Mexican Restaurant help!

Options
I am going out for supper tonight to a Mexican restaurant. I'm fairly new to this and I want to stay on track. I welcome any helpful tips of things that would be good to order and definitely things to stay away from. Any advice is welcome! Thanks!

Replies

• mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Try a naked burrito without the cheese/guac and all the fun stuff.
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    beef steak and salad :D
  • taylan14
    taylan14 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Avoid the chips! I always do fajitas (chicken or beef) and skip out on the torillas. I eat the meat, and veggies - go lightly on cheese, sour cream, guac......
  • Shaolin_Life
    Shaolin_Life Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I eat Mexican a LOT. Just log everything. and work it into your daily calories....moderation is the key for me.

Fish or shrimp.....rice..... good fat guacamole.

Tortilla Chips and refried beans add up calories very quickly.....I usually get pinto or black beans instead.

I look at MFP calories for similar items BEFORE I go out...You might consider that.

Have fun!
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The answer depends on how authentic the place is. If it's more Ameri-Mex kind of food, you're probably better off not going. Most American made attempts at Mexican dishes include a lot of fried stuff covered in cheese. For example, at a well known restaurant in the city where I live, a taco is a fried corn tortilla stuffed with seasoned ground beef covered in cheese, iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, and salsa (the kind with added sugar). Before it's fried, the tortilla alone goes for about 100 cal. All together, I'd estimate two tacos at about 500 calories. The plate usually comes with rice and beans covered in melted cheese, and so with a drink the entire meal could very well come out to 1000 plus calories. I hate that place, and not just because the food is high in calories. For the record, it's La Mesa in Omaha, NE.

If the restaurant you're going to is authentic, then I suggest carne asada. A taco truck that parks near my school every day has the most delicious carne asada tacos. They contain marinated, grilled steak, chopped onion, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime double wrapped in soft, small corn tortillas. I can eat four of them for fewer calories than two tacos at La Mesa, and they taste soooooooooooo much better. Their salsa is made with chiles, garlic, tomatoes, and other spices, and so it's low in calories. It's incredible. A lot of authentic Mexican cuisine has fish too. Mexico has more coastline than the U.S. and so a lot of traditional Mexican dishes come from the sea. I'd say a good rule of thumb is to look for fish dishes without cheese, sour cream, or guacamole.

Generally stay away from anything that says Frita. It's mostly delicious, but bad for you. Get your beans in the non-refried variety. If you manage to be good throughout dinner, reward yourself with some flan.
  • amyljl77
    amyljl77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    when I know I'm going out to eat I save as many calories as I can throughout the day (without starving myself-that will backfire) and maybe even work out a little extra. I love salsa and it's low in calories, so I portion control the chips (count them out if you have to) and then usually order one of my favorite things al a carte. Beans and rice aren't my favorite things so I skip them all together. The main thing is to get 1 or 2 items you really really want and skip the fillers and stuff you don't absolutely love. Tacos are surprising low in calories, so are fajitas and tostadas. I think as long as you avoid eating a huge burrito, chimichanga or combo plate you should be all right!
  • amyljl77
    amyljl77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add: I also try to look up food and get an idea of the calories BEFORE I go out and plan what I'm going to order. It's a tad psychotic but it works ;)
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    The place we frequent is pretty authentic. I get the grilled fish tacos in whole wheat tortillas and ask for black beans (whole, seasoned) instead of refried beans/cheese. They are wonderful! I also add spice to the salsa and savor just a few chips instead of scarfing!
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Tortillas make a nice plate cover so for burritos just skipping for tort is around 300cals. Fajita platters are usually pretty loaded with meat and veggies and you can leave the torts out. Don't skip the guac/avocados and sour cream those are good and filling. Skip the refried beans and go easy on the rice. Like another user said don't chow down on the basket of chips before you meal. Having a lighter lunch of skipping any afternoon snacks can help as well.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'm always surprised how much a tortilla is.
    I usually get enchiladas or a burrito.
    I like salsa and pico de gaio on it, and shy away from sour cream. (I never cared for sour cream in excess anyways).

I just make sure I have enough in my daily goals to have what I want to eat. Or, I just live life for the day and deal. Enjoy!

Oh, I always get black beans too on the side, if its a choice between that and pinto.

mjs-ask-hectors_-nws_-sears.jpg
  • amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ceviche! Fajitas are good, too. Authentic Mexican food is really not as bad for you as you might think. Corn tortillas are much lower in calories, delicious marinated meats, fresh salsas, real guac... I would go easy on rice and refried beans- black beans would be a much better option.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I usually order steak tacos without the shell. Steak, cheese, tomato, lettuce, and maybe some salsa aren't going to add up to much.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    I look at MFP calories for similar items BEFORE I go out...You might consider that.
    I do this too! If it's a chain restaurant, it should be in the myfitnesspal foods already. If not, I typically choose the generic stuff (and you can add 100 quick calories just to give you some leeway -- better to be safe than sorry). I usually look at the lower-cal foods and pick my meal from there.

I should mention that little changes will help, as well! If you can save some extra calories for dinner, switch your soda for water, and skip on the chips/salsa, you'll be fine! Have fun tonight (and enjoy yourself)!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    most Mexican restaurants have baked chicken or grilled tilapia.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Fajitas are always a good choice. Depending on your carb allowance, if you plan for them you can have tortillas, too. No certain type of food is your enemy--overindulgence in food is! Just make plans for the meal and work around it the rest of the day.

I also like to get a shrimp and chicken dish that my local restaurant serves. I like it because it tastes good with or without the tortillas (because it has a light cheese sauce on it). Some days, I don't have enough macros left for the tortillas.

Cheese is a good source of calcium. I developed osteopenia in one hip because I drastically cut my calcium intake for over a year. I've been adding cheese and other calcium-rich foods back into my diet due to this fact.

Edit: Enjoy your evening out and don't stress too much about what you're eating! BTW, you don't have to eat all of it at one sitting. If necessary, take some home to enjoy tomorrow!
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    avoid the tortillas, enchiladas, etc if you want to stay lower calorie, they're not bad for you but may have higher calories from the quantity of food you get, and from personal experience I know even when I try and portion control with mexican food, its too good not to eat it right then and there or pig out on it when I get home in the safe and sanctity of my own table.

They usually have a fresca menu or grilled / traditional parts on the menu. Go for those or if you're really that worried just get an appetizer as your entree and drink water (OR TEQUILA)
  • lovenaire
    lovenaire Posts: 10
    Options
    Do the corn tortillas. Remember that Carbs are important too in your intake.

Avoid the greasy enchiladas etc. Stick with the fish and fajitas etc. Moderate your portions. Make a single big fat fajita taco filled with meat and vegies. Eat it slowly and enjoy the conversation with your company as you eat. Drink lots of water. And you will find yourself satisfied. If not, nibble on the meat and vegies without a second tortilla.

The problem for me is to not have a margarita every time I'm at a Mexican place... for some reason that one adds up fast.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    some tips that I follow:
    *try a la carte instead of bundled meals (you can choose exactly what you want).
    *dressing on the side when possible
    *drink ice water instead of high (and empty) calorie drinks
    *beware of words like: cream sauce, battered/batter dipped/crispy, breaded, smothered (not saying not to order these - but ask because these are often deep fried and/or smothered in high calorie/fat sauces
    *try to stay away from the "mindless munching" like chips and salsa.
    *go for grilled chicken, vegetables, beans, big salad topped with chicken/beans, etc.

and you know what? enjoy yourself.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Try a veggie fajita... most places have a seasonal veggie one! I normally add shrimp, and my husband and I split it...we still usually have a take home container!