation isn't accurate as well. I have no idea what I put my body through lol
  • shutupandlift13
    Options
    Yeah i'm essentially trying to maintain my weight (114 at 5'4") on 2050 per day with exercise throughout the week. I typically eat oatmeal in the morning, sandwich or soup for lunch, rice and chicken for dinner, and then it's almonds, yogurt, carrots, or string cheese as my two snacks. I am for 300-500 for large meals, 200 for snacks. but maybe the whole satiety thing isn't working. and it is also possible that the calculation isn't accurate as well. I have no idea what I put my body through lol

Is your weight fairly stable at this amount of calories? What is your macronutrient distribution (%pro, %carb, %fat or g pro, g carb, g fat)?

2050 is probably a good number for you for maintenance. It could be just a matter of changing up your eating schedule. Are there times during the day where you aren't very hungry but eat anyway? Or times where you are really hungry but don't have a lot calories left?
  • jadisfeigns
    Options
    my weight has been maintaining at this level. i haven't really paid much attention to the Macro part of dieting unfortunately. I do feel like I will jump the gun and eat when I'm not hungry. That may play a big part in my getting hungrier later in the day, because by that time i have "nothing left in the bank"
  • shutupandlift13
    Options
    my weight has been maintaining at this level. i haven't really paid much attention to the Macro part of dieting unfortunately. I do feel like I will jump the gun and eat when I'm not hungry. That may play a big part in my getting hungrier later in the day, because by that time i have "nothing left in the bank"

Play with your eating schedule a bit. Maybe rather than have a few small snacks throughout the day, save those calories for later. It might take a few days to get used to, but it could help with the evening hunger.

Also, make sure you're getting adequate protein and fat. These tend to be more satiating and are also essential for nutrient absorption and maintenance of lean body mass.

Don't overdo it on the cardio, it can lead to a more ravenous hunger. If running or biking or swimming and even types of circuit training is your thing, by all means keep doing it, but realize that you might be way more hungry after those activities than you might be after something like strength training even if you have the same TDEE with any of those activities.

The weightloss plateau that is associated undereating for someone with your stats would probably only be a concern if you were eating less than ~1500 calories or doing hours upon hours of cardio daily.
  • jadisfeigns
    Options
    awesome I will definitely try that out! I appreciate the advice and suggestions!
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    In my experience hunger can be neatly managed by timing. I often felt hungry after my exercise in the evening, but I'm used to skipping breakfast altogether. The solution was easy for me, I either eat a very light breakfast or skip it altogether. This works for me because I don't feel the need to binge at lunch, so at night I got plenty of calories to satisfy my post exercise appetite.