Struggle to drink water!!

Options

Replies

• buggings
    buggings Posts: 18
    Options
    I am like you, I hate it as well.. It just doesn't appeal to me unless I'm really tired after a workout.

So, what I've found works for me, is I time myself every day to see how fast I can drink 3 liters of water in one sitting.. It sounds like a steep goal, but it usually takes 5ish minutes.

I may have to use the wash room a lot shortly after, but it's worth it.
  • shed50kg
    shed50kg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the replies ; - )

I will definitely try some of your tips, however I do not dislike the taste of water, it is more that I am never thirsty enough to drink it.

I normally drink 2 cups of coffee per day, and maybe 0.5 litre of water. I struggle to drink much more than that. I weigh 311 lbs too, so a big guy. At the moment I am pretty stationary when it comes to exercise, so hopefully once I start my exercise program then I will naturally want to drink more.
  • shed50kg
    shed50kg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The suggestion that most liquids count and it doesn't have to be plain water is a good one.

However (and this may not be popular or helpful) I find it hard to muster up sympathy for people who say they 'struggle' to drink pure, unpolluted water from a tap or bottle when 3.4 million people die every year in developing countries because they have to drink muddy disease ridden water from puddles that animals have tramped through and sewers lead into. Kind of puts the 'problem ' into perspective....

I was not looking for sympathy ; - ), I am only looking for advice. BTW, I actually live in a developing country in the tropics, and the problem here is not so much there is no water, it is more an educational problem. I actually work with a program which is helping teach poor communities on how to make water safe to drink, amongst teaching them many other things.
  • Project9
    Project9 Posts: 135
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any tips on drinking more water? I have never been one for drinking much water and I am really struggling trying to drink it, I see that many people say how important it is to drink water when losing weight but I struggle to drink even 2 cups a day ; - (

Thanks

I drink no sugar black tea and green tea. I hope that counts as "water" I drink a lot of coffee too which is "anti-water".
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of ice!!! It's the only way to drink anything for me!!! I have been filling a big glass (like the 32 ounce ones with ice and water, peeling and slicing a lime (or lemon but I prefer the lime), gently squeezing the lime into the glass, then putting the lime into the glass, and adding a touch of sweetener. I drink tons of it. It does get easier the more you drink it.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Drink carbonated spring water that has a fruit essence in it such as Poland Springs.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    drink it ice cold a nd just sip it through out the whole day
    may be even bottled water if that's easier and more convenient for you
    you can also put lemon wedges in it
    or 0 cal water enhancers such as mio fit
  • JonMB
    JonMB Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yo! I had a similar issue. I never feel thirsty. Here's what worked for me:

1. Buy a nice refillable water bottle.

2. If you have a smartphone, download a timer app that will remind you every 90 minutes or so to drink a cup of water. By the end of the day, you'll have a good 8-10 cups in you.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I have the iDrated app on my phone which I really like. Or you could but 8 rubber bans on your wrist each day and take on off each cup of water you drink, that would help remind you?
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I tell ya I hate water too. No lie... hate it. I still hate it even though I drink 13 glasses a day. I've tried the mio AND the crystal lights, the sugar free drinks also... and yep, they contain the aspartame, but I still drank it like crazy because I thought I was doing myself a favor regardless. Well... after 3 days of non stop drinking that stuff I developed headaches that would NOT go away. I stopped drinking those things and the next day with just drinking water my headaches were gone...and I haven't had one since I did away with the sugar free stuff. I wish you the very best... and if you do try the aspartame and you don't have a problem with it, then by all means have a go at it.... I just couldn't drink it so I had to get used to water.

I wish you the very best on this. :flowerforyou:
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any tips on drinking more water? I have never been one for drinking much water and I am really struggling trying to drink it, I see that many people say how important it is to drink water when losing weight but I struggle to drink even 2 cups a day ; - (

Thanks

Find a glass that measures 2 cups.. and drink 4 of those. I find that drinking water early in the day helps to get it over with. Keep it up till it becomes habit.
  • the4rascals
    Options
    Hi! You know, I've struggled with the same thing and I've found something that really helps. It sounds dumb, but have you tried drinking it really cold? I used to drink water with ice and would struggle through it but then bought a water cooler (like they have in offices) and for some reason it tastes delicious. No ice, filtered water and ice cold, it's great! I don't know why it was such a big difference for me......maybe it's all in my head. lol
  • pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I like to add fresh lemon to my water. it helps it feel ever more refreshing. One other thing I do is make up about 10 Cups of boiling water in a pan, add 10-12 peppermint tea bags and let it steep for a while. While it is still hot I add enough honey to make it taste good. Then I let it cool, then put it in a pitcher and keep it in my fridge. When it is really hot outside or after I have been working out, a nice tall glass of ice cold peppermint tea REALLY hits the spot.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Thanks

I love water. I used to hate it but the more I drank it the more I got used to it
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I add a little lemon juice, a little lime juice, and a little Stevia and I have my own sorta un-carbonated Sprite... It's yummy, actually.
  • dmarien
    dmarien Posts: 58
    Options
    I have a large container with a straw for some reason I seem to drink it faster through a straw...i also put lemons in my water. The change in flavor for me helps.
  • matyoung125
    matyoung125 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The body uses 2 lts of water a day through perspiration, respiration etc therefore it needs to be replaced.This doesn't mean you have to drink 2 lts of water a day.

A chicken breast is approximately 70% water by weight. All none dried foods contain water. Okay you may loose some when cooking but it all contributes to the 2ltr requirement.
    You can also drink tea, coffee, squash etc as again they are mostly water. Watch the intake though as too much can act as a diuretic.

Interesting point you know who came up with the drink 2 lts of water a day thing? A bottled water company in the 50's!!
  • ludds
    ludds Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I tend to make myself have a small drink everytime I'm in the kitchen, then I make sure I carry around 500ml bottles everywhere I go.

I have no problem reaching my quota on work days, but find it harder on days off (if only I had the same issue with wine consumption on days off!!)
  • stufielding
    stufielding Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I Add splashes of vita coco to mine... I don't mind water on its own, but doing this increased intake loads while sat at my desk.

And then the added exercise getting up and walking downstairs for a p!ss is just a bonus :)
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    The suggestion that most liquids count and it doesn't have to be plain water is a good one.

However (and this may not be popular or helpful) I find it hard to muster up sympathy for people who say they 'struggle' to drink pure, unpolluted water from a tap or bottle when 3.4 million people die every year in developing countries because they have to drink muddy disease ridden water from puddles that animals have tramped through and sewers lead into. Kind of puts the 'problem ' into perspective....

I was not looking for sympathy ; - ), I am only looking for advice. BTW, I actually live in a developing country in the tropics, and the problem here is not so much there is no water, it is more an educational problem. I actually work with a program which is helping teach poor communities on how to make water safe to drink, amongst teaching them many other things.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It wasn't aimed at you specifically, I just see so many of this type of post on here and struggle to understand why. Maybe because I'm from the UK and we don't seem to have the culture of addiction to soda/ flavoured drinks that the people responding from the US seem to have - at least for my generation. It's not as if there anything objectionable to water - it doesn't taste of anything or have a nasty texture and you can serve it at whatever temperature you like. If you sip it throughout the day it won't make you feel bloated or sick. (This coming from someone who had real physical issues with food textures/ tastes as a child.) The big bonus of course is zero cals (which means you can eat more, yay!) and no nasty chemicals.

I still think struggling to drink water is a bit of a non-issue, though:tongue: Everyone just needs to have a word with themselves.