Anyone doing a VLCD (very low calorie diet)?

Options
Just curious if any of you are doing the VLCD program? I started about 2 1/2 weeks ago and looking to see what it is you all are eating. I have just been eating all of the meal replacements that I get from my doctor BUT I am wanting a little more variety. Anyone??? :)

Thanks,
Charity

Replies

• theibster
    theibster Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi there, I'm doing a VLCD :) what sort of things do you like eating? I've low-carbed off and on for years too so had to learn to be pretty adventurous :D
  • bellaconfusa
    Options
    I did Medifast for maybe 2 months and I did drop a lot of weight, but I found the meal replacement items to be kind of gross and I got bored with them after a while. I didn't properly transition myself off of the diet and back to normal food so I ended up gaining a lot of the weight back. I find that using this site and keeping track of my calorie intake with normal food is working well for me. It's not a quick fix, but I think that we, as a society, need to get over our need for "instant gratification."
  • CharityS40
    Options
    I am on week 11 and down 37.5 lbs so far. I find doing the VLCD to be really easy! My doctor that I go to has alot of different food choices to select from. So I try to change it up every week.

This would be a typical day:
    Breakfast: Protein Shake (Premier Protein Ready to Drink)
    Snack: Protein Bar (Usually by Advanced Health Systems or Health Wise)
    Lunch: Protein Shake (Mix 1 pack vanilla and 1 chocolate of Advanced Health Systems Pudding & Shake Mix)
    Snack: Another Protein Bar or sometimes the Chocolate Chip Cookies by Health Wise
    Dinner: 1 cup cottage cheese, non-fat

It is usually around 800 calories, 95 grams protein, 55-60 carbs.

What do you eat? Are you taking Phentermine?
  • CharityS40
    Options
    Oh I heard that the Medifast meal replacements were gross! With the VLCD I can also eat regular foods but I usually choose to do the meal replacements only because I don't have to put thought into it. :) I too love this site! It really does help you become more aware of the things you are putting into your body. I don't put a bite of food into my mouth unless I have checked MFP to see if it will fit into my daily totals. :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I am on week 11 and down 37.5 lbs so far. I find doing the VLCD to be really easy! My doctor that I go to has alot of different food choices to select from. So I try to change it up every week.

Lunch: Protein Shake (Mix 1 pack vanilla and 1 chocolate of Advanced Health Systems Pudding & Shake Mix)
    Snack: Another Protein Bar or sometimes the Chocolate Chip Cookies by Health Wise

Wow, and what happens when you quit doing this?
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    That just sounds . . . . . horrible. I think I would feel like I was starving, and I know I would spend most of my time being "hangry". How do you have the energy to work out?

Best of luck to you.
  • pru101
    pru101 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started VLCD today! So anyone please feel free to add me. Im using herbalife which i find are really nice. I have them twice a day (usually breakfast and lunch) and for dinner ill have fresh homemade soup. So usual intake (<800cal) oh and i have 3L water daily.

I read a lot about the Cambridge Diet and have adapted from there (as its too expensive). I know a lot of people say once you go back to eating normal you will put it back on which is true. But i feel from this diet you really understand your body and how adaptable it is. Plus once you hit your ultimate goal you know having Pizza/chips/fast food and chocolates all the time is bad. As this is not a quick fix and i PLAN to stick to this diet for only 10 weeks (as its not recommended any longer than 12 weeks) you will automatically not want to eat junk food all the time knowing how much effort you put in losing weight.

Once you transition into eating normal foods it should be healthy normal foods. Plus lots of exercise. Ever wondered why slim/skinny women go gym 3-4 times a week. This is the reason. As i also wondered this and asked them and they told me that staying slim needs to be maintained as a life style change and indulging on food has to be followed by exercising.

Anyways. I hope this helps :D Good luck
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I think there are rules on the forum about promoting VLCDs as they are generally not terribly safe or healthy.
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why you're doing a VLCD? I assumed these kinds of diets were for very overweight people right before surgery? How can it be healthy and sustainable long term?

Sounds like a recipe for messing up the metabolism and lots of weight gain in the future...
  • aliapike
    aliapike Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did Lighter Life which is a VLCD. I lost over 3 stone on the food packs, and then a bit more as I slower introduced food back into my diet. Going through that gradual process is really important as it allows you the time to listen to your body and how it responds to certain foods.
    But I didn't keep up all the techniques and let old habits crept back in, I've got about a stone of extra weight to budge.
    As Special Sundae said, we don't want to promote anything unhealthy. I would go back to your doctor, ask for more advice on what other food you can eat, and maybe look at some other forums about VLCD.
    Good luck!!
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I certainly for one am going to stick to having my food in a healthy way and losing slowly......this doesn't sound safe, plus what a way to have to spend the rest of your life because what is going to happen to your body once you reintroduce proper food.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why you're doing a VLCD? I assumed these kinds of diets were for very overweight people right before surgery? How can it be healthy and sustainable long term?

Sounds like a recipe for messing up the metabolism and lots of weight gain in the future...

your common sense isnt wanted here!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

your definition of dinner is VERY different to mine!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    This all sounds so miserable. I can't relate to why anyone would choose to endure 800 calorie/day dieting when most women could (and should) eat around twice as much that amount to lose weight....

:noway:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    This all sounds so miserable. I can't relate to why anyone would choose to endure 800 calorie/day dieting when most women could (and should) eat around twice as much that amount to lose weight....

:noway:

Agreed, I'd rather be happy and losing slower than miserable and skinny fast and then risk whacking it all back on when I go off my "diet".
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I think there are rules on the forum about promoting VLCDs as they are generally not terribly safe or healthy.
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal

Not a Debbie Downer at all - you are absolutely right. The focus of MFP is sensible eating and, er, fitness. There are other forums for VLCD, which are not advocated by MFP. Far too many people have come to MFP to make the step away from undereating/orthorexia and discussions about VLCD are not helpful.
  • Rilzy
    Rilzy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yikes. I get a headache just thinking about eating only 800 cals per day - I'd work off 700 of those in one gym session. I'm really happy that the OP is working along with a doctor too. I hope that anyone considering a VLCD will do the same and rely on a doctor to ensure that everything is going the way it should go.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

In what universe is this healthy... or sustainable?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    As the others said, and I have been there in the past so I can offer real advice, a VLCD is a horrible idea. You will lose precious muscle mass and when you come off of it, you're going to be weak, and your body isn't going to know what to do with extra calories except to store them! Hence the pounds come right back on!

Also, you're not eating any real food at all.

If you want to stick to a LOWER calorie diet to lose weight, up your calories slightly to start and replace some of the shakes with real food. You'll be surprised to know that a good sized piece of chicken (5oz) and a huge plate of veggies can be very low calorie, like 300 calories. Your body will thank you, and you can still stick to your diet goals.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Why would anyone willingly eat a VLCD?! This makes me so sad.

Slow weight loss with sustainable eating habits > Starving yourself and losing muscle mass.
This discussion has been closed.