Philly Cheesestak Sammich.

Options
lina1131
lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
Please do not shoot me for I do not have a picture of the perfection that I consumed yesterday. I can only tell you what I did to make it and let you go and create your own masterpiece.

Yesterday I was in the mood for a Philly but was not in the mood for all the calories. So I decided to make my own. It was awesome. Nom.

1 Market Pantry Hoagie (is that how you spell hoagie? :laugh: )
Some Smart Balance butter stuff
2 oz thinly sliced rib eye
Some sliced onions
Some sliced green peppers
Some sliced Mushrooms
Whatever your little heart desires for spices, salt, pepper, garlic, etc.
1 Slice 2% Kraft American Cheese
Sliced Tomatoes

Put some smart balance butter stuff in sautee pan, add onions, beef, green peppers and mushrooms. Sautee until the meat is cooked.

Toast hoagie (hoggy, hoe-gy). Add meat mixture to the bread in a sandwich like form and top with your cheese and tomatoes.

I ate mine with ketchup and it was divine.

ETA: it's appx 450 calories.

Enjoy!

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing, sounds delicious
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    It just goes to show you, there are better ways to make our favorites!! Thanks for sharing!
  • nursee67
    Options
    Sounds yummy!
  • AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am so making this for lunch tomorrow....thanks=)
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Sounds simple and delish! Thanks! :flowerforyou:

And I think I can make a tiny improvement on your masterpiece.... :wink:

I would suggest using a light string cheese (mozarella stick) instead of the American cheese, and laying the strings, oh so carefully, across the open-faced sandwich and putting it under the broiler to get the cheese all bubbly! YUM!
  • lina1131
    Options
    Sounds simple and delish! Thanks! :flowerforyou:

And I think I can make a tiny improvement on your masterpiece.... :wink:

I would suggest using a light string cheese (mozarella stick) instead of the American cheese, and laying the strings, oh so carefully, across the open-faced sandwich and putting it under the broiler to get the cheese all bubbly! YUM!

The husband was insisting that we use mozzarella, but I wanted the American. Next time i'll try some Mozzy!
  • ThinLori
    Options
    NICE!!!
    Recipe AND weight loss!
    I just started here and this is just the reason I joined!
    Thank you!
  • leesey1
    leesey1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh thanks so much, i love philly cheesesteaks & i havent had once since trying to lose weight. I LOVE YOU! (and so does my tummy) lol :laugh:
  • jamie1888
    Options
    Yeah, American gives you that nice, cheesy flavor... the Moz just gives you that chewy, bubble texture. Either way sounds FAB!! :happy:
  • faithjones83
    faithjones83 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    this sounds good, I might try this with toast instead of the bun and save me some calories. Won't count as a philly more like a texas cheesesteak from Waffle house. if your from ga you know what I'm talking about:)
  • lissakay
    Options
    Sound fantastic! Thanks for sharing!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I'm just confused as to why this is "healthier" than any normal philly cheesesteak? I've only had one but it was on a hoagie...and the steak and onions & peppers were grilled and then cheese was placed on top.
  • jodie_t
    jodie_t Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Oh god that sounds good. I have to have one now :tongue:
  • lina1131
    Options
    I'm just confused as to why this is "healthier" than any normal philly cheesesteak? I've only had one but it was on a hoagie...and the steak and onions & peppers were grilled and then cheese was placed on top.

I didn't butter my hoagie like most places would.

I didn't use butter like most places do. I used smart balance. Places use butter to cook the steak.

I used 2% American cheese and controlled the amount of cheese. Other places will pile the cheese on.

Personally, anything I make at home that I can control is healthier in my opinion.
  • jamie1888
    Options
    Yes, you control the salt and fat that's added in the cooking process. You've also controlled the portions of cheese and steak. You can always choose a whole grain roll or bread.If you use something like a "Thin Bun", the bread is only 100 calories.