Whey Allergy? Other protein sources please

Options
I have a hard time getting enough protein in my day. I do eat meat, mostly chicken or ground turkey, but still have a hard time meeting this macro. I thought I would try protein powders just to supplement, not really a meal replacement, you know, just a boost. Through some reading on these forums I chose the Body Fortress brand Vanilla whey protein powder. Seemed like folks thought it didn't taste like crap and was relatively easy to find. Anyway.....I tried it mixed with some non-fat milk, didn't taste bad at all. Theeeen.....the red splotches started, and the itchiness. The first night I wasn't sure, because I had taken a hot shower right after drinking it, and thought maybe I just had the water to hot, right? Yeah, well, next night I tried it again, even worse reaction. So I don't know if it's the whey, or another ingredient in the powder, but apparently it is not going to work for me. Giving the bottle (because of course I bought the bigole honking tub) to a friend. Any suggestions on a different type? I have heard soy is maybe not the way to go,....

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• kjoey77
    kjoey77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can help suggest different types of protein.
    My name is Kelly :-)
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Are you going to try and sell me something? I really just want suggestions....so you can just post them here, thanks!
  • kjoey77
    kjoey77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It´s best to eat vegetable protein: lentils, beans,....Soy is one of the best as it has all of the essencial aminoacids :-)
    We only actually absorb a 30% of animal protein
  • ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    i use soya based protein powders to top up my protein intake as i have the same issue, hope you find one that suits you :smile:
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    whey is made from milk proteins, so it would seem weird to me that you would be allergic to whey but not milk... just thinking outloud though, im not an expert, but i would assume it wasn't the whey itself but another ingredient. the only way to know is to experiment. you can google all types of protein, there's:

casein
    whey isolate (no lactose)
    egg
    pea
    rice
    soy
  • chaoticrunner
    chaoticrunner Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I agree with vienna_h, it is strange to have a reaction to whey protein if you don't have a problem with milk. Do you have any sort of intolerance with milk? If not, look at the other ingredients in the powder to see if there's anything in there that you've had problems with before. Different brands will have different fillers. You might just have to experiment with a few different kinds to find what doesn't give you a reaction. Keep track if you have another reaction to any other kind to see if any of the ingredients overlap to isolate what your allergy may be.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I use Hemp protein because I'm lactose intolerant and whey hates me. :)

ETA: It's also vegan friendly if you ever plan on trying that out.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You allergic to Whey or to Lactose?
    If lactose intolerant, you need a whey protein isolate, which is lactose free. But it has to contain only whey isolate, not concentrate (which contains lactose)
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you all for your replies. I did some checking and it turns out it was not the whey, but either the creatin or the taurine in jut that particular brand that was interacting with a medication I am on. I have found one with just the whey and no added "stuff". When I tried that one, no itchiness or red splotches. Thank you again for the responses :happy:
  • kindredspirit96
    kindredspirit96 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Kelly is trying to sell Herbalife. She sent me a private message about it from another thread, where I had asked about some protein shakes, because I'm new here.

I think it's kinda shady.

Are you going to try and sell me something? I really just want suggestions....so you can just post them here, thanks!