Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    The shower

This guys house

:drinker:
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    At this point in my life, eating out is unavoidable. I try to know in advance where we are going so that I can pre choose what I want. I don't have a set place for healthy choices, I just try to make healthy choices no matter where we go, with the occasional splurge. Looking at the nutrition information online before you go can help, or you can do a check in the database here on MFP to let you know what the "stats" are for many foods out there. Just watch some of the so called healthy choices because even the grilled chicken in salads or sandwiches can pack a wallop in calories and sodium, if you're watching that one.
  • Live4theLift
    Live4theLift Posts: 329
    Options
    If i want healthy and i want to eat out i go to a steakhouse and get a huge steak or a nice chicken breast. For quick fix i chose subway
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    The shower

This guys house

:flowerforyou:
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    McDonalds - Grilled chicken sweet chili McWrap
    Taco Bell - 3 crunchy tacos, no cheese
    Subway - Turkey on whole wheat, no cheese, most of the veggies, lite mayo
  • shandarr
    shandarr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I want to eat out, I go to my favorite sushi place. I love Japanese food anyway and so does my husband. I like that he can eat there as well and not feel like he's stuck eating my low cal stuff. Indian food typically has a lot of vegetarian choices and if you watch the sauces and don't eat too much rice, then it can be an option also. I don't like fast food; it's never a temptation, but I do like diner food which is probably worse. It was really hard to give up almost daily lunches at my favorite diner with my coworkers, but I made a compromise. One day a week and I can only have the Greek (or other) salad with dressing on the side, no garlic toast and water to drink.

The problem with eating out is that, for me anyway, it's tied in to socializing. If I don't eat out from time to time, then I don't get to enjoy my friends' company as much. When I go out with them, I skip the alcohol, bread, fried things, appys and deserts and get a reasonable entree and water, Perrier, regular coffee or tea to drink. Works out fine.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    For fast food chains--Subway, grilled chicken salads at Whataburger, chicken or turkey salad de-lite at Bill Miller (I love to add their marinated onions and pico), low-fat dressings.
    Mexican food--I order the chicken breast or steak instead of enchiladas, they usually have a veggie-based sauce, like tomatillo or ranchero, go light on the cheese and don't eat the rice or tortillas, borracho or charro beans are usually lower fat than refried.
    Asian--Panda Express mushroom chicken and string bean chicken with the mixed veggies instead of rice or chow mein.

Like others have said, check the menu ahead of time, if possible. Just watch out for the sodium, drink extra water when eating out.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    The shower

This guys house

:angry:
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    The shower

This guys house

:angry:

:tongue:
  • IzzyM210
    IzzyM210 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    McDonald's?? really,guys....lol
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    you make your own healthy choices
    mcdonalds
    fruit parfait with granola- 150
    iced tea or diet coke-0
    hamburger- 250
    side salad with low fat vinagerette dressing-55
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    McDonald's?? really,guys....lol

A grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo is around 450 calories. Not a bad option at all. Add a side salad with a low fat dressing for around 100 calories.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    If there's a Subway, that's where I go. Six-inch turkey breast on whole wheat. I deck it out, though.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Applebees has an AMAZING sirloin with garlic shrimp and steamed veggies for 550 cals. I am in love with it, and it's plenty filling. Anywhere else I have no luck with "low cal" food.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Applebees has an AMAZING sirloin with garlic shrimp and steamed veggies for 550 cals. I am in love with it, and it's plenty filling. Anywhere else I have no luck with "low cal" food.

Ooh, that does sound amazing:) Too bad my husband hates Applebees....
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I eat where everyone wants to eat and then choose from the menu based off my macros and calorie allotment.
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Before we are going to go out to eat, I go online and look at their menu and nutrition Guide.
    Go from there

Incredible Pizza Buffet: Skip the Pizza, Have mostly salad bar and a fist of Spaghetti with marinara sauce. Even have 1/2 cup of frozen vanilla yogurt.
    Subway They have a Veggie Delight Salad instead of Bread

Any restaurants are fine, just look at the menu and remind yourself of Portion Control
    I have Bread, ice cream but watch my portion control
    Husband likes to go out and eat at least once a week.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I have almost quit going out totally. Why you ask? I know for a fact a TON of restaurants do not handle their foods correctly and two... eh... people dont wash their hands!
    oh, and also - because of stories like this:
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/07/09/disgusting-behind-the-scenes-video-at-golden-corral-restaurant-goes-viral/
  • truppcl
    truppcl Posts: 2
    Options
    I don't think it is very realistic to never eat out so I am ALL for pre-planninng! As lots of other folks have said, check the menu before going. You can find something reasonable or create reasonable modifications just about anywhere.

Where I live we have Moe's - in addition to being able to control exactly what goes on your burrito/salad/taco/etc they also serve grass-fed beef, hormone-free chicken, organic, etc. The salsa bar allows you to get as much as you like and you can use for dressing. You can also get carbonated water and add lemon wedges for a very refreshing drink.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I like build-your-own sandwich and wrap places. We have a couple of local chains near us that are awesome.

I enjoy Panera as well.