Bacon nutrition info for cooked vs uncooked

Options
astrovivi
astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
OK maybe someone can help me out here ...

I have the nutritional info for my dry cured streaky bacon (free range, awesome stuff .. no gluten, no nitrates, happy piglets, lovely boys who run the farm etc etc LOL)

Let's take tonight's serve ... I had a 75 gram portion (uncooked weight). It's streaky...there's rivers of fat through this thing.

12 grams of fat, for this portion, according to the nutritional panel. That's cool.

BUT I cook it and get about 13 grams of fat runoff (yes, I measured it :D

I cooked it really crispy crunchy on a grill so the fat rendered out to the max. It's awesome stuff.

But now it's clear that I have not ingested 12 grams of fat, although I know that not all the run off must be fat cos the bacon won't be totally fat free (will it? nooo can't be).
But how do I negate some of this fat on MFP as it won't allow me to do that??

Does anyone know what the cooked vs uncooked nutritional info is for streaky bacon cooked crispy?
I have searched here and via google in various ways .. no luck

thanks for any input :)

Replies

• pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    There is always going to be a variance on the exact calorie count and composition of a food, especially more natural foods like meat, where the amount of fat is going to be dependent on the animal it came from. It would be impossible to be completely accurate as to how much fat each slice of your bacon has, so the nutritional information just gives you an average.

Given this information, if you started just not counting the fat that came off, you could be underestimating your calories by quite a way, because you dont know exactly how much you started with.

I think it's such a minor contention you should just track it raw, and consider the fat runoff a bonus calorie deficit.

TLDR; Don't bother.
  • astrovivi
    Options
    Thanks. Yes, this is what I always do actually.

It just made me wonder tonight as I was making dinner. I might make a note of it so I don't freak out over my fat quota.

As I'm not trying to lose weight it's actually a moot point. I was more interested just for interest's sake.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about going slightly over your fat macro. The mfp standard macros aren't for everyone and many people eat way more fat than that without any issues.
  • mattpitts90
    Options
    as an estimate when cooked really crispy you would be looking at 4-5cal per gram. it may be slightly less or more but i would go with 5 cal per gram, easy
  • astrovivi
    Options
    Don't worry too much about going slightly over your fat macro. The mfp standard macros aren't for everyone and many people eat way more fat than that without any issues.

I don't follow MFP. I have customised my macros to my own goals (have been doing this for some time and have it down to a fine science).

I'm never fussed going over. I cycle my carbs and fats about throughout the week with training anyways.
    It really was just an interesting thing that I hadn't really thought about. I suppose because I usually cut all the fat off my bacon and it was the first time I'd tried streaky bacon (can't really cut it off that lol).
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    the willpower of someone to measure the amount of fat while their bacon is cooling is incredible.

And sorry, I have nothing helpful to add. I just eat low fat bacon :tongue:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Let's take tonight's serve ... I had a 75 gram portion (uncooked weight). It's streaky...there's rivers of fat through this thing.

12 grams of fat, for this portion, according to the nutritional panel. That's cool.

A lot of that 13 gram run off will be water too, not 100% fat, so the run off may be 13 grams, but of that how much is actual fat?
  • astrovivi
    Options
    the willpower of someone to measure the amount of fat while their bacon is cooling is incredible.

And sorry, I have nothing helpful to add. I just eat low fat bacon :tongue:

haha Chris, i know ... I was measuring it out thinking ... stop being so damned curious ...

as per above, i always eat low fat bacon too which is probably why i got so curious
  • astrovivi
    Options

A lot of that 13 gram run off will be water too, not 100% f
    at, so the run off may be 13 grams, but of that how much is actual fat?

yes precisely. obviously some of that is moisture as well as fat as well as possibly other stuff.

i should be asking this on a science site not here haha ... just interesting stuff ...

ok sorry for being such a nerd, people :D
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I just log it as "cooked medium" bacon and forget about it. Definitely don't log it's pre-cooked values unless you are also eating all the greece that came off of it (like in a chili, or a sauce)
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I use the costco cooked bacon as my guide. 40 calories and 3 grams of fat each piece.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Don't most bacon packages estimate calories based on pan fried/cooked values? I bake mine so there is more runoff than pan fried slices, but it is not significant unless your diet has lots and lots of bacon in it.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    It's BACON! WHY are you concerned?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I use the costco cooked bacon as my guide. 40 calories and 3 grams of fat each piece.

This is what I use also. I use the nutrition facts for pre-cooked bacon. I doubt there will be enough of a difference between different brands and cooking methods to be off by hundred of calories. Close enough for me. Besides its bacon and worth every delicious calorie.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Yep. Had two this am on toast with PB2. Ahhh....
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about this as well. There must be a pretty wide range based on cooking, especially for thick bacon. But bacon is a pretty small portion of my daily intake, so practically there's not a whole lot of gain from trying to increase precision.
  • astrovivi
    Options
    It's BACON! WHY are you concerned?

lol read my posts .. I'm hardly concerned :laugh:

I was simply curious!

Extra calories from any source are no concern for me at all, on the contrary they are most welcome :)